ADVERTISEMENT

Did Jim Harbaugh take Iowa to the cleaners?!?

IChawkeye45

Scout Team
Jul 19, 2022
I wonder if Kirk or Brian ever had a conversation with Jim Harbaugh about Cade?!?
Maybe if they did, was Harbaugh smart enough to say just enough good things to convince them to bring in Cade, knowing that they hid his deficiencies at Michigan?
Brilliant move by Harbaugh if true. Give a team you’d eventually play for a big ten title a quarterback that you know all about.

If you look at Michigan they are built a lot like Iowa, but with better players. I don’t recall Michigan counting on their QB to make many plays. When Harbaugh was there they played hard defense and would run the ball.

That being said Cade had much better talent to throw to, and an offensive line that would give him time to do so.

I personally believe the Michigan coaches saw JJ McCarthey everyday in practice and knew he would eventually take the spot. If I recall correctly Cade got hurt, and JJ kept winning. Cade eventually had surgery but I don’t believe it was until after the season was over. In my opinion, he got beat out.

If you look at Michigan they are built a lot like Iowa, but with better players. I don’t recall Michigan counting on their QB to make many plays. When Harbaugh was there they played hard defense and would run the ball.

That being said Cade had much better talent to throw to, and an offensive line that would give him time to do so.

I personally believe the Michigan coaches saw JJ McCarthey everyday in practice and knew he would eventually take the spot. If I recall correctly Cade got hurt, and JJ kept winning. Cade eventually had surgery but I don’t believe it was until after the season was over. In my opinion, he got beat out.
That’s the sad thing too. If Cade was just a game manager, Iowa is probably sitting at 6 and 1. The mistakes he’s making, particularly against Iowa State, are just head scratching.

He’s a good kid, but I have to say I’m shocked by what an awful QB he is. I didn’t expect a game-changer but I sure as heck didn’t expect a Deacon Hill-level liability, which is exactly what he has become.

Cade has major accuracy issues and throws into double coverage. Cade may be mobile but the coach doesn’t want too much “backyard” running from the qb position, so we don’t really know, but suspect he probably isn’t mobile or at least lost a step with all the injuries.

He’s a good kid, but I have to say I’m shocked by what an awful QB he is. I didn’t expect a game-changer but I sure as heck didn’t expect a Deacon Hill-level liability, which is exactly what he has become.

On the DL, I think Cade is kind of a knucklehead. If you watched his interviews and the things he said, like before the season about people doubting this offense (without KJ, this offense is about the same as last year).

Also, I noticed and said as much in the game thread. After Vander Zee caught that TD pass, it looked like Cade was mouthing off to what I’m assuming was Michigan St fans. Kid just doesn’t seem bright.

Please...now we're trying to shift blame to Harbaugh. It's Kirk...it's always been Kirk. The offense sucks and our QB/WR talent is weak because of the way Kirk wants his offense to run.
It's been almost 2 years since a QB recruited has taken a snap...and the transfers that have played are terrible. This is what Kirk has manifested. It's on him. All of it.

Reactions: SI_NYC
I’d say Sullivan has been pretty decent. Which seems to be exactly why his PT is being kept to a minimum.

Please...now we're trying to shift blame to Harbaugh. It's Kirk...it's always been Kirk. The offense sucks and our QB/WR talent is weak because of the way Kirk wants his offense to run.
It's been almost 2 years since a QB recruited has taken a snap...and the transfers that have played are terrible. This is what Kirk has manifested. It's on him. All of it.
I agree absolutely. Either way Cade is 100 percent on Brian and Kirk.

Cade has always been mediocre. Kirk can't evaluate QBs anyway, so it doesn't matter what Harbaugh said. Unless they talked for 30 minutes about his attitude, his following team rules, and his traditional haircut.

Cade would have been replaced mid-season in 2022, IMO. 2021 ended in humiliation for Michigan. Harbaugh knew he had a ceiling with Cade, and Harbaugh wasn't satisfied with the ceiling. The 2022 camp reports were that it was very close between Cade and McCarthy, with some saying McCarthy looked better.

Cade is very fortunate to have landed at the one school with a coach that will stick with him through injury, poor play and game losing moments. I don’t see Cade getting the same opportunity he has at Iowa, at any other P4 program.

And Cade got paid.

Cade is very fortunate to have landed at the one school with a coach that will stick with him through injury, poor play and game losing moments. I don’t see Cade getting the same opportunity he has at Iowa, at any other P4 program.

And Cade got paid.
At this point, Cade is excess baggage from the Brian OC era.

Cade was a quality qb before the injuries. You don't have multiple 300 plus yard games in the BIG if you're mediocre. Healthy he'd be just fine. But after a couple major injuries he's just too gun shy to be effective.

Reactions: Carolina. Hawk
Cade was a quality qb before the injuries. You don't have multiple 300 plus yard games in the BIG if you're mediocre. Healthy he'd be just fine. But after a couple major injuries he's just too gun shy to be effective.
I think he was always average, but above mediocre. He was handing off to Blake Corum and had probably the best offensive line in the country at times. Michigan didn’t ask him to do much.

Reactions: BonzoFury
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT