ADVERTISEMENT

DEFENSIVE UNIT YOU FEEL BEST ABOUT

jerbob36

HR All-State
Dec 16, 2012
DBs -- TOP 7 as best as I can tell (starters on top row)

Lee SO/Hall JR Schulte SR. Xavier JR Harris SR
Nestor SO. Entringer SO

LBs -- Top 5 as best as I can tell (including Castro here, though he could also go with DBs)

CaSHtro SR Higgins SR Jackson SR
Sharar JR Harrell JR

DL -- TOP 7 as best as I can tell
Craig SR Graves JR Black SR Hurkett SR
Allen SO Llewellyn JR Pittman JR

DBs - I feel best about them. Experience, playmaking, young hungry guys waiting in the wings pushing the starters.
LBs - I feel great about the starters. Less so about the guys behind them.
DL - I feel good about this group, but wonder where the QB pressures/sacks are going to come from. Hopefully Craig continues to progress. Graves has been much hyped.

This is a really good defense once again.

I'd say DB's because usually under coach Parker it's a top 10 to 20 unit every year. But me personally any unit with Castro in it is top five automatically. That young man can out instinct almost anyone on the the football field and he has the physical skills. I like your list and it's a good discussion.

there’s no lockdown cb (like dejean or riley) this year and i suspect that harris and lee will at best be adequate. so my hopes are with the DL. if the DL isn’t more disruptive than usual the defense could take a significant step back.

there’s no lockdown cb (like dejean or riley) this year and i suspect that harris and lee will at best be adequate. so my hopes are with the DL. if the DL isn’t more disruptive than usual the defense could take a significant step back.
Did pretty darn good against Michigan in the BTCG against a 1st round NFL QB draft pick.

@best be adequate ?

Reactions: desihawk
i had the privilege of watching dejean last couple years
Fair enough, and Harris had an up & down last year for sure but they are very high on him and will play in the NFL and Lee played awesome last year as a first go around. And there is some buzz that John Nester might beat him out.

Reactions: desihawk
Might be worth splitting the DTs and DEs for the purposes of this exercise. I feel better about the DTs than I do about the DEs. Although the ends have some potential and might be a strength by mid-season.

i had the privilege of watching dejean last couple years
Was that a solo project? I think a few others may have watched him as well. Some P. Parker guy has watched these other guys as well and feels pretty good about them. But you go with ‘adequate’

Reactions: 1inamillion
Linebackers 1
DBs 1A (the loss of Cooper will be significant, otherwise they'd be 1
DL

I feel like without pressure maybe the DBs slip a little. Love the D overall as a unit but pressure is worrisome and could cause problems as a whole especially if O is a 3 n Out unit again (I think it’ll be much improved 🤞🏻

I hear you, Phil doesn't always go for the sack or want the QB to scramble.
This guy gets it, but it is surprising how many Iowa fans don't understand that Parker's DL is usually looking to contain the QB to force bad throws to the secondary or disrupt the passing lanes and get tip balls. He certainly prioritizes turnovers above sacks.

Reactions: kceasthawk
This guy gets it, but it is surprising how many Iowa fans don't understand that Parker's DL is usually looking to contain the QB to force bad throws to the secondary or disrupt the passing lanes and get tip balls. He certainly prioritizes turnovers above sacks.
This, Iowa thrives on bend don’t break and forcing untimely turnovers in the secondary. We will have one of the best defenses statistically this year. All we need is top 80 or better offense to have a special season.

Reactions: HawK + i
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT