ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
The Scorpions have been rocking since 1965?

Formation and early history (1965–1973)

Rudolf Schenker, the band's rhythm guitarist, launched the band in 1965. At first, the band had Merseybeat influences and Schenker himself handled the vocals. He played in a band with Lothar Heimberg before he founded Scorpions. Karl Heinz Vollmer left the band in 1967 because of his military obligations, then he could not associate anymore with the concerts and the military life.[19] Things began to come together in 1970 when Schenker's younger brother Michael and vocalist Klaus Meine, who had played together in the Led Zeppelin and Taste cover band Copernicus,[20] joined the band. With this line-up they won a music contest in 1972 and recorded two songs for a single that was never released on the CCA label, but the songs, "Action" and "I'm Going Mad" were later released on different compilation albums including Psychedelic Gems 2.

I loves me some heavy metal and hard rock, but for some reason I never got into Scorpions.

Oh, and by the way, it's not THE Scorpions. All their albums were by Scorpions only.

I was in Tirana, Albania during their 10th anniversary / Independence Day from communism. They played ‘Winds of Change’ nonstop for hours on end in the capital parade area. I felt like I was in 1989/90 again, and loved it. I think it’s Eastern Europe’s Lee Greenwood.

I saw Scorpions in 1979 at the 5 Seasons Center in Cedar Rapids. They opened for Blackfoot and headliner Ted Nugent. Best band that night.
I was at that concert also. I remember standing down in front, and Ted Nugent was so damn loud I thought he was damaging my ears. I also remember seeing Nugent spit into the crowd. I thought that he was kind of an asshole after seeing that. Even more so today.

I also remember my car being stolen outside our house later that night. Was hoping the thieves took my pot and pipes before the police or my parents found the car. They did.
CSB

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT