ADVERTISEMENT

Do you ever become accustomed to…

…the constant saturation of manure smell in the air?
Actually growing up working on my aunt and uncles farm I now miss those smells living in a more urban area.
Although they had a dairy farm at the time. Now they have a lot more beef cattle and the smell is not at all the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleATL
I live here and I haven't smelled manure in months...and that's when I'm driving through the sticks only.

I worked at a client in Amish country between Reading and Lancaster, PA. The manure smell was really bad in the morning when there was no breeze. I never really got used to it.

I smell human manure walking the streets of (insert large US city) more often than pig manure while driving across the countryside of Iowa, whenever I return for a visit.

I’d rather smell the pig manure by a long shot, but it’s not pleasant and not something I could get used to.

I smell human manure walking the streets of (insert large US city) more often than pig manure while driving across the countryside of Iowa, whenever I return for a visit.

I’d rather smell the pig manure by a long shot, but it’s not pleasant and not something I could get used to.

Ray Romano No GIF by One Day At A Time

Reactions: ryan2144 and win4jj
I take it you’ve never visited a large city? Between the sewer gasses and bum dumps, there is really no comparison.
Have you visited a large city? I have. A lot. I am not saying they don't have a smell here or there, but nothing like getting punched in the nose by manure for miles.

Reactions: win4jj and blhawk
Actually growing up working on my aunt and uncles farm I now miss those smells living in a more urban area.
Although they had a dairy farm at the time. Now they have a lot more beef cattle and the smell is not at all the same.
Me too. Growing up Dad raised cattle so the smell always reminds me of home and being a kid.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
My wife (no pic), a KC girl, always complains about it whenever we go back to NW Iowa. I always laugh and tell her "babe, that's the smell of money!" She immediately responds and says, "nope, that's the smell of shit!".

I love it.
Totally random question, but did anything more ever come out about those guys who died at the Chiefs watch party? I know there was fentanyl involved but wasn't sure if the survivor had anything happen to him legally...

Reactions: jasonrann
Have you visited a large city? I have. A lot. I am not saying they don't have a smell here or there, but nothing like getting punched in the nose by manure for miles.
Of course. I spend 200+ days/yr in some of the largest US cities and even some in Canada.

When I fly into Des Moines and drive the 2 hours to my folks place in NE Iowa I might have a 50% chance of smelling pig shit and a 20% chance of smelling strong pig shit in any given two-way trip.

If I take a walk for 10 blocks (maybe 10-15 mins?) downtown in any given large city I probably have similar odds smelling human shit at some point. Sometimes it’s a load a bum has dropped on the sidewalk, other times it’s sewer gasses. Some areas of some cities are worse than others, just as some routes through Iowa are worse than others.

While pig shit is unpleasant, human shit is vomit inducing and much worse, in my opinion.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Reminds me of my mom (RIP). She grew up on a farm, rural north central Iowa, almost all her siblings farmed, etc.

Every damn time we'd go on a car trip with her, there'd always be a point in the trip when certain farm smells would permeate into the car.

My mom would then inform us kids what form of farm animal that manure smell would be.

Totally random question, but did anything more ever come out about those guys who died at the Chiefs watch party? I know there was fentanyl involved but wasn't sure if the survivor had anything happen to him legally...
Have not heard a thing recently. A gal (no pic) in my department knows the guy that lived, used to party with him. I'll ask her if she has heard anything.

I worked at a client in Amish country between Reading and Lancaster, PA. The manure smell was really bad in the morning when there was no breeze. I never really got used to it.
Higher humidity in the AM really brings it out.
They spread last week across from us. Ewww.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT