ADVERTISEMENT

Do you have any insomnia?

Apr 30, 2012
Mine has gotten gradually worse over the years and is now bordering on crippling. It started about 10 years ago when a close friend got sick and passed away. I’ve never had a problem getting to sleep, but I’ll wake up around 3 and know within seconds the rest of my night is f’ed. It’s like my brain immediately goes into fifth gear thinking about every negative outcome you can name - money, family health, how crappy the next day is because I’m not currently sleeping, etc. I’ve tried all the tricks - relaxation exercises, white noise, boring wiki articles, documentaries on low volume, all that. It’s like I’m an addict whose tolerance just keeps building - I scoff at what used to knock me out.

But hey, if I fall asleep in a few minutes I’ll still get two more good hours, right…right?

*This post inspired by the hearing loss thread

Mine has gotten gradually worse over the years and is now bordering on crippling. It started about 10 years ago when a close friend got sick and passed away. I’ve never had a problem getting to sleep, but I’ll wake up around 3 and know within seconds the rest of my night is f’ed. It’s like my brain immediately goes into fifth gear thinking about every negative outcome you can name - money, family health, how crappy the next day is because I’m not currently sleeping, etc. I’ve tried all the tricks - relaxation exercises, white noise, boring wiki articles, documentaries on low volume, all that. It’s like I’m an addict whose tolerance just keeps building - I scoff at what used to knock me out.

But hey, if I fall asleep in a few minutes I’ll still get two more good hours, right…right?

*This post inspired by the hearing loss thread

Brain won't shutoff once I wake up. I'll start thinking about work, life, etc and then it's all over. If I do get back to sleep, it's that weird layer between being awake and asleep. I remember being a kid, looking at the clock, realizing I had more time to sleep, and being back asleep in what felt like seconds.

We use white, brown, pink, etc noise but they only help while I'm falling asleep initially and rarely if I'm trying to get back to sleep. I've tried the trick soldiers use to fall asleep in the foxhole. All to no avail.

If you don't already, ask you Dr about Alprazolam. Generic Xanax. Helps shut my brain off, but can make you groggy the next day so I don't use them for that reason very often. If you prefer OTC, try Melatonin.

I remember being a kid, looking at the clock, realizing I had more time to sleep, and being back asleep in what felt like seconds.
Brain won't shutoff once I wake up. I'll start thinking about work, life, etc and then it's all over. If I do get back to sleep, it's that weird layer between being awake and asleep. I remember being a kid, looking at the clock, realizing I had more time to sleep, and being back asleep in what felt like seconds.

We use white, brown, pink, etc noise but they only help while I'm falling asleep initially and rarely if I'm trying to get back to sleep. I've tried the trick soldiers use to fall asleep in the foxhole. All to no avail.

If you don't already, ask you Dr about Alprazolam. Generic Xanax. Helps shut my brain off, but can make you groggy the next day so I don't use them for that reason very often. If you prefer OTC, try Melatonin.
My wife is an incredible sleeper. Can wake up at any hour, soothe a crying child, come back to bed and be asleep in 30 seconds. Hard not to be a tad resentful.

Maybe the most f’ed up part of mine is…say I have the alarm set for 6. I’ll try everything to fall asleep from say 2:30-5:55. Then I’ll nod off for 5 minutes and actually hit the snooze and sleep in between a couple times. It’s like my brain is taunting me.

That didn’t happen tonight though. Just plain old up since 2:45 kind. Guess I may as well get up and go into work early.

Have considered melatonin but knowing my personality it would become a nightly crutch right away. I’d get addicted to actual real deep sleep and need it every night.

That didn’t happen tonight though. Just plain old up since 2:45 kind.

Those are the nights Melatonin helps.

If it's like 3:45 or 4AM I just usually just get up. If it's 5 or 6, I call that a good night of sleep. If it's 7AM, check my pulse.

I work from home mostly so I can get started if I want.

considered melatonin but knowing my personality it would become a nightly crutch right away. I’d get addicted to actual real deep sleep and need it every night

Like everything the more you use it, the less effective it becomes and the more you need. We like the fast dissolve kind. They come in 2.5mg, 5, and 10.

Start with a 2.5 for some of those mornings and see how it affects you. It's not going to zonk you out but will shut your brain off and allow you to probably get back to sleep. It's worth a shot in my opinion.

With that said I'm going to go back and lay in my bed and wait to get up for the day 🤣

I sleep like a rock star until about 5am. Then I can’t sleep anymore. It’s from years and years of getting up early. I WANT to sleep more, just can’t. Even on weekends if I’m up till midnight, 5-6am, I’m up. It sucks.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Nope. When I plug in the phone and turn out the light I’m rarely awake for 20 more seconds. And 99% of nights I’m out cold until my alarm goes off.

I sleep like a rock star until about 5am. Then I can’t sleep anymore. It’s from years and years of getting up early. I WANT to sleep more, just can’t. Even on weekends if I’m up till midnight, 5-6am, I’m up. It sucks.
I go to bed around midnight or so and the alarm goes off at 5:30, but most days I'm wide awake already. Whether I go to bed at 9:00 p.m. or 2:00 a.m. I'm going to be waking up early and I'll be wide awake.

The nice thing is I'm asleep within a minute or two of going to bed.

On the rare occasion I do get 8 hours of sleep I'm groggy and feel like crap all day.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
quote-i-haven-t-slept-for-ten-days-because-that-would-be-too-long-mitch-hedberg-12-82-90.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT