ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn Staley Suggests Racial Bias In NCAA's Iowa vs. LSU Review

I had no idea they were all women and not white...until now. And guess what - they still suck.

20378214-scaled-e1680572436560.jpg

I'm not sure why she feels the need to defend them. What the media has not seemed to pick up on is that officiating in women's basketball was not just terrible in the national championship game. It has been terrible in every game. Just look at the game last night. Hannah Stuelke had at least 2 or 3 fouls for just standing in the vicinity of Kitley.

With the increased attention that women's basketball is going to get this year and the larger numbers of people watching on TV, people are about to get a good dose of just how bad women's officiating is. Very few of the refs they have seem to be able to keep up with the pace of the game.

The author of the article is suggesting racial bias, I don't believe she did. Staley's comment was (read it), the refs were black so DON'T go making it a race thing. Granted - who the hell knew they were black in the first place to bring it up. It's usually those who see things through racial glasses.

The author of the article is suggesting racial bias, I don't believe she did. Staley's comment was (read it), the refs were black so DON'T go making it a race thing. Granted - who the hell knew they were black in the first place to bring it up. It's usually those who see things through racial glasses.
Well jeez, by saying DONT do it you kind of already did?

I'm not sure why she feels the need to defend them. What the media has not seemed to pick up on is that officiating in women's basketball was not just terrible in the national championship game. It has been terrible in every game. Just look at the game last night. Hannah Stuelke had at least 2 or 3 fouls for just standing in the vicinity of Kitley.

With the increased attention that women's basketball is going to get this year and the larger numbers of people watching on TV, people are about to get a good dose of just how bad women's officiating is. Very few of the refs they have seem to be able to keep up with the pace of the game.

It was a NC game and 37 (record) fouls called. The point is the network was inundated with calls from a pissed off public during the game due the stoppage. This is an issue in TV land and the NCAA has to be concerned of inept officiating when 10,000,000 people are watching a sport, many for the 1st time.

Marketing is everything and for 3 referring officials to determine the flow of a game of at this level, especially since you can't disregard the impact a generational player like Caitlin Clark brings to the table the public tuned in to see action and excitement.

The officiating crew in that NC game that crew was inept and incompetent. For the NCAA to come to that conclusion and admit it is not insignificant. Staley is off base and by entering the discussion has indicated her lack of professional integrity.

She's a piece of garbage. 80% of this country is so over this everything is racist shit, but these people just can't help themselves.
What I'd like to see is this -
Call out real racism when it happens, and show the racists for the shitty humans they are.
Do the same to race baiting/everything is racist whistleblowers when they're clearly wrong.

It was a NC game and 37 (record) fouls called. The point is the network was inundated with calls from a pissed off public during the game due the stoppage. This is an issue in TV land and the NCAA has to be concerned of inept officiating when 10,000,000 people are watching a sport, many for the 1st time.

Marketing is everything and for 3 referring officials to determine the flow of a game of at this level, especially since you can't disregard the impact a generational player like Caitlin Clark brings to the table the public tuned in to see action and excitement.

The officiating crew in that NC game that crew was inept and incompetent. For the NCAA to come to that conclusion and admit it is not insignificant. Staley is off base and by entering the discussion has indicated her lack of professional integrity.
I agree completely with this and gets to the heart of what I was saying. The NCAA has a problem. The window of opportunity is open and if people watch and all they can see is how much of a joke the officiating is as soon as Clark graduates the window will slam shut, or worse, people will stop watching before they have a chance to get really hooked on it and see how good some of the basketball can be. Acknowledging the problem is a big first step. People will be willing to give them time to get better if the NCAA can show that they are doing things to improve it. But they need to be concerned about the long term visibility of the sport. People are less likely to hang around if the officiating is too unpredictable.

Or, more to the point, people won't gamble on games when it is too likely some dipshit ref throws the game in the wrong direction with a terrible call. And let's face it, how the gamblers like the sport is probably the single most important factor to the long term popularity of the sport. Caitlyn Clark won't be around forever.

Bingo

Officiating in the men’s game is frustrating.

Officiating in the women’s game is brutal and a joke.

This was a golden opportunity to promote the women’s game. The entire tournament saw unprecedented viewership. The Final Four smashed ratings records. People who seldom if ever watch women’s hoops tuned in and witnessed some of the most baffling officiating in the history of organized sports. That’s why they conducted a review. It’s got nothing to do with race.

This was a golden opportunity to promote the women’s game. The entire tournament saw unprecedented viewership. The Final Four smashed ratings records. People who seldom if ever watch women’s hoops tuned in and witnessed some of the most baffling officiating in the history of organized sports. That’s why they conducted a review. It’s got nothing to do with race.
It's also a good opportunity to put equality on display and Staley complete missed out. She should have said, ""well, I'm glad they looked at the results and came to the conclusion they should have based on the facts. Glad it didn't matter that they were black or that they were women. They deserve the same scrutiny that white men would receive." Imagine if she did that.

I guess Staley was okay with Mulkey walking 15 feet on the court without getting a Technical multiple times? She would be okay if that happened against her and her team?

Nothing to review or criticize there Dawn?

According to her this review shouldn’t have even happened because the subjects happened to be black/brown? What a joke.

People like Dawn Staley make America a worse place to live. She should be held accountable and reprimanded by the University but they are too chicken shit because this dumb broad would just screech racism if that happened.

Sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.

It's also a good opportunity to put equality on display and Staley complete missed out. She should have said, ""well, I'm glad they looked at the results and came to the conclusion they should have based on the facts. Glad it didn't matter that they were black or that they were women. They deserve the same scrutiny that white men would receive." Imagine if she did that.
Staley seeks out opportunities to accuse people of racism. Lisa Bluder likened rebounding against South Carolina to being in a bar fight. A fairly benign and common analogy in sports and also fairly accurate. Staley’s team was big and extremely physical.

Staley decided that was a racist comment and fired back by declaring “we’re not monkeys!”.

What the fvck, Dawn? No one called you monkeys. I have no idea how she leaped from “bar fight” to “monkeys.”

Last edited:
Staley seeks out opportunities to accuse people of racism. Lisa Bluder likened rebounding against South Carolina to being in a bar fight. A fairly benign and common analogy in sports and also fairly accurate. Staley’s team was big and extemely physical.

Staley decided that was a racist comment and fired back by declaring “we’re not monkeys!”.

What the fvck, Dawn? No one called you monkeys. I have no idea how she leaped from “bar fight” to “monkeys.”
I remember that. WTF.

Staley seeks out opportunities to accuse people of racism. Lisa Bluder likened rebounding against South Carolina to being in a bar fight. A fairly benign and common analogy in sports and also fairly accurate. Staley’s team was big and extemely physical.

Quite a stretch. And just about every bar fight I have ever seen involved only crackers. I don’t recall if Bluder acknowledged the comment or gave an unnecessary apology; but I hope she didn’t.

Reactions: amahawk
Quite a stretch. And just about every bar fight I have ever seen involved only crackers.
Exactly. The “bar fight”/“street fight” analogy has been used countless times by countless people to describe countless teams in multiple sports at the college and professional level. And never once has it carried a racial connotation. It simply means that a team is extremely physical and aggressive, which Staley’s team was.

And for her to embellish the quote with her horseshit comment about “we’re not monkeys” was completely inexcusable. She should have been reprimanded by the NCAA for that.

I normally laugh off reverse racism claims and I'm not wound up about this but I do honestly think she's mad her epic season was ruined by white girls.

People of all color can be scummy about race.
This. Beating her team made the disappointment of the championship game all the more bearable.

I don’t know what the second tweet means. Staley knew what she meant like she knew it wasn’t racist and Staley is being an idiot? Or she knew what she meant, like, she meant is as a racist comment?
The tweet was supporting Staley. I was surprised by the support for her statement.

The barfight comment really triggered Staley. I am not sure why she brought monkeys into her response as I have not seen monkeys at a bar fight or in a bar. The only intent, in my mind, was the make Bluder look worse and shine a more racist spotlight on Bluder. The below article, from a S Carolina perspective, wraps up Bluder's feedback. I am glad she did not apologize.

Staley specifically cited a comment made Tuesday by Iowa coach Lisa Bluder that described rebounding against the Gamecocks as "going to a bar fight." Bluder said Saturday that she had not seen Staley's postgame comments and brushed off the South Carolina coach's offense at the characterization of her team's physicality.

"If you know me, I speak tongue in cheek a lot, and I was saying an analogy of you've got to rebound like you're in a bar fight," Bluder said. "That's all. It doesn't say who's fighting, right? But that's fine. I've never been in a bar fight, by the way."

Bluder's response did not address the heart of Staley's complaints about the narratives surrounding South Carolina's style of play. Staley said after the Gamecocks' loss that she felt public descriptions of her team as "bar fighters" and "thugs" have an impact on the way officials call fouls against the team.

"We're not bar fighters. We're not thugs. We're not monkeys. We're not street fighters," Staley said. "This team exemplifies how you need to approach basketball on the court and off the court. And I do think that that's sometimes brought into the game, and it hurts."

"Every time we get ready to play a really, really big game, there's always things in the media. I think this time, it was a bar fight," Boston said. "That's how we were described. That's the type of physicality we're described that we will bring to the table, not the other opponent. I think when you look at it, it's like we're always the aggressor, and I don't feel like that's actually the case."

Bluder did not apologize for the comment but did clarify that she meant it in a positive way.

"There was absolutely no ill intent. I know coaches will take things and spin it to try to motivate their team. I've done that, I'm sure. So be it with that," Bluder said. "I really meant it as a compliment, like you are going to have to fight harder than you've ever fought in your life to get a defensive rebound against this team because they are so good."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT