ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond King....

hawkeye_power

Team MVP
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, Florida
I've seen this happening more and more... Several times yesterday he was trying to run in and strip the ball instead of making a sure tackle or pushing the pile back. He admits to playing off receivers in hopes of baiting the opposing QB into a throw where he has a potential INT. Watch his attempted tackles on Mccafrey in the Rose Bowl. I think he is a great athlete, one of the best corners we have ever had, but he is not playing sound football and definitely not playing up to his ability.

Reactions: HawkeyeDenny
At least he's an electric punt returner that we setup and unleash on the opposition every chance we get....................................oh wait, never mind.

Yeah. I'm not saying our loss yesterday is because of any one thing, and definitely not Desmond King. I'm just stating what I've seen, and if you have spent any time breaking down film, you would have to agree with my concern.

Reactions: brandon2589
King was giving his all yesterday. What about the rest of the team? You could tell he was pissed on that last ko return. He wanted to take it to house and hit ground after being tackled. I'm sure he knew we would go 3&out.

Yeah. I'm not saying our loss yesterday is because of any one thing, and definitely not Desmond King. I'm just stating what I've seen, and if you have spent any time breaking down film, you would have to agree with my concern.
The list of problems yesterday was so long that it makes you look stupid to point out anything negative regarding King. Where do you think that secondary would be without him?

He's no concern at all. No offense is even gunna give him a chance to make a play... The only slightly negative thing is that because of that, he might be trying to do too much?

The list of problems yesterday was so long that it makes you look stupid to point out anything negative regarding King. Where do you think that secondary would be without him?
Well you would have to admit he is underutilized in the least. Opposing teams rarely throw his way, wouldn't he be laying the wood on some of these large run gains we've been getting gashed with? Corner blitzes? Wildcat QB?

Well you would have to admit he is underutilized in the least. Opposing teams rarely throw his way, wouldn't he be laying the wood on some of these large run gains we've been getting gashed with? Corner blitzes? Wildcat QB?

I figured it out, this is your first year watching Iowa football isn't it?

The last time Iowa did a corner blitz with King was in the Rose Bowl andit resulted in a 40 yard TD pass.

I like letting King cut the field in half making it easier for the rest of the defense.

I figured it out, this is your first year watching Iowa football isn't it?
Haha. I know. Just looking for a little different brand of Iowa football. Wishful thinking I guess. I think last year got everyone all fired up with this "New Kirk" talk and all. We just have a terrible record for not using weapons that are available to us. Tevaun Smith being the last example that comes to mind.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
He was the highest graded player on the defense for the NDSU game. I think he is fine.

Last edited:
The last time Iowa did a corner blitz with King was in the Rose Bowl andit resulted in a 40 yard TD pass.

Are you comparing NDSU to Stanford? So, the one CB blitz Iowa runs doesn't work so it should be shelved forever? Yeah, that's a good idea. Like taking Wadley out of the game and not letting him return after one dropped pass. I see the pattern--can't believe you like that pattern, though.

I just don't like the idea of taking our best cover guy out of coverage and relying on Taylor or Snyder replacing for him. I'm fine with a corner blitz if he was in the nickel because there is more of a likelihood of him disrupting the quarterback

When you've got two superior players (King and Jewell) on a defense that is struggling in their sectors of the field(linebackers and d-backs) it's not surprising to see them appear to be making mistakes because they are trying to do too much to make up for the shortcomings around them.

I would say if teams aren't throwing his way and he's taking 1/2 of the field out of play in the passing game that he's being perfectly utilized. It just doesn't show up on a stat sheet.

He took grant ou
Y'all see what I'm talking about now? King trying for like 3 strips instead of tackling Grant?
he took grant out of the game. And you were saying? Also Snyder caught flat footed on that play. I teach my 10 year old not to do that...

I did
Ok man. Watch the whole play. King stepped on his foot on accident. He didn't "take him out of the game" with a bone jarring hit.
King was trying everything. Also King just ran across the field to save a long pass on bowers guy. King is the only life in a horrid D.

I've seen this happening more and more... Several times yesterday he was trying to run in and strip the ball instead of making a sure tackle or pushing the pile back. He admits to playing off receivers in hopes of baiting the opposing QB into a throw where he has a potential INT. Watch his attempted tackles on Mccafrey in the Rose Bowl. I think he is a great athlete, one of the best corners we have ever had, but he is not playing sound football and definitely not playing up to his ability.

He made the critical hit on the 4th down on the goal line stand. There have been one or two big plays by the other teams' offense the past two weeks where King went for strips of the ball (to try to change momentum with a turnover) so it just appears he's playing out of control or something. He's so much more athletic and strong than his opponents that he appears to be aloof at times, but he has the speed, instincts, and ability to think while still making plays to change decisions about how to attack on the fly. He's a GREAT player, easily the most talented player on the team.

.... And he's missed throws....

But yeah that has been the biggest issue

Agree on the missed throws. I said during the game today that CJB just seemed a little off with his wideouts. There were a few overthrows (fourth down in the end zone) that were just past the receiver. That's going to happen with 20-22 year olds.

And I think the leaky o-line has led him to question whether to throw some down field, which is to be expected. While our Wideouts probably, this year, aren't great at getting separation they probably get enough for some throws but CJB is so scared that if he winds up he's going to get murdered I could see him not wanting to take that risk.

Agree on the missed throws. I said during the game today that CJB just seemed a little off with his wideouts. There were a few overthrows (fourth down in the end zone) that were just past the receiver. That's going to happen with 20-22 year olds.

And I think the leaky o-line has led him to question whether to throw some down field, which is to be expected. While our Wideouts probably, this year, aren't great at getting separation they probably get enough for some throws but CJB is so scared that if he winds up he's going to get murdered I could see him not wanting to take that risk.

Agee with all of this.

Wasn't calling you out either. I've just been more suprised by his play than anybody. Thought he'd be a potential heisman candidate, but maybe the bad line, bad WR's and (maybe) injury has been it. Hard to get into rhythm

Reactions: hawkeye_power
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT