ADVERTISEMENT

Do you do garage sales?

We had some old neighbors that passed recently. The family took out 6 or 7 full sized tow behind dumpsters, and still ended up having an estate sale. The place was still loaded with crap in every single room, out back, and the garage was packed. Which explained why the new Mercedes cars were parked in the driveway and not the garage.

When my dad passed away a few years ago, his basement was full of tools and miscellaneous crap. I knew sold individually the tools were probably worth at least $1,000. But that would have been a hassle and still left me needing to clean out the rest of the crap. So we advertised $100 takes everything, but you MUST take everything. Total time investment about an hour.

We've never had a garage sale at our house, but my wifes friend lives in an upscale neighborhood and we take a few things to hers every year. Usually just large toys that were $200-$500 dollars and we wanna see if they can sell. If they don't they go to Goodwill right after. The last two years everything has sold.

After we drop off the stuff we always hit up the neighbors sale because she has a boy a year older than ours. She literally has tables of clothes and a lot of stuff still has tags on it (they have dumb money and buy all designer stuff for their kids). Last year I bought 4 pairs of kids Jordan's that didn't even look worn and still in box for $40.

PSA- North Liberty City Wide Garage Sales are June 13-15. I suggest hitting the neighborhoods north of SouthSlope off of F-28 or east of Penn Meadows park off of Penn St. High end homes full of quality stuff for cheap. Probably the same if the neighborhoods north of 965 on your way to Bobbers.

We had a community-wide garage sale this weekend. My neighbors do this every year and drag out a ton of stuff - nothing cool, mostly just knickknacks and used housewares she collects on her picking travels.

Day one ends they drag it inside and out again on day two. Later in the day everything is marked down and what doesn’t sell goes back into the garage for the next yard sale.

I guess this is entertainment for some folks?
Is "garage sales" a euphemism for "OP dads"? If so, then yes.

About ten years ago we were vacationing in San Diego and we
went on a bus tour of Hollywood. The tour guide stopped in
front of the home of Carol Burnett. He told us that she had
a garage sale about 3 weeks ago and made $70,000 dollars.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT