ADVERTISEMENT

Hall Is Suing Oates. Over What Is a Mystery.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
With a string of No. 1 hits like “Rich Girl, “Maneater” and “She’s Gone” in the 1970s and ’80s, followed by a more recent cultural resurgence, Daryl Hall and John Oates have long been one of pop music’s most celebrated duos.
But over the decades, there have been hints that things were not entirely copacetic between the two men whose names are almost always uttered in sequence. (Oates is the one with the famous mustache.) In the ’80s the group went on hiatus, and both members have at times pursued solo work. In 2020, they announced plans for a 19th studio album, but it never came to fruition; this year, the musicians performed separate tours.
Now, the discord is undeniable as Hall, 77, has filed a lawsuit in Nashville against Oates, 75, the partner with whom he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2014. Because a judge allowed the complaint to be filed earlier this month under seal, details on the disagreement are scant, but court records classify it as a contract lawsuit.

Lawyers for the two men did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The lore of Hall and Oates dates back to 1967, when the musicians were students at Temple University. As Oates tells it in his 2017 memoir, both men were performing in separate bands at a sock hop in Philadelphia when gunfire broke out and they ended up in a service elevator together. A few weeks later, Oates’s band split up after two of its members joined the military, and Hall invited Oates to play guitar for his group. Later on, they started writing music together, landing a deal with Atlantic Records in 1972 that propelled them to pop stardom.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

“John and I decided when we first came together as kids that we were both going to share the stage,” Hall, who has generally been seen as the principal writer and lead singer of the duo, told Classic Pop Magazine last year. “And that’s really the way that both of us have treated our careers.”
Known for their soulful music and bountiful heads of hair, the duo gained cultural cachet when their music became frequently sampled by hip-hop artists. Though their most recent studio album was a Christmas-themed effort in 2006, new generations have been exposed to their songs through TV and film placements: See Joseph Gordon Levitt’s elated strut to “You Make My Dreams” in “(500) Days of Summer.”
Hall and Oates have performed together often in recent years, including in a visit to the White House in 2015 and on their band’s most recent tour in 2021. In an interview that year with GQ, Oates said that he and his collaborator had “way more ups than downs,” adding, “It’s actually a miracle, I’m actually shocked that we are able to still play together and it’s great. It’s something that you have to really appreciate.”

I listened to him on the bill Maher podcast.

If accurate, Oates added very little and it surprises me he got any type of billing.

New light has been shed on a lawsuit by Daryl Hall against John Oates that was shrouded in mystery. The Associated Press reports that just-unsealed court documents reveal Hall is trying to stop Oates from selling his share of their business partnership to a company that already owns a significant part of their publishing rights. The “Private Eyes” and “Maneater” pop stars have a Nov. 30 hearing on the legal battle.

"Daryl Hall has accused his longtime music partner John Oates of committing the “ultimate partnership betrayal” by planning to sell his share of the Hall & Oates duo’s joint venture without the other’s permission, Hall said in a court declaration supporting his lawsuit to keep the transaction paused.

In his own court filing later Wednesday, Oates said that he was disappointed in Hall’s “inflammatory, outlandish, and inaccurate statements about me,” and argued that he had been trying for some time to enhance their business partnership."

This should be an episode of 'Yacht Rock'

As a farmboy in Iowa, when I first heard them on the radio, I thought I heard the disc jockey calling them "Haulin Oats".

When this initially came out I was surprised, why would there be a restraining order. Reading more into it, Hall definitely appears to be the more eccentric controlling one, so when it comes out that Hall is upset Oates wants to sell his part of the partnership, which Hall has always claimed they were individuals and were never partners . . . I am left scratching my head LOL.

“I am deeply troubled by the deterioration of my relationship with, and trust in, John Oates,” Hall said in the declaration.

Hall said in his declaration that the ordeal has unfolded while he’s been on tour throughout the U.S. West Coast, Japan and Manila. Hall said he believes Oates timed the sale “to create the most harm to me.”

Hall accused Oates of becoming “adversarial and aggressive instead of professional and courteous” toward him in the last several years. As part of a proposed “global divorce,” Hall said he was entertaining Oates’ idea to dissolve their touring entity and a separate partnership related to their musical compositions and publishing, while Hall raised the idea of dissolving Whole Oats Enterprises."

Sheesh....

When this much money is at stake, sad endings like this are bound to happen.

I would guess a lot of these stars when they sell their catalogs are allowed to continue to cash in on them live. So touring would continue to be lucrative I would think.

75 and 77…..and this is what they are focused on for the balance of their days. Unfortunate but there is always a willing lawyer.

Hall obviously seems to be the more adversarial and controlling of the two. Just buy him out if thats the issue.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT