ADVERTISEMENT

Deere announces more Iowa layoffs as sales slow amid gloomy farm income forecast.

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
This sad economy brought forth by the Biden Presidency now results in further job losses.

The John Deere plant in Waterloo is laying off 192 workers effective June 22.

The company posted the notice on Iowa's Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification, or WARN, website.

The latest announcement follows layoffs of 308 in Waterloo announced in late March as well as layoffs of 150 workers from Deere's Ankeny facility the same month.

Net sales for Deere’s production and precision agriculture segment dropped 16% to $6.6 billion during the second quarter of 2024, compared to $7.8 billion during the same period last year, primarily due to lower shipment volumes. Large agriculture equipment sales in the U.S. and Canada are expected to be down 15% for the year.

Farm income is expected to slide 25.5% to $116.1 billion this year from 2023, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, set for a second consecutive annual drop, as corn and soybean prices plummet and production costs increase.

Higher interest rates also have piled pressure on farmers, prompting some equipment dealers to offer discounts or auction off machines at lower prices to manage bloated inventories, forcing Deere and peers to cut production.

“While ag prices have increased a bit recently, most crop prices remain much lower than 2023, suggesting that revenues will continue to be stressed in the year ahead. Interest rates will also likely remain higher into 2025 as ag credit conditions could be limited for some time,” Nationwide Senior Economist Ben Ayers wrote.

Another 4 years under Joe Biden and Deere will undoubtedly move all manufacturing to Mexico.

OP's ignorance on full display.

John Deere has had periodic layoffs for decades.
MitchLL's ignorance or lack of reading comprehension is on full display.

Net sales for Deere’s production and precision agriculture segment dropped 16% to $6.6 billion during the second quarter of 2024, compared to $7.8 billion during the same period last year, primarily due to lower shipment volumes. Large agriculture equipment sales in the U.S. and Canada are expected to be down 15% for the year.

Farm income is expected to slide 25.5% to $116.1 billion this year from 2023, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, set for a second consecutive annual drop, as corn and soybean prices plummet and production costs increase.

Higher interest rates also have piled pressure on farmers

It was bound to decline from the prior year, which was the best year in the history of the company. Was Biden’s economy working in 2023 but not 2024?
the farmers spent money for 2023 following profits in 2022 to avoid taxes on 36 row planter and tractor set ups. they are set for now especially since the ave age is 62 plus. Older than 65 which many are spending money on equipment will create tax issues. Thus the slow market.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
the farmers spent money for 2023 following profits in 2022 to avoid taxes on 36 row planter and tractor set ups. they are set for now especially since the ave age is 62 plus. Older than 65 which many are spending money on equipment will create tax issues. Thus the slow market.
What did someone who owns a 36 row planter do to you? Almost every farming thread that shows up on this site you bitch specifically about one piece of equipment.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
What did someone who owns a 36 row planter do to you? Almost every farming thread that shows up on this site you bitch specifically about one piece of equipment.
Nothing. It's just that they popped up quickly and for most farms is oversized. They spent the covid, mfp and ppp money to avoid taxes. Around here almost everyone owns one.

Kind of a strange comment. The thread included that JD is coming off a terrific run and the market collapsed. The farmers went out and bought equipment. I did leave off vertical tillage tool.

In the end, most farmers as I mentioned are now way overbought. They won't buy more until retirement.

I manage farms and all my farmers have one. Certainly not bitching. it was shocking how the market changed to so good to so bad. And now you have the explanation.

R U OK?

I have to admit it's fun riding along and going deep into the different levels of the monitoring system.

The tractor/planter set up new is a million dollars.

I also know that historically, farmers have gotten themselves into trouble by spending to avoid taxes. Myself, I would be focused on doing like the Omaha rich guy and start conserving cash until the markets straighten out. Farmer do bitch about cash rents being to high while they buy these things and pay +20k for farmland for cash. Overwhelmingly it is farmers that buy the land for sale.

Farmer resistance really gets sharp at $350 per acre right now for cash rent. On 20k ground and using a historically low 2.5 percent return, that's $500 per acre. Most land is not owned by farmers but buy families of former farmers.

I am concerned that one of 2 things will happen.

We will have a major dip for ag (we really do have a lot of farmers for the tech and cost) or DC will pay huge subsidies to win the Iowa/Wisconsin/Missouri farm vote.

I'm not keen on either scenario.

Last edited:
Nothing. It's just that they popped up quickly and for most farms is oversized. They spent the covid, mfp and ppp money to avoid taxes. Around here almost everyone owns one.

Kind of a strange comment. The thread included that JD is coming off a terrific run and the market collapsed. The farmers went out and bought equipment. I did leave off vertical tillage tool.

In the end, most farmers as I mentioned are now way overbought. They won't buy more until retirement.

I manage farms and all my farmers have one. Certainly not bitching. it was shocking how the market changed to so good to so bad. And now you have the explanation.

R U OK?

I have to admit it's fun riding along and going deep into the different levels of the monitoring system.

I also know that historically, farmers have gotten themselves into trouble by spending to avoid taxes. Myself, I would be focused on doing like the Omaha rich guy and start conserving cash until the markets straighten out. Farmer do bitch about cash rents being to high while they buy these things and pay +20k for farmland for cash. Overwhelmingly it is farmers that buy the land for sale.

Farmer resistance really gets sharp at $350 per acre right now for cash rent. On 20k ground and using a historically low 2.5 percent return, that's $500 per acre. Most land is not owned by farmers but buy families of former farmers.

We will have a major dip for ag (we really do have a lot of farmers for the tech and cost) or DC will pay huge subsidies to win the Iowa/Wisconsin/Missouri farm vote.

I've written a check for a 36 row planter. Good managers separate themselves in down times and the others try and play catchup in the good times. There were plenty of opportunities to lock in profits even into next season. With this springs planting conditions everywhere the yield dip may prolong that depending on carryout numbers.

Access to capital will be an issue for some after this fall. Not for those who have planned excess capacity specifically for when the older farmers retire during a dip because it's not fun for them to still be working for less. Many farmers never work in other industries to truly understand business decision making isn't by using a bucket list or the Jones' to achieve success. You aren't wrong many invest in the large shiny object when optimizing all the little inefficiencies of a cash flow would be a much better habit.

I've written a check for a 36 row planter. Good managers separate themselves in down times and the others try and play catchup in the good times. There were plenty of opportunities to lock in profits even into next season. With this springs planting conditions everywhere the yield dip may prolong that depending on carryout numbers.

Access to capital will be an issue for some after this fall. Not for those who have planned excess capacity specifically for when the older farmers retire during a dip because it's not fun for them to still be working for less. Many farmers never work in other industries to truly understand business decision making isn't by using a bucket list or the Jones' to achieve success. You aren't wrong many invest in the large shiny object when optimizing all the little inefficiencies of a cash flow would be a much better habit.
Figured you were farming and no offense meant.
Had an interview today on TV about dust storms. Yesterday there were major dust storms in advance of the storm system. Curious your take.

Figured you were farming and no offense meant.
Had an interview today on TV about dust storms. Yesterday there were major dust storms in advance of the storm system. Curious your take.
Just a seasonal thing after hard rains leaving lots of fine particles on top and crops not tall enough or up to provide cover during a wind shear event. Happens from time to time but not a ton one can do when conditions align.

Every farmer I've known (including my dad) bitched about how poor they were, just before showing you the upgraded creature features of their new F-150.

MitchLL's ignorance or lack of reading comprehension is on full display.

Tell me you don't understand ag cycles and your post will make sense.

Biden's fault corn and soybean prices are down this year???

Stick to topics where you have an iota of sensible thoughts

Please?
I can tolerate a certain level of ignorance...to a point.
Plain stupidity...not as much.

Tell me you don't understand ag cycles and your post will make sense.

Biden's fault corn and soybean prices are down this year???

Stick to topics where you have an iota of sensible thoughts

Please?
I can tolerate a certain level of ignorance...to a point.
Plain stupidity...not as much
Once again reading comprehension is not your friend.

Every farmer I've known (including my dad) bitched about how poor they were, just before showing you the upgraded creature features of their new F-150.
I grew up where the guys with an old pickup and old clothes were always the ones buying more land. One learns real quick the kid buying a new truck to be a farmer ended up at the coop working.

Profit margins have put pressure on farmers. If your income went down by 25.5% like the article you quoted said are you going to be putting future payments on the books?

Let the salesman stop by and say it's no longer 18 months from putting an order in til delivery with some incentives now available for a change then I'll tell them what I will trade for. Their turn to take it or leave it.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954

Since you are such an investment savant, you may be able to understand what I'm about to say, but in case you don't, I'll try and "dumb it down" for you.

As a publicly traded company, Deere has a stockholder obligation...increase profits and share price. Many times layoffs spur share price. DE has struggled YTD. It could be as simple as that.

Company history says these employees will be back. It might be 3/6/9 months, but they'll be called back.

A year from now as Biden is in his 5th year in the WH...you can apologize.

Moran.

Since you are such an investment savant, you may be able to understand what I'm about to say, but in case you don't, I'll try and "dumb it down" for you.

As a publicly traded company, Deere has a stockholder obligation...increase profits and share price. Many times layoffs spur share price. DE has struggled YTD. It could be as simple as that.

Company history says these employees will be back. It might be 3/6/9 months, but they'll be called back.

Moran.
Erin?

Profit margins have put pressure on farmers. If your income went down by 25.5% like the article you quoted said are you going to be putting future payments on the books?

Let the salesman stop by and say it's no longer 18 months from putting an order in til delivery with some incentives now available for a change then I'll tell them what I will trade for. Their turn to take it or leave it.
A starting point of 250k makes a 25% reduction more easy to swallow.

Moran.
No, JD will continue to move to lower pay areas. It will be a while before farmers as a group retool. The biggest issue in that is farmer age and a 70 has to ask themselves if they will have retirement tax issues concerning depreciation schedules.

Just a seasonal thing after hard rains leaving lots of fine particles on top and crops not tall enough or up to provide cover during a wind shear event. Happens from time to time but not a ton one can do when conditions align.
How many field passes do you make before planting?

A starting point of 250k makes a 25% reduction more easy to swallow.
Nah there are too many variables at play to sit back and target income. Everything has a window on how long it will last or remain useful. Equipment prices have at least doubled in 10 years after doubling in the 10 years before that. One can save themselves a lot of money understanding when, how, or why to trade.

Most operations never do themselves a favor. Trade a 24 row for a 24 row when a 36 is 10% more for instance. When it's 30k to rebuild something but 130k to trade they trade etc. Capacity is the absolute easiest thing to add if one's patient, but the most expensive mistake if it's forced or not objective. Abide by the details that make money and allow oneself some grace to option out making jobs easier and more quality. If you've got multiple 15 to 20 hour seasonal days on the horizon be smart not stubborn or something (likely oneself) gives.

Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
How many field passes do you make before planting?
One in the fall post harvest and one prior to planting. Both are necessary for residue management and compaction alleviation. No one has proven no till to work in our soil types. Not much local success in cover crops either.

One in the fall post harvest and one prior to planting. Both are necessary for residue management and compaction alleviation. No one has proven no till to work in our soil types. Not much local success in cover crops either.
Corn stubble I can understand. Soybean stubble not so much. To me (in flatland), going to HS planters and the seedbed needed has helped to create the dust storms.

How is/did planting go?

With all the moving parts in a combine, how long does one last before the maintenance justifies buying/trading for a new one ?

Do a lot now lease tractors?

I have landowners that ask me about cover crops and organic production. My response is always...if the farmer doesn't think it will work, he is right. Because if they aren't sold on it... won't really work.

I do think Iowa will be a battleground over other surrounding states like Illlinois on commercial farming practices. Some of that is how Iowa depends on surface water for a water supply.

With all the moving parts in a combine, how long does one last before the maintenance justifies buying/trading for a new one ?

In my circles, leasing has really decreased due to a decrease in tax benefits, lack of ability to build assets. Profits have been strong, so short term leasing benefits aren't really thought about. Some strictly cash rent operators lease and those with specialty equipment.

We also have a huge problem with aging farmers. Machinery can be one way for a young family member to begin to build equity and skin in the game.

Say you have 4 kids as a farmer and one wants to farm. Child 1 likely can't swing taking over the farm by himself/herself if things are divided equally. if breaks are given to the child getting in, then paying that child for the machinery use can make sense. Flat out breaks though needed are basically setting up a child at 60 to be way ahead financially at 60 yo.

Families should be paying a 1 percent equity stake per year for the family member helping on the farm. It's complicated, but leasing doesn't really help the future transition. Most farmers are 65 plus and some still waiting for dad to retire/die. You can't take on all that as a 65 yo.

R U OK?

So it’s really the families who have owned and been acquiring tracts of farmland since Christ was a corporal that you have something against?

I have landowners that ask me about cover crops and organic production. My response is always...if the farmer doesn't think it will work, he is right. Because if they aren't sold on it... won't really work.

I do think Iowa will be a battleground over other surrounding states like Illlinois on commercial farming practices. Some of that is how Iowa depends on surface water for a water supply.
I'm in a pocket of wet heavy soils that are extremely productive. I've tried no till. The organic matter after a number of years matted and insulated the ground from drying out or warming above 50 to plat. Simply killed necessary planting windows. Sizing and mixing residue is necessary in my area.

I'm hesitat to rent anything from someone who wants to be too hands on. My professional opinion is these practices are best, but this one is best case. If the land owner or manager wants something outside of that then custom farm it as an experiment farm with someone else. What works in one area doesn't make it best practice in another.

Planting this year had one short window that was optimal. I don't expect a lot of fall because of it.

Two exact same combines owned by neighbors with different philosophies on maintenance or how they are as an operator could have dramatically different lifespans.

Leasing is good if you want to trade every so many years and use hours (like miles on a vehicle) similar to how a standard lease is offered. Also if you want to buy the lease out after the initial period so you can have payments spead over 10 years. Other than those situations not so much.
Bankers hate payments and CPAs hate everything paid off with no deduction. Advice is going to be conflicting and all over the board so it really best fit not best practice.

IMHO there are only a couple of guys in this thread who know what they are talking about - the rest should remain silent and learn something.

Reactions: scruffyhawk
I'm in a pocket of wet heavy soils that are extremely productive. I've tried no till. The organic matter after a number of years matted and insulated the ground from drying out or warming above 50 to plat. Simply killed necessary planting windows. Sizing and mixing residue is necessary in my area.

I'm hesitat to rent anything from someone who wants to be too hands on. My professional opinion is these practices are best, but this one is best case. If the land owner or manager wants something outside of that then custom farm it as an experiment farm with someone else. What works in one area doesn't make it best practice in another.

Planting this year had one short window that was optimal. I don't expect a lot of fall because of it.
You raise a good point. My life becomes a lot easier if I have a farmer that cooperates and can explain things well. You do the latter. My farmers are most always glad to see me. At issue is there are plenty of farmers to choose from. Erosion is a big issue for me. You can limit erosion with modified conventional if you work at it. My fav farmer does modified strip till and does occasionally till all over to break up stratification on the soil type you describe. We've raised a high class B farm to figuring on 260 on corn each year and we are gaining on beans (due in part to below threshhold on cyst). We both discuss plans. Preventing compaction is a huge part of boosting yields. And (jokingly) my fav 2 farmers both have 36 row planters. One is 40. The other is 70.

I basically turn them loose once parameters are set. A farmer can really screw up a farm. I will part ways with a landowner that wants a certain farmer that doesn't want to communicate and work things out. The worst was a landowner who argued and argued to keep a farmer who was subsequently arrested on federal bank fraud charges and now in Fed Penn. He could sure grow corn though.
I ru
I'm stringent on records. What inputs are used. Dates. Crop Ins records/yield monitor maps and scale tickets. Very heavy use of flex cash. I run P and K levels higher than typical U recs but not excessive. 65 - 75 P and 375/425 on K, pH no lower than 6.2 or lime is applied. Most labs used M3 on P and if you use U recs you will be disapointed. Midwest and KSI still use Bray tests. Anyway I do enjoy listening to farmers. The good ones can teach managers a lot. To be honest I personally can only think of 2 managers I would ever use. Who I pick for farmers is selective as well. ....communicate.

You raise a good point. My life becomes a lot easier if I have a farmer that cooperates and can explain things well. You do the latter. My farmers are most always glad to see me. At issue is there are plenty of farmers to choose from. Erosion is a big issue for me. You can limit erosion with modified conventional if you work at it. My fav farmer does modified strip till and does occasionally till all over to break up stratification on the soil type you describe. We've raised a high class B farm to figuring on 260 on corn each year and we are gaining on beans (due in part to below threshhold on cyst). We both discuss plans. Preventing compaction is a huge part of boosting yields. And (jokingly) my fav 2 farmers both have 36 row planters. One is 40. The other is 70.

I basically turn them loose once parameters are set. A farmer can really screw up a farm. I will part ways with a landowner that wants a certain farmer that doesn't want to communicate and work things out. The worst was a landowner who argued and argued to keep a farmer who was subsequently arrested on federal bank fraud charges and now in Fed Penn. He could sure grow corn though.
I ru
I'm stringent on records. What inputs are used. Dates. Crop Ins records/yield monitor maps and scale tickets. Very heavy use of flex cash. I run P and K levels higher than typical U recs but not excessive. 65 - 75 P and 375/425 on K, pH no lower than 6.2 or lime is applied. Most labs used M3 on P and if you use U recs you will be disapointed. Midwest and KSI still use Bray tests. Anyway I do enjoy listening to farmers. The good ones can teach managers a lot. To be honest I personally can only think of 2 managers I would ever use. Who I pick for farmers is selective as well. ....communicate.
Strip till has merit but adds significant work when grid sampling and prescription application if incorporation is an option works just as well. I just flat out wouldn't have anyone I trust to be meticulous enough when no one is watching that wasn’t me running it and my pattern is full. Old guys giggle to run big newer equipment but don't follow directions or are hard on things because their 5 year old personality running others stuff considers work playtime.

I won't go too deep into fertility targets other than to say I do the exact same on a rental piece as something I've owned since I started. Erosion other than a couple previously poorly managed areas not easily fixed after heavy rains isn't an issue on anything I cover.

Communication is a double edged sword. It can give those who shouldn't be making decisions the false premise they now can freelance because they presume all relevant information was shared. No it wasn't, and now there is an issue because they second guessed a procedure they were capable of that set the table for something more critical by someone more capable than them who's task just became infinitely more difficult due to freelancing. People's pride often doesn't mix with pride in a job well done as part of a system.

Strip till has merit but adds significant work when grid sampling and prescription application if incorporation is an option works just as well. I just flat out wouldn't have anyone I trust to be meticulous enough when no one is watching that wasn’t me running it and my pattern is full. Old guys giggle to run big newer equipment but don't follow directions or are hard on things because their 5 year old personality running others stuff considers work playtime.

I won't go too deep into fertility targets other than to say I do the exact same on a rental piece as something I've owned since I started. Erosion other than a couple previously poorly managed areas not easily fixed after heavy rains isn't an issue on anything I cover.

Communication is a double edged sword. It can give those who shouldn't be making decisions the false premise they now can freelance because they presume all relevant information was shared. No it wasn't, and now there is an issue because they second guessed a procedure they were capable of that set the table for something more critical by someone more capable than them who's task just became infinitely more difficult due to freelancing. People's pride often doesn't mix with pride in a job well done as part of a system.
Good farm managers ...ones really paying attention know when smoke is blown. The guy I talked about took 2 banks, a bunch of landowner and several farm managers. I called a few managers I knew if they had any concerns. Not a one did. I was the only one and exercised the landowners lien. The farmer went nuts. Not a long time later full bankruptcy and then federal charges. My owner....got paid.

The farmers I find that "cheat" on fertility aren't usually the big operators which high cash rent. It's usually the guy who has been on the land a long time and does the same thing he did decades ago which likely wasn't enough then. A number of managers make me cringe. They do drive by inspections and it means what is sounds like. Landowners that don't know how to read reports are really at a disadvantage. I teach owners (even my own) how to manage on their own. I teach them how to manage their manager basically.

Will never forget when Joel Hertz showed up without notice on a farm my dad leased. As a little kid I didn't understand, but now I find it quite hilarious. My dad wasn't a great farmer. I got him to change a lot of things and so did Joel.

Good farm managers ...ones really paying attention know when smoke is blown. The guy I talked about took 2 banks, a bunch of landowner and several farm managers. I called a few managers I knew if they had any concerns. Not a one did. I was the only one and exercised the landowners lien. The farmer went nuts. Not a long time later full bankruptcy and then federal charges. My owner....got paid.

The farmers I find that "cheat" on fertility aren't usually the big operators which high cash rent. It's usually the guy who has been on the land a long time and does the same thing he did decades ago which likely wasn't enough then. A number of managers make me cringe. They do drive by inspections and it means what is sounds like. Landowners that don't know how to read reports are really at a disadvantage. I teach owners (even my own) how to manage on their own. I teach them how to manage their manager basically.

Will never forget when Joel Hertz showed up without notice on a farm my dad leased. As a little kid I didn't understand, but now I find it quite hilarious. My dad wasn't a great farmer. I got him to change a lot of things and so did Joel.
Many operations have areas for improvement. I don't just farm but won't get into that online. Stepping between industries only highlights how important perspective is important, especially with regard to the smallest detail potentially being a tipping point changing the overall outcome.
It's good to put reports together as sometimes being confident in the decision means one doesn't spend enough time checking the work for potential improvement the next time around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT