ADVERTISEMENT

Davis to Baltimore

Pretty good spot for Carl to land from a Football perspective. Ngata is gone, maybe Carl can step right in. Good for him.

Carl in his comments seemed like he was more concerned about the "big contract" down the road, then actually playing like he really wanted one from the get-go. I don't think I ever heard Scherff utter a word about money. That may be why Davis dropped and Sherff is a Top 5 pick, priorities and not taking plays off as many thought Carl did - saw a lot of comments about being inconsistent. Food for thought kids.........................

Good luck to both, and to David Johnson, picked in the 3rd by the Cardinals.

Just my opinion, but I think he took way too many plays off and gas tank was a major issue. Our offense not being able to keep the D off the field and our inability to set an edge played a large part in that as well. Davis was a non-factor in far too many games, but when he was on, he was on. If he could play with 60% of the leverage and motor of Mike Daniels, he could be an All-Pro. Baltimore is a good place for him to land.

Carl has the talent, I don't think the light ever went on that he was playing for a big contract every down his senior season, If he would have been a true effort guy all the time he could have put quite a few more coins in his bank account on the contract he will soon sign.

Really thought he might get in the second round. Wonder if anything changed or if his interviews didn't go as well as he hoped. Seems like a good pickup for Baltimore though. He is going to gain some needed experience practicing against Yanda, that is for sure.

Really thought he might get in the second round. Wonder if anything changed or if his interviews didn't go as well as he hoped. Seems like a good pickup for Baltimore though. He is going to gain some needed experience practicing against Yanda, that is for sure.

His comments are not doing him any favors. When did he become all-world worthy of such whining?

His comments are not doing him any favors. When did he become all-world worthy of such whining?
Here's what you don't know....he worked out for Dallas within the last week and they told him they would draft him in the first round. So instead of seeing that come true, he got his first taste of the NFL meat market. Missing out on the first round was difficult, but seeing them take Gregory in the 2nd threw him for a loop. I told my daughter that Dallas was likely rolling the dice and hoping they'd get him in the 3rd....but Baltimore got him with the pick just before Dallas (made us very happy). Carl isn't whining, he's just a young man dealing with a difficult NFL reality. My son-in-law was in the room with Carl during the draft and texting my daughter throughout, FWIW....so I'm fairly confident my comments are accurate.

Reactions: iavagabond
Here's what you don't know....he worked out for Dallas within the last week and they told him they would draft him in the first round. So instead of seeing that come true, he got his first taste of the NFL meat market. Missing out on the first round was difficult, but seeing them take Gregory in the 2nd threw him for a loop. I told my daughter that Dallas was likely rolling the dice and hoping they'd get him in the 3rd....but Baltimore got him with the pick just before Dallas (made us very happy). Carl isn't whining, he's just a young man dealing with a difficult NFL reality. My son-in-law was in the room with Carl during the draft and texting my daughter throughout, FWIW....so I'm fairly confident my comments are accurate.
Good insight, thanks for posting.

Not saying that it happened in Carl's case, but a lot of times the player's agent paints a picture with a few too many roses.

Pretty good spot for Carl to land from a Football perspective. Ngata is gone, maybe Carl can step right in. Good for him.

Carl in his comments seemed like he was more concerned about the "big contract" down the road, then actually playing like he really wanted one from the get-go. I don't think I ever heard Scherff utter a word about money. That may be why Davis dropped and Sherff is a Top 5 pick, priorities and not taking plays off as many thought Carl did - saw a lot of comments about being inconsistent. Food for thought kids.........................

Good luck to both, and to David Johnson, picked in the 3rd by the Cardinals.
Carl said his first priority was taking care of his mother, so I suppose money is important to him in that regard. I remember just about the first thing Ronnie Lester(also from Chicago) did with his NBA signing money was to move his mother to a better neighborhood. You can't fault a kid for those wishes.

Not saying that it happened in Carl's case, but a lot of times the player's agent paints a picture with a few too many roses.
Actually, his agent (and the agents courting) him were telling him all along that his film was hurting him and he could go to the third round. It was the teams telling him they would take him higher that confused the issue. Like I said, Dallas literally told him just this week he was their first pick. Small wonder it was confusing to him.

Reactions: nu2u
Actually, his agent (and the agents courting) him were telling him all along that his film was hurting him and he could go to the third round. It was the teams telling him they would take him higher that confused the issue. Like I said, Dallas literally told him just this week he was their first pick. Small wonder it was confusing to him.

Good insight. Thanks jazzcat. Hopefully this will motivate him to work his tail off and kick some butt in the NFL. Congrats and good luck to Carl.

Carl said his first priority was taking care of his mother, so I suppose money is important to him in that regard. I remember just about the first thing Ronnie Lester(also from Chicago) did with his NBA signing money was to move his mother to a better neighborhood. You can't fault a kid for those wishes.
Money is important to everybody, unless you have a ton of it (ever notice how the only ones that say money isn't important, are the ones that have a boatload of it? B.S. in other words..........................)

As for Carl Davis, big difference between "I want to make some money to take care of my Mom", and what was actually said in multiple articles I've read of reporters talking to Carl Davis.

Carl came off as a guy who doesn't care if he actually makes plays, as long as he's paid a lot to try and make those plays. Because he's "so dominant" and all. If he put out 1/2 the effort Mike Daniels did while at Iowa, he'd have gotten his wish of being a 1st rounder perhaps.

He may be very different most of the time, but that is not what was quoted from him. It came off really bad as far as I'm concerned. Bad to the point I wouldn't want him on my team. The type of comments athletes make when they get their first monster check, then disappear after getting "paid". Professional sports are littered with these guys, and we all know who they are. How much time ya got? Long list.

I hope Carl Davis and all former Hawkeyes have long and illustrious NFL careers, or whatever happens with them in life. Let's just say I don't think he did himself any favors with his commentary regarding his draft status.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT