ADVERTISEMENT

Decision to kick FG with 5 min left sums it up = garbage coaching

Badgers fan here. I was surprised Iowa didn't go for it.
Also I thought Iowa should kick a FG after King's return right away to conserve time.

I actually liked the decision to kick the FG. You make it and it was a kick you should make then it's 14-9 game. You get a defensive stop then all you need is 6 to win because it'd be a 15-14 game. Without the FG you still need a TD and 2 point conversion. Even if it plays out and Wisky gets a FG it's still 17-9 and you need a TD and 2 pts to tie.

I was more ticked when Ferentz didn't challenge spot early in game and punted ball on fourth down. Totally agree go for t.d or first down but we have seen this play out all to often lol

Yep - this was the unforgivable mistake. With the way we were moving the ball (or not moving) that was the time to aggressive.

I also wasn't sure on the fieldgoal. Wanted to go for it but if he makes it we're playing for the win on that last drive.

Reactions: mischkalaw
Screenshot_2016_10_15_13_55_05_1.png

Hell with 2 minutes left in the first half and Wisky down at our 3 instead of doing the smart thing and taking timeouts and saving time KF of course lets the clock tick.

Maybe with another minute of time we don't have to settle for the FG. Worst clock manager I have ever seen.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Yep - this was the unforgivable mistake. With the way we were moving the ball (or not moving) that was the time to aggressive.

I also wasn't sure on the fieldgoal. Wanted to go for it but if he makes it we're playing for the win on that last drive.
you guys realize, coaches can't review plays right?

I was more ticked when Ferentz didn't challenge spot early in game and punted ball on fourth down. Totally agree go for t.d or first down but we have seen this play out all to often lol

Exactly. When was the last time KF used a challenge. What is the probability of needing the challenge if you lose it? ....... and then punt. Gutless Ferentz

I actually liked the decision to kick the FG. You make it and it was a kick you should make then it's 14-9 game. You get a defensive stop then all you need is 6 to win because it'd be a 15-14 game. Without the FG you still need a TD and 2 point conversion. Even if it plays out and Wisky gets a FG it's still 17-9 and you need a TD and 2 pts to tie.

Yep. It was the right call. The wrong call was when we punted on 4th and 1 from their 45 in 1st half. Field goal, or God forbid... a touchdown, on that drive makes it a different game

"All FBS (Division 1) teams have replay officials who are upstairs in a replay booth headed by a single head replay official. Coaches cannot challenge calls. All replays are initiated by the booth via a buzzer that the referee on the field has. Aug 4, 2015"

So, let me get this straight...

We really never sustain much of anything offensively all day, and after the most promising drive all day we decide to kick.

Going for it and knowing this was our best shot at a TD at this stage of the game should've been a no-brainer decision. Ferentz sure is a piece of work.
Maybe he is bad at math.

Unless the rules have changed in 2016, which i can't find anything showing they have. This is from the 2015 rule book:

b� The head coach of either team may request that the game be stopped and a play be reviewed by challenging the on-field ruling�

1. 1� A head coach initiates this challenge by taking a team timeout before the ball is next legally put in play (Exception: Rule 12-3-5-c) and informing the referee that he is challenging the ruling of the previous play� If a head coach’s challenge is successful, he retains the challenge, which he may use only once more during the game� Thus, a coach may have a total of two challenges if and only if his initial challenge is successful�

2. 2� After a review has been completed, if the on-field ruling is reversed, that team’s timeout will not be charged�

3. 3� After a review has been completed, and the on-field ruling is not reversed, the charged team timeout counts as one of the three permitted that team for that half or the one permitted in that extra period�

4. 4� A head coach may not challenge a ruling in which the game was stopped and a decision has already been made by the replay official�

5. 5� If a head coach requests a team timeout to challenge an on-field ruling and the play being challenged is not reviewable, the timeout shall count as one of the three permitted his team during that half of the game or the one permitted in that extra period�

6. 6� A head coach may not challenge an on-field ruling if all the team’s timeouts have been used for that half or in that extra period�
When To Stop a Game

ARTICLE 2� a� A game may be stopped, either by the replay official or by a head coach’s challenge, at any time before the ball is next legally put in play (Exception: Rule 12-3-5-d)�

b� No game official may request that a game be stopped for a play to be reviewed�

SECTION 6. Reviewing an On-field Ruling Procedures

ARTICLE 1� a� When a game is to be stopped either by the replay official or by a head coach’s challenge, the designated officials on the field will be notified by a buzzer system or other appropriate means�

1. b� If the review is initiated by the replay official, the referee shall announce:

“The ruling on the previous play is ��� (brief description of ruling)� The play is under further review�”

If the game has been stopped due to a head coach’s challenge, the referee shall announce:

“The (name of institution) head coach has challenged the ruling of (state the ruling)� The play is under further review�”

2. c� All reviews shall be based upon video evidence provided by and coming directly from the televised production of the game or from other video means available to the replay official�

3. d� After the referee has conferred with the replay official and the review process has been completed, he shall make

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
This is another example of KF being too conservative. It's his entire philosophy and he only seems willing to stray from it when he's looking for another contract extension.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT