ADVERTISEMENT

Do we all understand that Olympic boxer Imane Khelif is, in fact, female?

The test that would identify her chromosomes as XY would take at least 2 weeks for the full results. The IBA couldn't have done one.

Those of you that have daughters have no idea what their chromosomes might be because that kind of testing only happens if there are other problems.

Do you *XY* worriers want every female athlete to undergo a chromosome test before beginning competion at the middle/high school level?

If two weeks is being quoted, that’s likely average lab turn around time (which lines up with the nominal time going off my memory). For karyotype, you would prefer a bone marrow sample, then you would split between a 24 hr and 48 hr culture. Getting slides “dropped” takes another day, and analysis another. If this case was “hot,” they could have results much sooner than 2 weeks. If simply looking for presence of Y chromosome, you could run FISH (fluorescent in-situ hybridization) on peripheral blood, and tag the centromeres of the sex chromosomes. That could be done in under two days. There is a possibility to use the same approach and determine SRY activity/presence as well (paper is out there for XX male diagnosis on particular patient).

FTR, this isn’t commentary to prove or disprove what tests were performed. More just adding to the diagnostic discussion of the link posted.

If two weeks is being quoted, that’s likely average lab turn around time (which lines up with the nominal time going off my memory). For karyotype, you would prefer a bone marrow sample, then you would split between a 24 hr and 48 hr culture. Getting slides “dropped” takes another day, and analysis another. If this case was “hot,” they could have results much sooner than 2 weeks. If simply looking for presence of Y chromosome, you could run FISH (fluorescent in-situ hybridization) on peripheral blood, and tag the centromeres of the sex chromosomes. That could be done in under two days. There is a possibility to use the same approach and determine SRY activity/presence as well (paper is out there for XX male diagnosis on particular patient).

FTR, this isn’t commentary to prove or disprove what tests were performed. More just adding to the diagnostic discussion of the link posted.
I just read that full results take around 2 weeks. I'm certainly no expert on the topic. I just don't think the IBA would preform a test that is this in-depth.

I just read that full results take around 2 weeks. I'm certainly no expert on the topic. I just don't think the IBA would preform a test that is this in-depth.
the bottom line, after all this, is...

we don't actually know ANYTHING about her condition other than there was one failed unspecified test for which the results were never disclosed...that's it

Reactions: gohawks50
the bottom line, after all this, is...

we don't actually know ANYTHING about her condition other than there was one failed unspecified test for which the results were never disclosed...that's it
If the test was even failed at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT