ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Caitlin Clark..

I just was going to post a link to that article. Well written. I have no idea how much of an impact she will have as a pro. The experts say she will do fine. But as an Iowan, an athlete, and a role model for kids, she’s had a huge impact during her four years as a Hawkeye. She is absolutely on the Mount Rushmore of Hawkeyes.

I would go with Hayden, Tim Dwight, Ronnie Lester, and Caitlin.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I just was going to post a link to that article. Well written. I have no idea how much of an impact she will have as a pro. The experts say she will do fine. But as an Iowan, an athlete, and a role model for kids, she’s had a huge impact during her four years as a Hawkeye. She is absolutely on the Mount Rushmore of Hawkeyes.

I was asking my second grade niece today if she knew who Caitlin Clark was, and she looked at me like "doesn't everyone?", and she smiled and said "Yes". I asked if she liked her and she said "Yes". I asked if her friends like her, she said "Yes". I said "do you talk about her?", she said "Yes", and she said "They all want to play basketball". She has most definitely made an impact on young girls.

Great choices, but my Mt. Rushmore of Hawkeyes would be Nile Kinnick, Ronnie Lester, Hayden Fry, Caitlin Clark.

Wanted to get Chuck Long in there somehow as well…

Has an impact because she's exciting.

Great choices, but my Mt. Rushmore of Hawkeyes would be Nile Kinnick, Ronnie Lester, Hayden Fry, Caitlin Clark.

I find myself wanting to insert Spencer Lee as well, and of course Dan Gable.

Lol, so no Gable on your Iowa Mount Rushmore?

Not to derail this thread but the Hawkeye Mt Rushmore right now?

Gable
Kinnick
Clark
Lester

Not to derail this thread but the Hawkeye Mt Rushmore right now?

Gable
Kinnick
Clark
Lester

Uh....Dan Gable wrestled at ISU

If we're talking Iowa athletes, it'd be more like Clark, Lester, Kinnick, Long or something.

Iowa coaches would certainly include Gable and Fry; but not athletes.

Uh....Dan Gable wrestled at ISU

If we're talking Iowa athletes, it'd be more like Clark, Lester, Kinnick, Long or something.

Iowa coaches would certainly include Gable and Fry; but not athletes.
Uh.... I know that. Hayden Fry played football at Baylor, that doesn't make him any less of a Hawkeye.

Mine might be Kinnick, Slater, Caitlin and fight for #4.....Gable, Fry, Lester, how about Garza, Brands....maybe UIowa should have a “glee club” as opposed to a Rushmore?

I was trying to separate out by impact on their sport and Dwight made it because he’s my all time favorite Hawkeye. Hayden made it because he made Iowa football relevant. Lester because of the final four. If I was doing it for real I suppose gable over Dwight but it’s not really fair because coaches have so much of a longer effect.

Tim Dwight is definitely the most underrated player that would be on it. He had that effect of just giving you goosebumps watching him play.

Edit to add, Kinnick probably has to be on there but I was thinking of players I have seen play.

Mine might be Kinnick, Slater, Caitlin and fight for #4.....Gable, Fry, Lester, how about Garza, Brands....maybe UIowa should have a “glee club” as opposed to a Rushmore?
This would be mine. Kinnick, Slater, Caitlin, Gable. If it's players only, I will switch Gable with Dwight or Tom Brands.

I wish I could pick Spencer. That still hurts 😢

Edit to add, Kinnick probably has to be on there but I was thinking of players I have seen play.
You’ve never seen “Kinnick Stadium”? ;)

There’s a reason...and it was no spur of the moment emotional decision to name it after him, either.
I never saw Duke Slater play either, but I have read about him and the University has recognized him in various ways, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT