ADVERTISEMENT

Did U Know? Philbin was O'Keefe's OC/OLine coach in early 1990's at Allegheny

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
And from what I remember reading is that O'Keefe's Allegheny offense was pretty wide open and high scoring.

Philbin has 1000x the OC experience and success as BrianF.

Let's not compare Philbin to Chryst or to other potential new OCs but let's compare the new OC to our soon to be leavaing OC BrianF. Dont you remember that BF had ZERO OC experience, his first few offenses were pretty good with some good receivers, great TEnds, good OLine talent with Wirfs and Jackson and Linderbaum, Wadley for a year iirc, Goodson. But then the receivers and OLine went sour.

So we should be getting a solid. experienced OC, who can make very good $$$$, and if they can rebuild the OLine and WR corp, get above avg QB play, etc then the offense will be good again, maybe above avg

And from what I remember reading is that O'Keefe's Allegheny offense was pretty wide open and high scoring.

Let's not compare Philbin to Chryst or to other potential new OCs but let's compare the new OC to our soon to be leavaing OC BrianF. Dont you remember that BF had ZERO OC experience, his first few offenses were pretty good with some good receivers, great TEnds, good OLine talent with Wirfs and Jackson and Linderbaum, Wadley for a year iirc, Goodson. But then the receivers and OLine went sour.

So we should be getting a solid. experienced OC, who can make very good $$$$, and if they can rebuild the OLine and WR corp, get above avg QB play, etc then the offense will be good again, maybe above avg
I would even take average!🤪

Well he would be working for a new Sheriff. Not KOK.

He ran the spread…

He ran the spread…
yep, or named differently 30 years ago, but more wide open.

Some people on here are just doomsdayers, jeez, Philbin was in the offensive meetings at Green Bay for a long time so I am sure he knows how the pros can run patterns. And college receivers can run these routes

The last few years the hawks have not been able to run a quick slant very well. That needs to change. When a receiver is single covered with cushion a quick slant can be gravy yards on first down and can even bust some for big YAC

I watched Allegheny beat central College in about 1990 in the D-3 play-offs in Pella. KOK’s offense was pretty much the offense Kirk ran. Ball control, strong run game and some play action passes….and yes, Philbin was his O/C then, too. They (Allegheny) got the lead early in the second half, and then just strangled Central’s offense with defense and field position. (Sound familiar?)
Allegheny won the D-3 title that year. Back in those days, not very many teams rolled into Pella and beat Schipper’s Central teams. Ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT