ADVERTISEMENT

Deacon Hill enters the portal

Sarah Lynn Yes GIF by uccmaths

Hopefully someone convinced him he isn't a Division 1 QB. Also, hopefully this means there is a portal QB coming in.

I try to keep it in perspective that he was brought in to be a backup. To throw balls to the 2s. I don't think Brian or Kirk ever thought there was a world he would start. Or their opinion was if Cade goes down we're ****ed either way.

Somehow he the defense clawed Iowa to 10 wins. Could have been much worse IMO.
Not disagreeing with what you are saying but if that is truly what the coaches thought, well then they aren’t very bright.
Cade had some injury issues when he came to Iowa. What would make the coaches think he would stay healthy.
If they brought hill in to work with the 2’s why did he receive every regular season snap after Cade went down. If he was only brought in to work with the 2’s and sucked as a starter, why wouldn’t you see what you could potentially have in a younger guy that couldn’t do much worse.

I cannot imagine there is another D1 school that he has a better shot at starting than Iowa. Odd timing if that is his motivation, especially with a new offense coming in. Although I don’t have a lot of confidence it will be much better
This is purely speculation because I have zero inside information, but the timing might have as much to do with yesterday’s announcement by the NCAA that players in good academic standing will have immediate eligibility at their new school no matter how many times they transfer. This is Hill’s second transfer.

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
Another possibility is that after spring camp they let him know that Marco will be jumping him on the depth chart which then led to him leaving.

That's kind of where I'm at upon reading this.

With Cade's health, #2 is pretty damn important to this roster. We also have (Resar?) coming in, and Marco as we've seen is pretty mobile.

Something tells me Lester more or less has told Kirk "hey, we CANNOT have a statue at QB with this offense". And IMHO, if say for example we're talking Marco vs Hill as your starter (don't laugh, Cade has proven to be injury prone) - if I have an inaccurate immobile QB or an inaccurate but mobile QB as my choices - I'm choosing the mobile one.

Time for Lester to coach 'em up - and if a portal QB with a heartbeat can be had, coach him up too.

This has to be a surprise to the coaching staff, right? Because he was getting a lot of reps with the first-team this spring and that's insane if they knew he was going to leave.

The speculation on Twitter is that the staff wanted to use Deacon to "install" the offense with the 1's, but Marco actually got more reps running with the 2's and 3's.

Best of luck to Deacon, but this can’t be anything but a good thing.
Cade is going to get hurt again. We all know it. Putting Deacon Hill in the game is saying to a defense that we’d like to punt on first down, but we can’t because we know we would get torn to shreds by the media if we did.

Odd timing if that is his motivation, especially with a new offense coming in.
Not odd IMO. He was given a chance to show improvement in the spring and didn't. Lester or KF told him he'd be better off going somewhere else because they were gonna hit the portal.

I get the competitive side of these guys and wanting to find a place to play but man at some point you'd think you'd just suck it up with the free education and get a degree. Not sure he picks up a scholarship after this. Every year anymore thousands of kids transfer and hundreds of them end up left out to dry and paying their own way.
This is my take as well. I can’t imagine him getting any playing time at any other D1 school… At this point just take the free education which is guaranteed at Iowa.

I forget the percentage, but I saw a stat last year about how many athletes who went into the portal received a scholarship from another team. It was shockingly low.

Reactions: beanerhawk
I liked him, big guy fun to watch. slow and lumbering.much like myself. ha ha i thought he made a little progress for the spring practice. My guess is he's going to be beat out and sees writing on the wall.

I liked him, big guy fun to watch. slow and lumbering.much like myself. ha ha i thought he made a little progress for the spring practice. My guess is he's going to be beat out and sees writing on the wall.
Same. We just had him at QB and not Fullback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT