ADVERTISEMENT

Did Walmart stop enforcing masks?

hawkeye54545

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2005
I don't go very often but live in an area when I need supplies it's either that or Dollar General.

There were at least 10 or 15 without them and talking to a friend in Des Moines said the same thing there. I'm assuming it wasn't fair to the underpaid employees taking abuse for enforcing it.

In my experience a lot of businesses have mask policies in effect but I've never seen one actually enforce them.

If I was an employee there I wouldn't want to either. People have gotten shot for asking someone to wear a mask.

In my experience a lot of businesses have mask policies in effect but I've never seen one actually enforce them.

If I was an employee there I wouldn't want to either. People have gotten shot for asking someone to wear a mask.
Unless they have police on site it’s impossible to actually enforce it.
Really? Everybody seems to wear them at menards.

suppose there will always be a few rebels.
I don’t think they will make you leave or put one on. I had to pick up some wood back in June from there and while waiting for it to load I noticed a lot of people were not wear masks while going in. This was the Davenport location.

Our local Menard’s has security at the front door. They are still requiring them and I am there at least twice a week for work.
Every Menards I've been to, all of them in the DSM metro area, require masks. Wear one, buy one or gtfo.

Also haven't seen anyone at Walmart today or yesterday not wearing one.

I don't go very often but live in an area when I need supplies it's either that or Dollar General.

There were at least 10 or 15 without them and talking to a friend in Des Moines said the same thing there. I'm assuming it wasn't fair to the underpaid employees taking abuse for enforcing it.

I have solved this issue...I never go to Wal-Mart.

Back in April or May I think Menards tried to enforce masks and even sold them for a buck at the door but I don’t think it lasted long.

Huh? Menards in Iowa City was the first one I remember to require masks and regularly has someone stationed near the front of the store to ensure that everyone is wearing a mask. They sell them there if someone doesn't have one.

Costco seems to be enforcing it easily enough. I guess people are used to having to be checked going in for card. I've been several times and seen 100% mask compliance.

Kroger near me just put up a sign saying masks required this weekend. And publix put up a sign that said "Thank you for wearing a mask" but it seemed to stop short of requiring it. In any event, I went to both stores this weekend and saw only one person unmasked. That's the highest percentage I've seen. It's been running about 60-80% depending on a given visit, but near 100% at both stores combined this weekend.

That being said, I had to take my vehicle to the dealership for service last Friday. The service office is about 10' by 15', with a round reception desk type of setup, with 6-7 or so "service consultants" in their seats about a foot apart from each other. Then, there are the customers, up to 5-6 at any given time I was there.

None of the service people were masked, and all but one were clearly over 55. They're sitting in their all day for 8+ hours, with customers coming in and out, and all the technicians running in and out, and you'd think there was nothing up other than every customer I saw was masked. And these guys, in the most vulnerable age, just didn't care.

It was pretty disturbing. You'd think at the very least the dealer would mandate some distancing/masks, because if one person got COVID it would basically wipe out the entire service operation and revenue.

Costco seems to be enforcing it easily enough. I guess people are used to having to be checked going in for card. I've been several times and seen 100% mask compliance.
I would guess that on average, most people with the means and willingness to pay for the right to shop at place like Costco probably aren't so stupid as to think wearing a mask violates their constitutional rights.

Kroger near me just put up a sign saying masks required this weekend. And publix put up a sign that said "Thank you for wearing a mask" but it seemed to stop short of requiring it. In any event, I went to both stores this weekend and saw only one person unmasked. That's the highest percentage I've seen. It's been running about 60-80% depending on a given visit, but near 100% at both stores combined this weekend.

That being said, I had to take my vehicle to the dealership for service last Friday. The service office is about 10' by 15', with a round reception desk type of setup, with 6-7 or so "service consultants" in their seats about a foot apart from each other. Then, there are the customers, up to 5-6 at any given time I was there.

None of the service people were masked, and all but one were clearly over 55. They're sitting in their all day for 8+ hours, with customers coming in and out, and all the technicians running in and out, and you'd think there was nothing up other than every customer I saw was masked. And these guys, in the most vulnerable age, just didn't care.

It was pretty disturbing. You'd think at the very least the dealer would mandate some distancing/masks, because if one person got COVID it would basically wipe out the entire service operation and revenue.
I was in Costco yesterday and saw a woman shopping without a mask. However, her kids were wearing masks. She must've taken it off after entering or maybe has a medical condition. I stayed away.

employees are too scared to confront.

I was in BUC-EE'S yesterday and there was ONE lady and her son strolling around w/o a mask. I immediately grabbed an employee to complain. What did she do? Not a darn thing.

bucees-store-front.jpg

When it was just a store policy, I didn't see a lot of enforcement and there was probably 60%-70% compliance in our town. Once the county and city mandated masks, it's pretty close to 100%. The stores need to support of our government on mask policies.

Spoke with a Hy-Vee manager who was glad that the City/County passed a mask mandate.
Hy-Vee had discussed doing it, but was afraid of upset customers, impacts on staff, etc.
This person appreciated that the government took the action, so they didn't have to, and could be the 'bad guy' instead of their store.

Reactions: Herkyalert

I was in BUC-EE'S yesterday and there was ONE lady and her son strolling around w/o a mask. I immediately grabbed an employee to complain. What did she do? Not a darn thing.

bucees-store-front.jpg

We stopped at the Buc-ees in Madisonville and about 20% were mask-less. The employees weren't doing anything, even with the governor's order posted on the door. As we moved further into west Texas there were less and less masks. It was pretty easy to identify the Texan while we were in Colorado - no mask.

Reactions: alaskanseminole

bucees-store-front.jpg

Exactly what the employee should have done. You man up and tell them to put a mask on

I was in Wally World Saturday and "Rob" ( one of the employees) had no mask. Not even hanging from his ears.

Huh? Menards in Iowa City was the first one I remember to require masks and regularly has someone stationed near the front of the store to ensure that everyone is wearing a mask. They sell them there if someone doesn't have one.
I’m in Davenport and they never enforced it back in May/June. Maybe there are now but for awhile people were not being turned away.

Spoke with a Hy-Vee manager who was glad that the City/County passed a mask mandate.
Hy-Vee had discussed doing it, but was afraid of upset customers, impacts on staff, etc.
This person appreciated that the government took the action, so they didn't have to, and could be the 'bad guy' instead of their store.
That makes sense. Takes the heat off them.

Reactions: Pinehawk

bucees-store-front.jpg
Is that the one in San Marcos? I always stop there when driving between Austin and San Antonio.

Love me some Buc-ees's. We're finally getting some in Tennessee. I'm so excited!

I’d bet some wanted to wear masks but were afraid of looking like a wuss in front of their coworkers. That’s one reason why mandates from employers and govt works - everybody has to do it.

Exactly what the employee should have done. You man up and tell them to put a mask on
Clarify? Are you saying the employee shouldn't have done anything...you know, like get a manager and I, the customer, should have started a raucous?

Is that the one in San Marcos? I always stop there when driving between Austin and San Antonio.

Love me some Buc-ees's. We're finally getting some in Tennessee. I'm so excited!
might be...I just grabbed a random photo so folks would know what a BUC-EE'S was. We stopped at the one half-way between San Antonio and Houston on I-10.

Clarify? Are you saying the employee shouldn't have done anything...you know, like get a manager and I, the customer, should have started a raucous?

They’ve been told not to confront them. The same as the manager. That’s because people get shot for asking people to put a mask on.

So if you want them to put on a mask, you tell them

They’ve been told not to confront them. The same as the manager. That’s because people get shot for asking people to put a mask on.

So if you want them to put on a mask, you tell them
should I conceal carry or open carry when doing so?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT