ADVERTISEMENT

Do you own a firearm? Poll

Do you own a firearm?

• Total voters
Used to have a 20 gauge shotgun for pheasant and quail hunting. In high school and college I would go a few times per season but after that it was mostly opening day and maybe one other. I got out of it and never went anymore and gave it to a friend who had a younger son to start to hunt with.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I own a shotgun that I’ve had since 14. It spends 99% percent of its time in the closet disassembled.

I like guns, well shooting them. However I still don’t feel the need or desire to purchase any type of handgun.

Several.

Off the top of my head.

3 hand guns: .22, .380, .40.
4 shotguns: 12 gauge for birds, youth 20 gauge, trap gun, 12 gauge slug gun for deer.
1 muzzleloader
6 rifles: AR-15, the rest .22’s. 1 vintage Winchester, 1 youth, 1 semi auto Ruger, and two beautiful Henry Golden Boys that I bought for my sons.

I think that’s it. Could be another that I’m forgetting.

Simple poll.

I don't. Somehow I've been able to navigate life for 57 years without one. Been thinking about getting one recently.
Similar. 53 years without one. My Dad has a small arsenal that he keeps in 2 safes. His love for them was not passed down.

No pic wife has recently suggested we get one. Shelby, IA, town of 700 and home to a serial rapist and a murder/suicide. No police in town. We get an occasional Shelby county sheriff or deputy through town.

Several.

Off the top of my head.

3 hand guns: .22, .380, .40.
4 shotguns: 12 gauge for birds, youth 20 gauge, trap gun, 12 gauge slug gun for deer.
1 muzzleloader
6 rifles: AR-15, the rest .22’s. 1 vintage Winchester, 1 youth, 1 semi auto Ruger, and two beautiful Henry Golden Boys that I bought for my sons.

I think that’s it. Could be another that I’m forgetting.

I've wanted a muzzleloader for a while, but putting a scope on one feels like cheating. Just feels wrong. CO has a designated muzzleloader season for elk

Similar. 53 years without one. My Dad has a small arsenal that he keeps in 2 safes. His love for them was not passed down.

No pic wife has recently suggested we get one. Shelby, IA, town of 700 and home to a serial rapist and a murder/suicide. No police in town. We get an occasional Shelby county sheriff or deputy through town.
My German wife who has been pretty staunchly anti-gun, still is, has actually asked me if we should buy one.

Personally, my main point of concern is I have grandkids that spend a lot of time at my house. Puts a damper on me wanting to buy one. Pretty much puts a hand gun as a no go for me.

From my military experience I'd actually feel more comfortable with an AR-15 type firearm since that's what I had yearly qualification experience with and they have a safety and it would be more difficult for a child to handle. I'd get a locked gun case for it but I still don't feel a real need for one. But like I said, I've actually considered it which is a change for me.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Had a 12 gauge for hunting a few years after college. Didn’t really enjoy it. I did enjoy shooting clay pigeons.

My dad was going to take it to police station to dispose but a relative took it that was a hunter.

two big one's!
excited leonardo dicaprio GIF

I own one handgun kept in an easy (to me) accessible small gun safe. I’d hate to be in a situation where I wanted the protection and didn’t have it.

If I really enjoyed shooting I’d have no problem owning more but other than once every couple years at a range I just don’t really like shooting it. I don’t dislike it but it’s not something I crave to do.

I’d also own a lot of hunting guns if I liked to hunt but I never got in to hunting. I don’t have the time for it and I have other expensive hobbies and don’t need another.

I have 5 shotguns, a couple .22 rifles and one single shot 410......but of all those, I have only bought two (slug gun for deer hunting and a nice bird gun for pheasant hunting). All the others I have inherited from relatives, most are pretty old.

Do not own a handgun, have never shot one and have no desire to own one. (same can be said for any auto or semi-auto assault rifle or anything like that). Not against them, when handled and stored correctly, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
My German wife who has been pretty staunchly anti-gun, still is, has actually asked me if we should buy one.

Personally, my main point of concern is I have grandkids that spend a lot of time at my house. Puts a damper on me wanting to buy one. Pretty much puts a hand gun as a no go for me.

From my military experience I'd actually feel more comfortable with an AR-15 type firearm since that's what I had yearly qualification experience with and they have a safety and it would be more difficult for a child to handle. I'd get a locked gun case for it but I still don't feel a real need for one. But like I said, I've actually considered it which is a change for me.

They are easy to break down too. You could have it in a locked case and partially disassembled and toss it back together in seconds because you know what you are doing. Sort of another layer of safety.

I've wanted a muzzleloader for a while, but putting a scope on one feels like cheating. Just feels wrong. CO has a designated muzzleloader season for elk
If you wanted to seriously go after elf with a muzzle loader you would end up wanting an inline anyway and it would just look and feel like a single shot rifle.

I have a .50 cal, really nice, cap and ball muzzle loader I've owned for probably 30 years now. It was my 2nd gun, I haven't shot it in like 25. It's dirty as shit, slow, and cleaning it smells like rotten eggs. It's beautiful and I tell myself I would love to shoot it every time I see it in the safe, then I start to think about caps and balls and powder flask and patches and starter rods and primers and remember that it takes 20 minutes to clean the damn thing every 4 shots.

If you wanted to seriously go after elf with a muzzle loader you would end up wanting an inline anyway and it would just look and feel like a single shot rifle.

I have a .50 cal, really nice, cap and ball muzzle loader I've owned for probably 30 years now. It was my 2nd gun, I haven't shot it in like 25. It's dirty as shit, slow, and cleaning it smells like rotten eggs. It's beautiful and I tell myself I would love to shoot it every time I see it in the safe, then I start to think about caps and balls and powder flask and patches and starter rods and primers and remember that it takes 20 minutes to clean the damn thing every 4 shots.
Holy crap, the Rs want to ruin Christmas now? I shouldn't be surprised.

For the record, I have zero interest in hunting elfs, espically around Christmas time.

Totally get they are a PITA which is part of why I haven't purchased one. But in CO, they get an earlier season that standard rifle AND have less restrictions. But my days of hunting in CO are numbered since we moved away so not basing my firearms based on that. But, they do have a tendency to have more artistry in the shape, just look like art pieces. And are pretty accurate these days.

Thats just a good looking firearm.

r2020_798x266.jpg

They are easy to break down too. You could have it in a locked case and partially disassembled and toss it back together in seconds because you know what you are doing. Sort of another layer of safety.
That's what I was thinking. If I bought a hand gun I think it'd drive my anxiety level up with the grandkids.

Like you said...I'm extremely comfortable with an AR-15 style weapon and I disassembled, assembled, cleaned and qualified on them annually.

It's virtually the same as the M-16/M-4's I'm familiar with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT