ADVERTISEMENT

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Punishing people for trying to do what’s best for the health of children is goddamned pathetic. Anyone who agrees with this is a complete fvcking nitwit.

The Florida Department of Education has withheld funds from two school districts that made masks mandatory in classrooms this fall, state officials announced on Monday, making good on a threat that local school boards that required students to wear masks would be punished financially.

The announcement is the latest twist in a political fight over masking in Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, issued a ban on masks in school in July, only to be swatted back by a judge last week.
Richard Corcoran, the state education commissioner, said in a statement that the department would fight to protect parents’ rights to make health care decisions for their children, adding: “They know what is best for their children.”
The penalty applies to two school districts — Alachua County and Broward County — that went ahead with mask mandates in defiance of the governor’s order.
ADVERTISEMENT
The department had indicated that it would withhold a monthly amount equivalent to school board members’ salaries. In Alachua County, members make about $40,000 a year, and in Broward County about $46,000, according to the State Legislature’s Office of Economic and Demographic Research.
However, because the state does not pay the salaries of local officials, it cannot withhold the salaries directly. Mr. Corcoran had previously said that he might recommend withholding funds “in an amount equal to the salaries of the superintendent and all the members of the school board.”
On Monday, his department said that the counties had been instructed to cut school board compensation — and nothing else.
But the practical effect of that remains unclear. The Biden administration has advised that any school district that is stripped of state funding because of a backlash to pandemic precautions could use federal stimulus funds to make up the difference.
ADVERTISEMENT
In a statement, Broward County Public Schools said it would continue to enforce its mask mandate for the time being.
Alachua County school officials expected the district would lose about $13,400 a month, the equivalent of the salaries of four school board members who voted for a mask mandate.
“I’m very troubled by the state’s action,” Carlee Simon, the superintendent of Alachua County Public Schools, said in a statement. “Our school board members made a courageous decision to protect the health and lives of students, staff and the people of this community, and a court has already ruled they had the legal right to do so. They deserve praise, not penalties.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The Florida Department of Education did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I saw a little while ago that Taylor County closed their schools for the rest of the week due to covid issues. Taylor County is as red as it gets, both politically and neck.

Gulf County has done the same.

Reactions: goldmom and Torg
Punishing people for trying to do what’s best for the health of children is goddamned pathetic. Anyone who agrees with this is a complete fvcking nitwit.

The Florida Department of Education has withheld funds from two school districts that made masks mandatory in classrooms this fall, state officials announced on Monday, making good on a threat that local school boards that required students to wear masks would be punished financially.

The announcement is the latest twist in a political fight over masking in Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, issued a ban on masks in school in July, only to be swatted back by a judge last week.
Richard Corcoran, the state education commissioner, said in a statement that the department would fight to protect parents’ rights to make health care decisions for their children, adding: “They know what is best for their children.”
The penalty applies to two school districts — Alachua County and Broward County — that went ahead with mask mandates in defiance of the governor’s order.
ADVERTISEMENT
The department had indicated that it would withhold a monthly amount equivalent to school board members’ salaries. In Alachua County, members make about $40,000 a year, and in Broward County about $46,000, according to the State Legislature’s Office of Economic and Demographic Research.
However, because the state does not pay the salaries of local officials, it cannot withhold the salaries directly. Mr. Corcoran had previously said that he might recommend withholding funds “in an amount equal to the salaries of the superintendent and all the members of the school board.”
On Monday, his department said that the counties had been instructed to cut school board compensation — and nothing else.
But the practical effect of that remains unclear. The Biden administration has advised that any school district that is stripped of state funding because of a backlash to pandemic precautions could use federal stimulus funds to make up the difference.
ADVERTISEMENT
In a statement, Broward County Public Schools said it would continue to enforce its mask mandate for the time being.
Alachua County school officials expected the district would lose about $13,400 a month, the equivalent of the salaries of four school board members who voted for a mask mandate.
“I’m very troubled by the state’s action,” Carlee Simon, the superintendent of Alachua County Public Schools, said in a statement. “Our school board members made a courageous decision to protect the health and lives of students, staff and the people of this community, and a court has already ruled they had the legal right to do so. They deserve praise, not penalties.”
ADVERTISEMENT
The Florida Department of Education did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Welcome aboard finally.

COVID-odds-Heritage-Aug-31-2021-768x701.jpg

Well, using your logic from this stupid chart you have here schools shouldn't be allowed to close for hurricanes, they shouldn't be allowed to keep epi-pens on hand, or allowed to close early because of excessive heat.

LOL! My Jr. High School, in Florida, had no air conditioning.

In September and in May, our test papers were wet with sweat when we turned them in.

Reactions: goldmom
LOL! My Jr. High School, in Florida, had no air conditioning.

In September and in May, our test papers were wet with sweat when we turned them in.
I don't doubt it. Everyone who went to school before 1990 has "school in non-air conditioned buildings" stories. However, today's students are not forced to endure extreme high temperatures like we were in the past. Although there are still many, many schools that are not air conditioned.

Wow, so Alachua County Public Schools went ahead with a mask mandate, so they must be seeing transmission fairly under control since masks work so well.

Let’s just take a look…nope!

https://www.sbac.edu/dashboard
And yet my kids school with masks haven’t missed a day in two years. While the 4 other in county mask optional schools surrounding it have all been shut down for most of the time. 3 closed right now. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

Wow, so Alachua County Public Schools went ahead with a mask mandate, so they must be seeing transmission fairly under control since masks work so well.

Some of you people have such one dimensional thinking that I don't know how you make it through the day. I have a sister that thinks like you and she's either really pissed or happy because she thinks she was right and won some argument. But mostly she's pissed because a one dimensional thinker struggles to understand the argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

And to think, you voted for this....

I thought conservatives were for State's rights. Local control over big government.

I guess it doesn't go real local just stops at the state, right?
I don't think you really understand federalism. State rights vs federal rights, yes, state rights vs individual rights, no.

I don't think you really understand federalism. State rights vs federal rights, yes, state rights vs individual rights, no.
And you both think it's right to punish these places for doing what they believe is acting in the best interest of their students?

I thought conservatives were for State's rights. Local control over big government.

I guess it doesn't go real local just stops at the state, right?
This is the biggest thing I keep coming back to with the GOP these days.

They cry all about local control but when it comes down to it, they are even more controlling than the left. Shouldn't they let each district decide on mask mandates? That's as local as it gets.

Good for you sir. DeSantis is every bit the idiot that Trump is. The Right needs to come back to the middle and get some common sense.
They won't until they are annihilated. They are all in and emboldened now. It's them or the Republic. Period.

Good for you sir. DeSantis is every bit the idiot that Trump is. The Right needs to come back to the middle and get some common sense.
Agreed. The problem is that the media is looking to attack him on everything he does, like they did with Trump, when it doesn't need to and lends sympathy to him when they get it wrong.

This is the biggest thing I keep coming back to with the GOP these days.

They cry all about local control but when it comes down to it, they are even more controlling than the left. Shouldn't they let each district decide on mask mandates? That's as local as it gets.

Not about schools per se, but local mask mandates in general are a shitshow in places like North Carolina. No mask mandate in one county or town, but you do have a mask mandate in the county or town next door. You need a map to figure out where it's required and where it's not.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
This was a misstep on his part. Efforts should be stepped up together their stupid parents to vaccinate and if the kids are 12+ get them jabbed too.
The problem is you have a bunch of people who don't want to do the "right" thing.

A bunch of people in the '50's didn't want to wear seatbelts so we mandated that. Maybe it's time to mandate this vaccine ...

Reactions: SB_SB and RileyHawk
For high schools I agree. It should not be mandated. Almost everyone there has the option to get the vaccine which is recommended and the most effective way to reduce the spread. So if they are allowing people to choose not to follow the recommendation of the vaccine, they should let people also choose not to follow the recommendation of wearing a mask. Which the only reason for the recommendation for masks at that level is because not everyone that is eligible chose to get the vax. The vaccine should be mandated for anyone over 12 that is eligible before mandating masks. Or those that aren't vaxxed should go to virtual school until they are or the community reaches 85%or more fully vaccinated or reaches positivity rates of say less than 8%.

For schools that most of the population does not have the option to get the vaccine, I am fine with the mask mandate.

But to me it isn't even worth the big fight. It really isn't a big deal to wear a mask even if I don't think I should have to because I am vaccinated.

The die-hards all for mask mandates though that cite the concern for their child, I would like to ask if they are always wearing a mask around their child including in their own house? And would have to ask why not if they are so concerned and want others to wear masks around their child. They could after all be an asymptomatic covid carrier just as much as the strangers in their school.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT