ADVERTISEMENT

Do we still hate Illinois bb?

I remember the 2000's and this board was crazy with Illinois hate. It was fabulous. What ever happened to that hatred?

Yeah...they've been in shambles of late. Where have the days of Kendall Gill/Nick Anderson gone?

There is no rivalry now because they have been bad.

They do have a REALLY good player in Malcolm Hill.

That era can be summed up in 1 photo:

f738bcec-113e-11df-a14b-001cc4c03286.image.jpg

Boy does that seem both a long time ago and just yesterday at the same time.
You know what I notice the most about that pic?

How little black and gold and how much orange there is in CHA.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
RedHawk hated them enough for all of us. That guy was a 24/7/365 Illini hater.

I am no fan,but do admire the tenacity of the Orange Crush...making a mid-week trip to Minny in this miserable season for the Illini shows some damn fine loyalty.

RedHawk hated them enough for all of us. That guy was a 24/7/365 Illini hater.

I am no fan,but do admire the tenacity of the Orange Crush...making a mid-week trip to Minny in this miserable season for the Illini shows some damn fine loyalty.
What ever happened to Redhawk?

I still look at the Illini with disdain, It goes back to when Henson and Jimmy Collins were running a corrupt program, Bruce Pearl knew it, Bobby Knight knew it, Digger Phelps knew it and all at one point or another pointed it out, Yet because of circumstances Bruce Pearl was chastised and went to coaching purgatory for a long time and the Illini fans acted like they were the ones that had been wronged. You can debate the merits of whether or not Pearl crossed the line in how he handled the recruitment of Deon Thomas in regard to Illinois offering illegal inducements, However almost everyone knew there was some really shady crap going on at Illinois.
The distortion never ceases. Bruce Pearl was an assistant coach who Tom Davis brought with him in a relationship that began with Pearl as an undergraduate non-player at Boston College to Stanford to Iowa. His part in the Deon Thomas purchase by Henson-Collins was simply that of an employee carrying out an assigned task.

Prior to the taping of Pearl's phone conversation with Thomas, there was a meeting of concerned coaches about the continued Illini paying large sums to recruits. Among those present were several ADs including Bump Elliott of Iowa and coaches including Digger Phelps (NDame). Bobby Knight (Indiana, & Gene Keady (Purdue). When Elliott returned to Iowa City he arranged for university phone servicemen to install a recording device to tape the call on Pearl's home phone. Pearl was instructed to deliver the tape immediately that evening to Elliott. When Pearl turned the recording over to Elliott from that time on the operation was in Elliott's hands.

David Berst, the NCAA Director of Enforcement,was frustrated by Illinois refusal to cooperate in its inquiry or to make any of its records available to the NCAA. And as a nono-governmental organization the NCAA has no power to subpoena or compel production of evidence. The NCAA had to drop the inquiry with an official finding of lack of evidence. But their was no doubt of the guilt of Hensosn & Collins. Nor could the Illinois administration ignore the facts. The involved regents resigned, Henson was forced into early retirement, Collins was not kept on.
Then squeaky; clean Lon Kruger was brought in to clean the stable. But Kruger soon left in disillusionment, and then so did Bill Self, and eventually the inherent corruption of a state university under the thumb of corrupt Illinois politicians for the past century has resulted in Illioni athletics being a willing victim of the squalid mess in Champaign....with no apparent end in sight.

Last edited:
That era can be summed up in 1 photo:

f738bcec-113e-11df-a14b-001cc4c03286.image.jpg

Boy does that seem both a long time ago and just yesterday at the same time.

I always think of this game when Iowa BBall hit rock bottom with all their fans in an empty Carver. Plus remember at the end of that season when Iowa struggled to get to 40pts at Minny and Wisky. It just makes you appreciate Fran even more if that's possible.

Reactions: And1Hawk
The distortion never ceases. Bruce Pearl was an assistant coach who Tom Davis brought with him in a relationship that began with Pearl as an undergraduate non-player at Boston College to Stanford to Iowa. His part in the Deon Thomas purchase by Henson-Collins was simply that of an employee carrying out an assigned task.

Prior to the taping of Pearl's phone conversation with Thomas, there was a meeting of concerned coaches about the continued Illini paying large sums to recruits. Among those present were several ADs including Bump Elliott of Iowa and coaches including Digger Phelps (NDame). Bobby Knight (Indiana, & Gene Keady (Purdue). When Elliott returned to Iowa City he arranged for university phone servicemen to install a recording device to tape the call on Pearl's home phone. Pearl was instructed to deliver the tape immediately that evening to Elliott. When Pearl turned the recording over to Elliott from that time on the operation was in Elliott's hands.

David Berst, the NCAA Director of Enforcement,was frustrated by Illinois refusal to cooperate in its inquiry or to make any of its records available to the NCAA. And as a nono-governmental organization the NCAA has no power to subpoena or compel production of evidence. The NCAA had to drop the inquiry with an official finding of lack of evidence. But their was no doubt of the guilt of Hensosn & Collins. Nor could the Illinois administration ignore the facts. The involved regents resigned, Henson was forced into early retirement, Collins was not kept on.
Then squeaky; clean Lon Kruger was brought in to clean the stable. But Kruger soon left in disillusionment, and then so did Bill Self, and eventually the inherent corruption of a state university under the thumb of corrupt Illinois politicians for the past century has resulted in Illioni athletics being a willing victim of the squalid mess in Champaign....with no apparent end in sight.

I'm a bit confused by the "distortion" comment. I read the transcripts of Bruce Pearl's testimony to the NCAA, I also did not know about a meeting with several AD's and coaches in regard to Illinois and the alleged cheating. I also did not know that Bump Elliot was responsible for the phone being tapped. Would love to read where this info comes from.
In regard to Henson and Collins, The Deon Thomas incident took place in 1989, Henson and Collins both coached at Illinois through the 96 season. I don't think the Thomas recruitment had anything to do with Henson's end at Illinois, Collins was named Head Coach at UIC after the 96 season. So again I'm somewhat confused in regard to the "facts" you are posting.

If no one's changed their mind on it by 2016, it must be too important to you, but Deon Thomas' recruitment was never found to be illegal in ANY way (despite Bruce Pearl's zealous quest and doctored tape as "evidence") and I find it hilarious that you guys take the word of an ACTUAL proven cheater in Pearl just so that you can maintain Illinois "cheated." It's just SO unbelievable that a CHICAGO recruit would want to go to ILLINOIS, the better program historically and his state flagship school, than Iowa? LOL.

Enjoy your season. You have a great team.

Reactions: WWEFAN2
If no one's changed their mind on it by 2016, it must be too important to you, but Deon Thomas' recruitment was never found to be illegal in ANY way (despite Bruce Pearl's zealous quest and doctored tape as "evidence") and I find it hilarious that you guys take the word of an ACTUAL proven cheater in Pearl just so that you can maintain Illinois "cheated." It's just SO unbelievable that a CHICAGO recruit would want to go to ILLINOIS, the better program historically and his state flagship school, than Iowa? LOL.

Why just not shorten that to, "Prove it."?

That still leaves you the fallback option of, "Well, everyone does it.", if you actually do get caught.

Remember, despite all the denials and tight lips the Illini were found to be so sleazy as to deserve NCAA sanctions even if exact proof couldn't be found. You only get so much, "How did these kids get these cars?" "Loans!" "How did they get loans without jobs?" "We don't know." "How did they make payments with no income?" "We don't know."

Heck with it, probation!!!!

To this day the Illini faithful stick with the slick, and that should be embarrassing.

Illinois, the better program historically. o_O Better at cheating? Better at denial? Sure seems like it.

I skipped past the thread, but YES. Those fans who go back to the days of Lou Doo and his sidekick Jimmy the Snake will always hate Illannoy basketball. It doesn't mean we hate all of the players, but if the Orange Crush lost every game, I would still not feel sorry for them. I hope they are dumb enough to stick with their coach for at least a few more years. If you didn't have a reason to dislike Illannoy basketball, just watch him on the sideline for a while. His coaching philosophy seems to be to whine about everything that doesn't go his way, instead of coaching up his players.

Must suck being an Illinois fan, sucking from September all the way through March......On the bright side, its really fun for us to watch the dumpster fire known as Illinois athletics from the west side of the Mississippi. Just when you think the flames can't get any bigger....

You mean this season!!!! Is that Illinois all the way down there at the bottom sitting in the double digits in the standings
Big Ten basketball standing this season-
#3 Iowa 7-0 -- 1.000 16-3 .842 W9
#19 Indiana 7-1 .5 .875 17-4 .810 L1
#8 Maryland 6-2 1.5 .750 17-3 .850 L1
Michigan 6-2 1.5 .750 16-5 .762 W3
#21 Purdue 5-3 2.5 .625 17-4 .810 L1
Ohio State 5-3 2.5 .625 13-8 .619 W1
Nebraska 4-4 3.5 .500 12-9 .571 L1
#12 Michigan State 4-4 3.5 .500 17-4 .810 W1
Wisconsin 4-4 3.5 .500 12-9 .571 W3
Northwestern 3-5 4.5 .375 15-6 .714 L3
Illinois 2-5 5 .286 10-10 .500 W1
Penn State 2-6 5.5 .250 11-10 .524 L2
Minnesota 0-8 7.5 .000 6-14 .300 L9
Rutgers 0-8 7.5 .000 6-15 .286 L8

Could post football standings but a quick recap- Iowa #1 in West, Illinois finishes 1 win ahead of Purdue for the 6th spot

Well, i guess that ends that discussion....LOL

How? As has been established for years, the NCAA and Pearl's college buddy found absolutely nothing regarding the Pearl allegations, found a few minor violations that were self-reported and slapped the hilariously outrageous lack of institutional control on U of I at the 11th hour to save face. Bruce Pearl was and still is a slime ball.

You mean this season!!!! Is that Illinois all the way down there at the bottom sitting in the double digits in the standings
Big Ten basketball standing this season-
#3 Iowa 7-0 -- 1.000 16-3 .842 W9
#19 Indiana 7-1 .5 .875 17-4 .810 L1
#8 Maryland 6-2 1.5 .750 17-3 .850 L1
Michigan 6-2 1.5 .750 16-5 .762 W3
#21 Purdue 5-3 2.5 .625 17-4 .810 L1
Ohio State 5-3 2.5 .625 13-8 .619 W1
Nebraska 4-4 3.5 .500 12-9 .571 L1
#12 Michigan State 4-4 3.5 .500 17-4 .810 W1
Wisconsin 4-4 3.5 .500 12-9 .571 W3
Northwestern 3-5 4.5 .375 15-6 .714 L3
Illinois 2-5 5 .286 10-10 .500 W1
Penn State 2-6 5.5 .250 11-10 .524 L2
Minnesota 0-8 7.5 .000 6-14 .300 L9
Rutgers 0-8 7.5 .000 6-15 .286 L8

Could post football standings but a quick recap- Iowa #1 in West, Illinois finishes 1 win ahead of Purdue for the 6th spot

What are you talking about? Anyone can see our sports are at an historic low and much worse than Iowa's. I said Illinois is an HISTORICALLY better basketball program, which is objectively true by every stat you could use.

How? As has been established for years, the NCAA and Pearl's college buddy found absolutely nothing regarding the Pearl allegations, found a few minor violations that were self-reported and slapped the hilariously outrageous lack of institutional control on U of I at the 11th hour to save face. Bruce Pearl was and still is a slime ball.

Now why didn't you bring that up in the first place? It wasn't just Pearl! He had a college buddy and everyone knows that means the college buddy is a crook! And not just him, the whole NCAA!!!

There you go, right to plan B. Everyone does it.

You guys were sooooooooooo persecuted. :rolleyes:

So, how did those players get those cars?

It was sure fun to watch the mighty Orange Crush storm the home court in what turned out to be a loss to Penn State!

Illini fans in the south end of the state are generally not too bad. They were amazingly easy on me during the disaster otherwise known as Todd Lickliter. It's the Chicago cesspool that has ruined this state on many levels. The fans who make fun of Iowa being a "farm country" have obviously never been to Champaign - Urbana.

I'd like to see John Groce given a lifetime contract.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
What are you talking about? Anyone can see our sports are at an historic low and much worse than Iowa's. I said Illinois is an HISTORICALLY better basketball program, which is objectively true by every stat you could use.
Historically speaking in football the program managed to win 10 games a season a whopping 3 times (last done in 2001) and Iowa has a better overall winning percentage and won almost 100 more games historically.
In basketball has the Illini has the edge, but that is become less and less each year
None the less who cares about the past (damn we are surrounded by historians on our east and west borders) Iowa football, basketball, and wrestling combined have not lost a big ten regular season game in almost 400 days....what has it been for the Illini about 4 hours?

Last thing I'll say (and another poster has already given this warning) is that you should enjoy your time in the sun and never forget that you can fall fast. Illinois is the ninth winningest program (percentage wise) in the nation since the Tournament expanded, and from 1998-2012, we went 19-7 vs. you guys, including absolute dominance in Champaign ... since then, we're 1-3 vs. Iowa, including losing to Iowa in Champaign (which we'll likely do again this year) for the first time in the 21st Century. The tables can quickly turn.

You have a VERY impressive team this year, so enjoy it. However, as Illini fans know all too well, gloating can come back to make you look pretty dumb. No one, including Iowa fans, would have thought Illinois' program would become this bad 10 years ago; it can happen to anyone.

Take care.

I dislike illanoy; that's a given.
In their current sorry state, though, it's hard to muster much more than that.
I'll agree as well with the sentiment that the longer they retain groce, the better it is for the Hawks.

Last thing I'll say (and another poster has already given this warning) is that you should enjoy your time in the sun and never forget that you can fall fast. Illinois is the ninth winningest program (percentage wise) in the nation since the Tournament expanded, and from 1998-2012, we went 19-7 vs. you guys, including absolute dominance in Champaign ... since then, we're 1-3 vs. Iowa, including losing to Iowa in Champaign (which we'll likely do again this year) for the first time in the 21st Century. The tables can quickly turn.

You have a VERY impressive team this year, so enjoy it. However, as Illini fans know all too well, gloating can come back to make you look pretty dumb. No one, including Iowa fans, would have thought Illinois' program would become this bad 10 years ago; it can happen to anyone.

Take care.
Curious Chitown, are you old enough to really know about the Lou Doo era, and how Jimmy Collins operated? Clearly, Bruce Pearl is no upstanding person, but Collins seems to have been one of the biggest cheaters in the history of the Big Ten. I don't think Groce is a cheater, but he seems to be little more than a whiner with very little coaching ability.

The worse thing about the Bruce Pearl-Deon Thomas incident was that Iowa was pretty much banned from recruiting Chicago HS basketball players. Collins along with Chicago HS coaches kept the ban in place pretty much throughout Tom Davis's tenure at Iowa. Also no one ever explained how Thomas could afford the new vehicle he drove around campus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT