ADVERTISEMENT

Difference between Iowa and Alabama!

bouma1415

HB All-State
Oct 8, 2005
First the Similarities:
  • Both play in major conferences.
  • Both run off players that don't compete.
  • Both have conservative coaches.
  • Both are football based schools
  • Both have avid fan bases
Now the Differences:
  • They have red uniforms, Iowa's are black and gold.
  • They have a hotbed of recruits in their back yard, Iowa not nearly so much.
  • Iowa signs 2 & 3 star athletes with an occasional 4, Alabama signs 4 star athletes with an occasional 5 star and 3 star athlete.
  • Iowa is a "Developmental Team", Alabama's is a reloading team
  • Iowa's goal is to compete, Alabama's goal is to win National Championships
  • They win national championships, Iowa, not so much.
The list is not complete, but I wanted to note how both teams seem to lose players that don't make the cut, but Alabama starts with higher level of recruits. Iowa can not criticize the SEC for oversigning, then cutting the talent that does not develop. Iowa sort of does the same thing, but in a different way. Iowa needs to amp up it's recruiting.

You forgot a couple key similarities:

1. Both are named after States- from the United States
2. The states of both teams are passed through North-South by interstates ending in 5
3. Both coaches are paid in the top 10.

Yes yes let's compare Iowa in the Midwest to one of the premiere programs of all time. That is located in great part of the country for recruiting with the best coach in the nation and that has been the most dominate the last 5 years.

For the "running off the player" every school from Alabama to UNI sees player attrition from players who see the writing on the wall there won't be any playing time any time soon and leave for somewhere they can get on the field. Point and case Hilliard.

every school from Alabama to UNI sees player attrition from players who see the writing on the wall

iahawkeyes17, perhaps you should start a separate thread related to the similarities between Alabama and UNI. This thread is dedicated to the similarities between Iowa and Alabama.

The point of the thread is to those who have slammed the SEC in the past, due to oversigning. Seems like Iowa has had more than it's share of kids leaving the team lately. No significant legal troubles or grade troubles, but kids seeing the writing on the wall that they are not going to play. Whether the coaches are pointing it out, or the depth chart tells them better. Probably the same happens at Alabama or UNI! Not close to Alabama to know what actually happens there.

LOL. Both have avid fan bases. Get real. They are D1 fans, we are not.

The point of the thread is to those who have slammed the SEC in the past, due to oversigning. Seems like Iowa has had more than it's share of kids leaving the team lately. No significant legal troubles or grade troubles, but kids seeing the writing on the wall that they are not going to play. Whether the coaches are pointing it out, or the depth chart tells them better. Probably the same happens at Alabama or UNI! Not close to Alabama to know what actually happens there.
Players leaving and over signing are entirely different things. The SEC signs more kids than they have open spots for. Iowa loses kids and gives the a holly to a walk on. This exacerbates the difference in quality of recruits when Bamas replacements are 4 or 5 stars and Iowas are walk ons.

They have a littany of players who know the justice system well as does as a fan who admitted killing a natural treasure on a radio show. Iowa does not to my knowledge.

Their instate rival is a powerhouse program, Iowa's not so much. They have one of the most vocal and sometimes overbearing fans in the nation. Roll Tide is one phrase I hate more than anything. Iowa usually has respectful fans who are cordial when visiting other states.

They have a littany of players who know the justice system well as does as a fan who admitted killing a natural treasure on a radio show. Iowa does not to my knowledge.

Their instate rival is a powerhouse program, Iowa's not so much. They have one of the most vocal and sometimes overbearing fans in the nation. Roll Tide is one phrase I hate more than anything. Iowa usually has respectful fans who are cordial when visiting other states.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you are saying if Iowa was in the top 5 year after year, they would all still be respectful, cordial fans? Probably not.

Unfortunately, for a developmental program, player attrition really really hurts. These players leaving Iowa, for the most part, are not being run off.

I'm sure if you looked at the sizes of recruiting classes over the last four years, I'm sure Iowa has signed a lot fewer recruits.

Edit: over the last four years Alabama has signed 15 more recruits than Iowa

Last edited:
Players leaving and over signing are entirely different things. The SEC signs more kids than they have open spots for. Iowa loses kids and gives the a holly to a walk on. This exacerbates the difference in quality of recruits when Bamas replacements are 4 or 5 stars and Iowas are walk ons.

Yes, its exact opposite ends of the spectrum.

Over signing is a enormousness benefit, Iowas attrition is almost always a detriment.

Iowa doesn't run off players that cant make the 2deeps, the majority of the guys that end up leaving the staff likely does not wan't to leave. A few yes, but most of the guys who don't pan out end up staying and occupying scholarships.

SEC teams on the other hand, have found a loop hole to essentially circumvent the scholarship limit, This in my opinion is the main reason they have such high caliber teams. They are able to recruit the equivalent of a 5th class every 4 years and they are never saddled with busts because they cut them lose.

If scholarships were made 4 years mandatory across the board, which is basically what they are everywhere else, the sec would fall back down closer to the rest of the pack.

Reactions: clickhere 01

This is not reality. Ill bet 70 percent or more of the guys who have left Iowa over the last ten years were guys the staff wanted and could have contributed while a huge portion of guys that never see the field stay on scholarship.

A large percentage of guys who have left Iowa are usually the ones from farther away like Florida or the east coast.

It basically got so bad they stopped recruiting florida for the most part. That is the opposite of an advantage.

Reactions: clickhere 01
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you are saying if Iowa was in the top 5 year after year, they would all still be respectful, cordial fans? Probably not.

I guess some could look at it that way. Boasting does seem to be more prevalent when one has success.

This is such a laughable theory. As if Iowa strategically ran off scholarship players to make more room for the walkons you currently see in the two deeps.

I would not say they have more recruits in their backyard (maybe more athletes). They have to compete with Auburn, LSU, the Mississippi schools etc. They do recruit nation-wide. The big factor is admission standards. Forrest Gump probably would not be a admitted to Iowa. Well, maybe on probation. TOSU and Michigan St. seem to do all right.

I would not say they have more recruits in their backyard (maybe more athletes). They have to compete with Auburn, LSU, the Mississippi schools etc. They do recruit nation-wide. The big factor is admission standards. Forrest Gump probably would not be a admitted to Iowa. Well, maybe on probation. TOSU and Michigan St. seem to do all right.

You're right. If we were to just lower standards, or at least do more to slot athletes into a program where they may or may not graduate but can keep playing, we would likely be competing for the same recruits with the same success rate as Alabama.

Alabama may seem sexy with its clearly BS Academic standards related titles until you drive down HWY 6 and see the luscious VA building and the Iowa river in the fall.

Don't know how Alabama/Saban does it , but if you ain't playin' you ain't stayin' and that's fair if the players know it going in. Also consider these facts
1. Nick doesn't need people to approve of or like him, he needs to win
2. If I were a player who was not going to see the field I hope someone is honest with me about the situation so I can find a place where I can play
3. This approach, while cold and heartless. mirrors real life if you don't produce you are out.

Don't know how Alabama/Saban does it , but if you ain't playin' you ain't stayin' and that's fair if the players know it going in. Also consider these facts
2. If I were a player who was not going to see the field I hope someone is honest with me about the situation so I can find a place where I can play
3. This approach, while cold and heartless. mirrors real life if you don't produce you are out.
There is a massive difference between being up front with a kid about playing prospects and allowing them (even helping) to land on their feet and recruiting a kid to take his spot even when there is no scholarship available unless one of them leaves.

So they are employees?? They need paid? Or are they scholarships?

They are getting paid. Their full scholarship is worth a great deal of money. The trade-off is simple produce on the field and get a free ride if not, go somewhere else. I would like to see something like a limit on the # of players lost to attrition each year. But again, Nick Saban's focus is on winning not being a nice guy.

First the Similarities:
Now the Differences:
  • Iowa signs 2 & 3 star athletes with an occasional 4, Alabama signs 4 star athletes with an occasional 5 star and 3 star athlete.
The list is not complete, but I wanted to note how both teams seem to lose players that don't make the cut, but Alabama starts with higher level of recruits. Iowa can not criticize the SEC for oversigning, then cutting the talent that does not develop. Iowa sort of does the same thing, but in a different way. Iowa needs to amp up it's recruiting.[/QUOTE
First the Similarities:
Now the Differences:
The list is not complete, but I wanted to note how both teams seem to lose players that don't make the cut, but Alabama starts with higher level of recruits. Iowa can not criticize the SEC for oversigning, then cutting the talent that does not develop. Iowa sort of does the same thing, but in a different way. Iowa needs to amp up it's recruiting.

It's really not that hard....at Alabama good players play, not so good leave or stay and help the good get better. At Iowa, whoever the coach likes plays. The good players transfer to other schools and all of sudden look like Good players? Oh, and it's all about how we practice everyday. Game time performance not that important... Only at Iowa

Last edited:
It's really not that hard....at Alabama good players play, not so good leave or stay and help the good get better.
At Iowa, whoever the coach likes plays. The good players transfer to other schools and all of sudden look like Good players? Oh, and it's all about how we practice everyday. Game time performance not that important... Only at Iowa

So KF liked DJK and the list of all-americans that have played under KF were not good players? Gotcha.

Can you actually name one player that transferred from Iowa and KF and was a success in major college football? I mean give me 1 name. Then I will rebut that with a list of players that transferred that were never heard from again. Who do you think wins that battle? LOL

Also, are you suggesting that Iowa is the only place in America that places an emphasis on practice? Good God man go outside and play.

Last edited:
Your right about DJK, KF did not like him.

Bennie Sapp, James Cleveland, Cody Sokol...I will have to look, there are more or more coming. Of the 69 recruits from 2011 to 2013 almost 30 have left the program....that's not normal attrition? I'm sure there are more that transferred that didn't matter, but as of late are the ones who stayed better? Not sure you have won anything....an barely average football program?

My comment about practice had some sarcasm in it....you hear how a player would have a great week at practice and then consistently lay a turd on Saturdays....specifically at the QB position the last 5 years.

Practice is obviously the best place for coaches to evaluate talent, just have thought players are given too long of a leash here to perform....Would like to see more of the younger players get a shot when the starters are not getting it done. He always throws in one or two to make it look good....when you are 19-19 over the last three years something is broke!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT