ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Targets

Sep 3, 2009
Now that the transfer season has fully opened up, we are down Bowen and Perkins, along with Krikke and Pat already leaving. We definitely have some holes in the roster, namely at least 1 guard, and possibly another big man who is defensively focused. I thought I would look at the current transfer portal and see the possible options for those roles. I prioritized position and local proximity for these choices, but anyone else feel free to suggest any others as they enter the portal.

Forwards/Center

Andrew Morgan PF (JR/6-9/230)
Transfer from NDSU, from Waseca, MN
Averaged 12.9 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.0 apg
Offered by Iowa in 2021

Tarris Reed PF (SO/6-9/230)

Transfer from Michigan, from St Louis
Averaged 9.0 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 0.6 apg, 1.4 bpg
Offered by Iowa in 2022

Frankie Fidler SF (JR/6-7/217)

Transfer from Nebraska-Omaha, from Bellevue, NE
Averaged 20.1 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.2 spg

Xavier Amos PF (SO/6-8/210)
Transfer from NIU, from Chicago
Averaged 13.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.3 bpg

Guards:

Alston Mason CG (JR/6-1/175)
Transfer from Missouri St, from Overland Park, KS
Averaged 17.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.6 apg

Zeke Mayo PG (JR/6-3/170)
Transfer from SDSU, from Lawrence, KS
Averaged 18.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 3.5 apg

Kevin Overton CG (FR/6-3/180)
Transfer from Drake, from Wichita, KS
Averaged 11.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.1 apg

Noah Reynolds PG (JR/6-3/190)
Transfer from UW-Green Bay, from Peoria, IL
Averaged 20.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 4.5 apg

Tyler Cochran PG (SR/6-2/225)
Transfer from Toledo, from Bollingbrook, IL
Averaged 14.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.9 spg

Nate Heise PG (JR/6-5/205)
Transfer from UNI, from Lake City, MN
Averaged 13.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 2.4 apg

Some names I would add:

Isaiah Rivera - UIC Wing - Iowa was involved in his recruitment in high school; from Geneseo, IL

Kachi Nzeh - Xavier PF/C - Iowa was a finalist out of high school;

Connor Turnbull - Butler PF/C - Iowa offered when he was in high school; visit to Iowa City was planned before he re-committed to Butler after the coaching change

Is Harding ready to be a starter? Who do we need in the portal exactly? Harding is more of a slasher/pass first PG who can shoot when needed. We have Dix who is more of a 2/3 who prefers to catch a shoot. I would say we need a veteran guard who is more of a facilitator, we seem to have a couple of shooters now with the Sandforts and Dix.

Is Harding ready to be a starter? Who do we need in the portal exactly? Harding is more of a slasher/pass first PG who can shoot when needed. We have Dix who is more of a 2/3 who prefers to catch a shoot. I would say we need a veteran guard who is more of a facilitator, we seem to have a couple of shooters now with the Sandforts and Dix.
Every guard should be able to shoot a good percentage from the perimeter, especially one as small as Harding.

Reactions: HawkLogic
Gus Yalden PF (FR/6-8/240) has entered the portal from Wisconsin.

4 Star kid who was offered by Iowa last year.

Portal transfers = TP, Pmac & DB. if we could replace them with better rebounding, defense & three point shooting we have a chance at the dance.

None of these 3 transferring players brought much of any of these skills consistently.

Hey, does Austin Ash have any eligibility left??

He's got the kind of athleticism and handles we're looking for.

😁

• Haha
Reactions: skydog0784
Too bad we can't hire a cheaper coach and spend what we save on landing some of these portal guys. Without a wealthy benefactor, I don't see football school Iowa outbidding anyone for anybody.

I think Harding can be capable of being a starter. He is a tremendous passer that would flourish if surrounded by shooters. With Perkins and Krikke gone, I expect next year’s team will have more outside shooting threats.

We have 3 guaranteed starters (Dix, Payton, Freeman) and a few guys that can compete for a starting job.

I’m most curious about how the coaches grade Harding - do they see him as the primary PG and are looking for depth? Or do they think Harding is still a couple years away from being a solidified starter?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Th

Thought we were in his final group before his commitment. Wonder if he would consider us this time.
Looks like he'd be an instant starter at Iowa. 40% 3P with high volume. 82% FT. Low rebounding and stock numbers though.

Appears he had respectable games against Iowa State and Boise State, but not so much against FAU and Auburn. Very good shooting numbers against the ACC. But to the bane of this board he's a white wing.

We will be lucky to get anyone from the portal. And if we do, we'd better be happy with it & like it, damn it!

In other word's, Mikey will like anything!

This is Iowa in the portal! lol

He Likes It Life Cereal GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT