ADVERTISEMENT

Depth chart…

Ga_7ubfW8AAo12P

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Classic KF. He waits until after the teams goals are out of reach before changing QBs. Another season of missed opportunities with Kaleb Johnson almost certainly going pro next year. It's comical.
Classic Kirk? Inferring he's done this often? Give me some examples of Kirk waiting until the team goals are out of reach before changing quarterbacks.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I bet it was because Cade is actually hurt. Probably concussed. It has been hinted at, and I say this also because once he came out he never even warmed up again at half or during timeouts. I did see him congratulating teammates after plays coming off the field. That would be why he is nowhere on the depth chart.

And if Sully is injured in the first quarter running a QB draw. Are ready for the Lainez era vs Wisconsin?
Honestly does it really matter at this point? Cade has shown all season that he can't play the position with any degree of competence. You can't keep rolling him out there and sacrificing the team can you? The genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting it back. You play Sullivan or lose the team and the fanbase. The QB room is what it is today.

The hurt thing is a good "save-face" thing for everyone. I think Cade wanted to come to Iowa to build a resume for the NFL but we all know that is not going to happen. Good for him, he had some success at Michigan, was able to cash in for a couple of years and now get started on the rest of his life.

Gone or injured?
I'm guessing slightly injured, but not injured enough to where he couldn't play. I think this makes sense. His benching can be blamed on the injury, and then if Sullivan doesn't pan out here over the next two games, the case for going back to Cade is an easier one.

With respect to team goals, there are just too many holes in the secondary and the WR position to warrant any competition for the elites in the CFP. Even changing the QB to Sullivan, I think that is going to help the running game some more but he has done nothing here or anywhere else to show that he can help develop a downfield passing game. At this point, for the players and talent on the roster, I would like to see them win out and enjoy these two rivalry games at home and go to a manageable bowl game and win it. This season has a lot of parallels to 2008 anyway and this is the best they can hope for.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I bet it was because Cade is actually hurt. Probably concussed. It has been hinted at, and I say this also because once he came out he never even warmed up again at half or during timeouts. I did see him congratulating teammates after plays coming off the field. That would be why he is nowhere on the depth chart.

I am guessing Vander Zee, Ostrenga & Stephens haven't left the team, either. :)

Of the 5 injured:

Not Listed on the Depth Chart:
Cade McNamara
Reece Vander Zee
Beau Stephens
Addison Ostrenga

Listed on the Depth Chart:
Luke Lachey

Ga_6uplWUAACn5M

I'm guessing slightly injured, but not injured enough to where he couldn't play. I think this makes sense. His benching can be blamed on the injury, and then if Sullivan doesn't pan out here over the next two games, the case for going back to Cade is an easier one.

That doesn’t explain why he doesn’t show up in the two deeps. If Cade is available to go (slightly injured), he wouldn’t have fallen behind Lainez on depth chart.

The only way Cade doesn’t show up in the two deeps is if he is out or doubtful. Kirk made it sound in post game that he wasn’t too badly injured, which Kirk may have not disclosed the entire severity too. But if it was a concussion, I doubt Kirk makes those post game comments.

That doesn’t explain why he doesn’t show up in the two deeps. If Cade is available to go (slightly injured), he wouldn’t have fallen behind Lainez on depth chart.

The only way Cade doesn’t show up in the two deeps is if he is out or doubtful. Kirk made it sound in post game that he wasn’t too badly injured, which Kirk may have not disclose the entire severity too.
On Saturday I bet they will zoom into a dressed Cade on the sidelines and talk about how he is "dinged" up and is only available as an emergency option.

Reactions: iahawks10
Damnit. Now with Cade not the qb I might have to start watching the games again instead of just having it on in the background while I do other things. I was getting used to not having to watch 3-outs and getting things done around the house/yard instead of falling asleep.

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc

The only way Cade doesn’t show up in the two deeps is if he is out or doubtful. Kirk made it sound in post game that he wasn’t too badly injured, which Kirk may have not disclosed the entire severity too. But if it was a concussion, I doubt Kirk makes those post game comments.
Kaekert said concussion protocol is likely. Interesting that they sent him out for a series after.

I still think it's likely that Cade is injured. Could have suffered from a concussion or some kind of head injury. Having him off the depth chart makes sense, can risk playing someone who has that kind of injury.

Honestly does it really matter at this point? Cade has shown all season that he can't play the position with any degree of competence. You can't keep rolling him out there and sacrificing the team can you? The genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting it back. You play Sullivan or lose the team and the fanbase. The QB room is what it is today.
Does it matter? Of course it does. Pretty sure Cade's better than Lainez.

Kaekert said concussion protocol is likely. Interesting that they sent him out for a series after.
I don't think I believe all of that. They sent him out there for TWO more series after the late hit/wounded duck thing and he still had his helmet on during the last series of the half, which was Sully's THIRD series. If they were at all concerned about concussion they first would have evaluated him after the hit and then if he had one they would have taken his helmet and more than likely sent him to the locker room because he would have been sensitive to light. Or the opposite could be true that he really did get a concussion on that hit and then the Iowa medical staff grossly neglected their starting QB's health. Take your pick.

No, I think he threw a pick-six and KF saw enough and pulled him. Plain and simple. KF is just trying to handle it with some class and dignity, as well as keep everyone engaged in case they need to put him back in. We have seen this script a million times before in college and the pros; backup QB comes in and plays well after the starter is pulled, but then the next week as the starter when teams gameplan for him they struggle badly. So we should all temper our enthusiasm a bit and see how it plays out.

With respect to team goals, there are just too many holes in the secondary and the WR position to warrant any competition for the elites in the CFP. Even changing the QB to Sullivan, I think that is going to help the running game some more but he has done nothing here or anywhere else to show that he can help develop a downfield passing game. At this point, for the players and talent on the roster, I would like to see them win out and enjoy these two rivalry games at home and go to a manageable bowl game and win it. This season has a lot of parallels to 2008 anyway and this is the best they can hope for.
Lofty team goals are gone. But I have reinvigorated interest due to Sullivan playing. I look forward to how he progresses. Hopefully KF embraces the running QB from here on out.

Reactions: Iron Doc
I don't think I believe all of that. They sent him out there for TWO more series after the late hit/wounded duck thing and he still had his helmet on during the last series of the half, which was Sully's THIRD series. If they were at all concerned about concussion they first would have evaluated him after the hit and then if he had one they would have taken his helmet and more than likely sent him to the locker room because he would have been sensitive to light. Or the opposite could be true that he really did get a concussion on that hit and then the Iowa medical staff grossly neglected their starting QB's health. Take your pick.

No, I think he threw a pick-six and KF saw enough and pulled him. Plain and simple. KF is just trying to handle it with some class and dignity, as well as keep everyone engaged in case they need to put him back in. We have seen this script a million times before in college and the pros; backup QB comes in and plays well after the starter is pulled, but then the next week as the starter when teams gameplan for him they struggle badly. So we should all temper our enthusiasm a bit and see how it plays out.
It's Brian's fault.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT