ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis Signs Bill Stripping Worker Heat Protections

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
What could go wrong? No way businesses and construction companies would overwork folks in the heat...

Florida Politics reports:

Florida cities and counties will be barred from requiring businesses to give water breaks or other “cooling measures” to employees who work outside after Gov. Ron DeSantis signed HB 433.
The measure also removes the power of local governments to require contractors to pay higher wages, or use higher pay as an incentive in awarding bids. The new law, which takes effect July 1, also bars cities and counties from requiring employers to give workers their work hours ahead of time.
The votes mostly fell along party lines, with Republicans in support and Democrats opposed, but a handful of GOP lawmakers in each chamber also voted against it. The measure was supported by business groups, which opposed a push by some local governments to impose heat protection or wage regulations on businesses and contractors.

• Angry
Reactions: cigaretteman
Over the last ten to 15 years, the Florida Legislative and Executive branches have been the most anti-local rule government in American history. It's been worse under Desanus, but was also extreme under Scott.

I'm fairly certain that they would prefer to do away with all local government and make every decision amongst themselves.

Last edited:
One question I’d have is, is the state adopting stringent standards of their own and saying we just want one standard so they’re preempting local requirements?

Or, is the state not requiring anything and also barring locals from establishing new requirements?

One question I’d have is, is the state adopting stringent standards of their own and saying we just want one standard so they’re preempting local requirements?

Or, is the state not requiring anything and also barring locals from establishing new requirements?
As I understand it, FL has no state standard. Their claim was that federal standards would apply. Those standards have no specific requirements regarding heat, however.

My understanding is that it bans local governments (cities, counties) from enacting any standards or requirements.

Over the last ten to 15 years, the Florida Legislative and Executive branches have been the most anti-local rule government in American history. It's been worse under Desanus, but was also extreme under Scott.
One clear example is when DeSantis and the legislature passed a law overriding a Key West vote to limit sizes etc of cruise ships. Conveniently shortly after the pier owner donated $1m to the Rhonda Santis PAC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT