ADVERTISEMENT

Dems rip Biden for launching Houthi strikes without congressional approval

I think this is an empty threat being used to effect the administrations policy's.

These folks ain't voting for Trump and I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty easy to get them to vote against him.

The hand wringing over this segment of the D base isn't necessary.
They won't vote for Trump, but they might be stupid enough to vote for one of the third party candidates that will be available. That could be enough to flip swing states. It's how Trump won in 2016, after all. But I agree that these are empty threats. Just like people who say they aren't going to vote for Biden because of his support for Israel. When the reality of the alternative sets in, they will come around and vote for Biden. Assuming Biden is successful in making the case on what will happen if they vote for a 3rd party candidate or stay home in November.

Sets a dangerous precedent
Maybe you think that if you're young. We can always respond when we've been attacked, and we did virtually nothing over the past 3 months in the face of consistent attacks by houthis on American ships and troops.

Don't forget, the Houthis were a designated terrorist org until Biden admin stripped them of the label. Biden has every right to slap that label back on them and/or treat them as such.

The thing is I think that segment learned their lesson in 2016. Sitting out an election with Trump on the ballot isn't an option.

It's an empty threat trying to influence Israel policy.
Not sure I see a lot of the same rhetoric as 2016 now but could be a lot of fake accounts and gaslighting. Hopefully or my God.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
They won't vote for Trump, but they might be stupid enough to vote for one of the third party candidates that will be available. That could be enough to flip swing states. It's how Trump won in 2016, after all. But I agree that these are empty threats. Just like people who say they aren't going to vote for Biden because of his support for Israel. When the reality of the alternative sets in, they will come around and vote for Biden. Assuming Biden is successful in making the case on what will happen if they vote for a 3rd party candidate or stay home in November.
Correct I'm seeing warning signs of this as well.

Minority and young voters staying home on election day is what they need to worry about more than anything.

Maybe you think that if you're young. We can always respond when we've been attacked, and we did virtually nothing over the past 3 months in the face of consistent attacks by houthis on American ships and troops.

Don't forget, the Houthis were a designated terrorist org until Biden admin stripped them of the label. Biden has every right to slap that label back on them and/or treat them as such.
^^^ This.

Reactions to US, British strikes against Houthis in Yemen​

Reuters

Wait for it....

RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN MARIA ZAKHAROVA​

"The U.S. air strikes on Yemen are another example of the Anglo-Saxons' perversion of UN Security Council resolutions."

Zakharova said the strikes showed a "complete disregard for international law" and were "escalating the situation in the region". Russia also called for an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council on Friday to discuss the issue.

IRANIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN NASSER KANNANI:

"These attacks are a clear violation of Yemen's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a breach of international laws. These attacks will only contribute to insecurity and instability in the region.”

IRAN-BACKED HEZBOLLAH GROUP IN A STATEMENT:

"The American aggression confirms once again that the U.S. is a full partner in the tragedies and massacres committed by the Zionist enemy in Gaza and the region."

DUTCH PRIME MINISTER MARK RUTTE​

"The U.S.-British action is based on the right of self-defence, aims to protect free passage and is focused on de-escalation. The Netherlands, with its long history as a sea-faring country, places significant importance on the right of free passage and supports this targeted operation."

U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES SPEAKER MIKE JOHNSON, REPUBLICAN​

“This action by U.S. and British forces is long overdue... (Iran and its proxies) must understand there is a serious price to pay for their global acts of terror and their attacks on U.S. personnel and commercial vessels. America must always project strength, especially in these dangerous times."

U.S. SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON BEN CARDIN, A DEMOCRAT​

"I support President Biden’s decision to take precise action against these increasingly dangerous provocations that have threatened the interests of the U.S. and our allies, and welcome our coalition partners taking these actions with us. I look forward to continued consultation with the Administration on this decision, as required by law, and encourage the President to persist in his efforts to keep this conflict from spreading further in the region."

DEMOCRATIC U.S. HOUSE PROGRESSIVE CAUCUS CHAIRPERSON REPRESENTATIVE PRAMILA JAYAPAL​

"This is an unacceptable violation of the Constitution. Article 1 requires that military action be authorized by Congress."

The GOP loves war, so they won't be too much against this. Dems are selectively against this, depending on politics more than principles.

The underlying issue is the US being the police of the Red Sea and entire region, thus putting the US Military in harm's way, and then having to defend troops and sailors, and retaliate.

Bottom line is 'Why are we there'?

The Hamas caucus is pissed. ;)

A group of progressive Democratic lawmakers on Thursday responded furiously to President Joe Biden’s move to launch retaliatory strikes against the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen without first seeking congressional approval.

The strikes marked the first major U.S. military response to the group’s ongoing attacks on commercial ships since the start of the Israel-Hamas war.

The Biden administration justified the joint strikes with the United Kingdom, supported by the Netherlands, Canada, Bahrain, and Australia, as conducted “in accordance with the inherent right of individual and collective self-defense, consistent with the UN Charter.”

Lawmakers argued that the move violated Article 1 of the Constitution, which requires military action to be authorized by Congress. Biden notified Congress but did not request its approval.
“This is an unacceptable violation of the Constitution,” Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), who chairs the Progressive Caucus, wrote on social media.
Progressives Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) echoed Jayapal, decrying “endless war” and labeling Biden’s actions unconstitutional.
“The President needs to come to Congress before launching a strike against the Houthis in Yemen and involving us in another middle east conflict. That is Article I of the Constitution. I will stand up for that regardless of whether a Democrat or Republican is in the White House,” said California Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) on X, formerly known as Twitter. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) retweeted Khanna.
Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) responded to Khanna’s post in agreement, writing that ”the Constitution matters, regardless of party affiliation.” Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), also praised Khanna’s “principles” in a social media post. Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas) said that he was open to striking Yemen, but questioned why the decision had not been made by Congress.
Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wisc) also demanded the White House work with Congress before continuing the strikes. “The United States cannot risk getting entangled into another decades-long conflict without Congressional authorization,” he wrote in a post on social media.
Some Republicans, meanwhile, couched their praise of the strikes in broader criticism of the administration.

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement that he welcomed the U.S. strikes, writing that the use of force was “overdue.”

“I am hopeful these operations mark an enduring shift in the Biden Administration’s approach to Iran and its proxies. To restore deterrence and change Iran’s calculus, Iranian leaders themselves must believe that they will pay a meaningful price unless they abandon their worldwide campaign of terror,” McConnell added.

Senate Armed Services Committee ranking member Sen. Roger Wicker, (R-Miss), said in a statement: “This strike was two months overdue, but it is a good first step toward restoring deterrence in the Red Sea. I appreciate that the administration took the advice of our regional commanders and targeted critical nodes within Houthi-controlled Yemeni territory.”

“Terrorists know only the language of force and it is about time the administration acted on that fact. This action should have been taken weeks ago,” said Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“Biden must now act every day to end the ability of Houthi forces and all Iran-back terrorists to attack the US and our partners,” he added.

Iowa senator and veteran Joni Ernst also called the action “overdue” and wrote that “Iran-backed Houthis should never have been emboldened to wreak havoc on U.S. troops and global commerce.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said he was “very supportive” of the decision, adding that “the only language radical Islamic groups understand is force. I hope the Biden Administration understands that their deterrence policy has completely failed.”

Ok. The same 3 far left members of Congress. Nobody cares.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Such as not defending our troops would do? Quit being obtuse
They can’t agree with a Biden decision. It’s so fully ingrained in their DNA to be against anything he does. I used to think Republicans supported payback for attacks on our troops. Only when their president does it, I guess.

The President needs to have the leeway and flexibility to respond to something like this. This is a pretty clear case of where this is appropriate.

If we're in an extended campaign then congress needs to get involved.
The thing too, is Congress is going to back him if terrorists are attacking our military. It would be a big L for any politician to say otherwise. IMO.

Last edited:
They can’t agree with a Biden decision. It’s so fully ingrained in their DNA to be against anything he does. I used to think Republicans supported payback for attacks on our troops. Only when their president does it, I guess.
Who isn't supporting it? Remember when Dems used to be all for tariffs? The Trump passed tariffs. And they suddenly hated them?

Here are the Dem candidates not being able to give Trump credit after taking out the ISIS leader. In their DNA like you say, eh?

His fellow candidates were not so generous. While all of them praised the fact that a dangerous terrorist had been taken down, most criticized the president, pointing to his actions in Syria. Senator Amy Klobuchar, in an appearance on "Face the Nation," told host Margaret Brennan,"That's what concerns me overall about this president's decision-making and about what he has done in terms of breaking down our alliances — leaving the Kurds who gave us intelligence for this operation, leaving them for slaughter."

After a rally in Durham, North Carolina, Biden said, "I think the president should spend more time like President Obama did, giving credit to the incredible military and intelligence community planning." He added that if Mr. Trump had a part in planning the raid then he deserved some credit, CBS News campaign reporter Bo Erickson reports.

Senator Bernie Sanders said the president had betrayed the Kurds and brought more instability to the region.

The GOP loves war, so they won't be too much against this. Dems are selectively against this, depending on politics more than principles.

The underlying issue is the US being the police of the Red Sea and entire region, thus putting the US Military in harm's way, and then having to defend troops and sailors, and retaliate.

Bottom line is 'Why are we there'?
This leads to the question I have, “What would happen over there if the US completely left the ME? You know they won’t stop fighting each other.

It was impacting global economic activity, of course, we'll protect our interests. It's frustrating that we'll sit and watch genocides take place but as soon as it impacts Wall Street we'll pay attention.

Here are the Dem candidates not being able to give Trump credit after taking out the ISIS leader. In their DNA like you say, eh?

His fellow candidates were not so generous. While all of them praised the fact that a dangerous terrorist had been taken down, most criticized the president, pointing to his actions in Syria. Senator Amy Klobuchar, in an appearance on "Face the Nation," told host Margaret Brennan,"That's what concerns me overall about this president's decision-making and about what he has done in terms of breaking down our alliances — leaving the Kurds who gave us intelligence for this operation, leaving them for slaughter."

After a rally in Durham, North Carolina, Biden said, "I think the president should spend more time like President Obama did, giving credit to the incredible military and intelligence community planning." He added that if Mr. Trump had a part in planning the raid then he deserved some credit, CBS News campaign reporter Bo Erickson reports.

Senator Bernie Sanders said the president had betrayed the Kurds and brought more instability to the region.
Talking about people here….though as I read through the thread, most right wing guys are ok with it.

Having said that, I just saw Trump calls it starting another war so his supporters now have their talking point.

I think this is an empty threat being used to effect the administrations policy's.

These folks ain't voting for Trump and I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty easy to get them to vote against him.

The hand wringing over this segment of the D base isn't necessary.
I don't know. The far left is pretty dumb, and I could absolutely seeing a small but significant number deciding to sit it out to take what they believe to be a principled stand. (The margins in some states are razor-thin.) But at least they aren't running the party. Our politics will be taken to a whole new level of stupidity if both parties are kowtowing to their respective numpties.

I don't know. The far left is pretty dumb, and I could absolutely seeing a small but significant number deciding to sit it out to take what they believe to be a principled stand. (The margins in some states are razor-thin.) But at least they aren't running the party. Our politics will be taken to a whole new level of stupidity if both parties are kowtowing to their respective numpties.
Depends on how long it goes on....if it's done in the next few months it will be forgotten by November.

....and now the village idiot chimes in.

Greene denounces Yemen strikes, pointing to Biden’s past criticism of Trump​

Mike Lee’s dad didn’t care when Reagan destroyed half of the Iranian Navy.

It was three weeks after taking office, and if you read the statement, they acknowledge that the Houthis are terrorists. It was an effort to ease a humanitarian crisis.

They won't vote for Trump, but they might be stupid enough to vote for one of the third party candidates that will be available. That could be enough to flip swing states. It's how Trump won in 2016, after all.
Sigh.

alone-lonely.png

It was three weeks after taking office, and if you read the statement, they acknowledge that the Houthis are terrorists. It was an effort to ease a humanitarian crisis.

Eased Around and Found Out

Allentown, PennsylvaniaCNN —
President Joe Biden said Friday he’s delivered a message to Iran with Thursday’s airstrikes on Houthi rebels in Yemen, which he now is calling a terrorist group despite his administration’s 2021 decision to revoke that label.

“I’ve already delivered the message to Iran,” Biden said when asked his message during a tour of a coffee shop in Allentown, Pennsylvania. “They know not to do anything.”

“We will make sure we respond to the Houthis if they continue this outrageous behavior along with our allies,” he said.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Haley is in Ames on Sunday at Jethros. I might attend and throw her words back at her.
Please video so we can see how that goes!

I’d also like to see video or photos of all the Dems crashing the R caucus to vote for anyone other than Trump. Several have said they are switching parties to do so.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Please video so we can see how that goes!

I’d also like to see video or photos of all the Dems crashing the R caucus to vote for anyone other than Trump. Several have said they are switching parties to do so.

Who can caucus?​

You can caucus if you meet the following requirements:

• You must be eligible to vote in the state of Iowa.
  • You will be 18 years old by Nov. 5, 2024. That means if you're 17 and turn 18 between the date of the caucuses and the general election, you can caucus.
  • You must be registered as a Republican to participate in the Republican caucus or as a Democrat to participate in the Democratic caucus. If you're registered under a third party or no party, you won't be able to caucus, unless you change your registration to Republican or Democrat, which you can do on caucus night.

....and now the village idiot chimes in.

Greene denounces Yemen strikes, pointing to Biden’s past criticism of Trump​

Of course she does. She’s a lunatic.

Who can caucus?​

You can caucus if you meet the following requirements:

• You must be eligible to vote in the state of Iowa.
  • You will be 18 years old by Nov. 5, 2024. That means if you're 17 and turn 18 between the date of the caucuses and the general election, you can caucus.
  • You must be registered as a Republican to participate in the Republican caucus or as a Democrat to participate in the Democratic caucus. If you're registered under a third party or no party, you won't be able to caucus, unless you change your registration to Republican or Democrat, which you can do on caucus night.
A couple on here said they were planning to change their voter registration, just to caucus against Trump.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT