ADVERTISEMENT

Do you give your dog heartworm pills?

Never have and got roasted on here for it the last time the question was asked. Basically my reasoning is that they are inside dogs and while they get outside to run it is limited to when we are home. Plus there have millions of dogs before my two that were farm/outside dogs that stayed alive well before any heart worm medication was available.

I do and the cost isn't that great and my dog is worth more to me than anyone outside my household. Dog is love dog is life.

Reactions: jscott78
Heartworm medicine is like $100/year. If a dog lives to be 3-5 years old depending upon the breed it's cheaper to skip the medicine and just buy a new dog in the unlikely event it gets worms.

But I treat a pet like a pair of shoes or jeans and not a child so I guess take that into consideration.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
Here is the real question, do you Pay absurd amounts for dental cleaning?

Never have and got roasted on here for it the last time the question was asked. Basically my reasoning is that they are inside dogs and while they get outside to run it is limited to when we are home. Plus there have millions of dogs before my two that were farm/outside dogs that stayed alive well before any heart worm medication was available.

Fred, here's a good article about natural prevention. By the way, my FB page is basically a report of lost dogs. Those are the owners that should be roasted.

http://www.thewholedog.org/heartworm.html

I do. Yes, odds are low that he'll get it (or anything else) but it's worth it to me for less than $100/yr (flea and tick med included, always a rebate).

Heartworm medicine is like $100/year. If a dog lives to be 3-5 years old depending upon the breed it's cheaper to skip the medicine and just buy a new dog in the unlikely event it gets worms.

But I treat a pet like a pair of shoes or jeans and not a child so I guess take that into consideration.

I am a huge dog lover, but I'm still LMAO on this post. Well done. :p

I do and the cost isn't that great and my dog is worth more to me than anyone outside my household. Dog is love dog is life.

My big guy came down with the lyme disease in a milder form and the vet said it was borderline on whether or not to treat with antibiotic and I went ahead and gladly paid the 65 bucks. Maybe a vet scam but I took no chances.

My big guy came down with the lyme disease in a milder form and the vet said it was borderline on whether or not to treat with antibiotic and I went ahead and gladly paid the 65 bucks. Maybe a vet scam but I took no chances.

When mine got exposed to it, the meds were $150, and that was 4 years ago. You got a deal. or I got scammed harder.

We give it to our dogs and the risk of heart worms is lower here than even in Iowa. Heart works are expensive to treat and the treatment is very difficult on the dog. This is definitely an ounce of prevention is worth more then the pound of cure type argument.

I give them heartworm pills I can afford it and don't do everything on the cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT