ADVERTISEMENT

Do you see a pattern?

TheOven

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2003
Kyle McCann over Brad Banks. Jake Christensen over Ricky Stanzi. Jake Ruddock over C.J Bethard. It takes this administration way too long to make a change when it's obvious to all. This situation has been the longest and most brutal. I just don't get how you could be so off on talent selection after two years of product. Baffled.

The backup qbs got to be thinking, if I can't beat out Petras and play, I will never play here until he graduates or the players /fans take him out

9b51c9fa-167e-40c1-8aed-45175a8e1d72_text.gif

A lot of the problem with Petras is he simply sucks. Teams put everyone in the box because our receivers and Petras are brutal and have no hope of beating anyone outside of maybe a lucky play here and there. As long as he is qb our line has no hope of blocking everyone in the box, and our running game will suck too.

Alot of the problem with Petras is the OL. I have no idea why they are so bad but something has to change. It's been going on since the present OL coach was hired.
I know it’s not a popular take you make Water Tower but I agree. Until this OL is fixed (if it can be) it won’t matter the QB. Nick DeJong is a “good story” as a walk-on. It has no business on a D1 offensive line. The fact we had 3 guys out there who really had never played before.. that can’t happen especially at Iowa

I know it’s not a popular take you make Water Tower but I agree. Until this OL is fixed (if it can be) it won’t matter the QB. Nick DeJong is a “good story” as a walk-on. It has no business on a D1 offensive line. The fact we had 3 guys out there who really had never played before.. that can’t happen especially at Iowa
I think much of the line issues started with Jones. He's a great story, beast in the weight room, wearing TL's number and all that. The chances that KF just plucked another DL and he was going to come right in and be great were slim. He already said he's struggled with shotgun snaps. As someone pointed out in another thread the line didn't seem to be in sink on the snap. Thats on him. Also he has to make all the line matchup calls, and that a ton on a new player in his first start at that critical position. Several times the SD lineman got through his gap before he could recover from the snap and respond. Hopefully will see solid improvement after he gets to see game film from week one, but he's got some work to do.

Unfortunately, I doubt it.
This, there is a reason why those previous scenarios posted show a reoccurring problem. KF has always been loyal to a fault and more so at QB position. No other D1 coach would have rode SP last year in B10 champ game, bowl game and yesterday's dismal outing. It's a disservice to the team, backup qb's, etc. He's so concerned for SP that he loses sight of all the backup qb's that he recruited that also deserve a shot. I don't know why any quality QB or receiver would ever consider Iowa. It's a graveyard for those positions.

For those saying it's not SP fault it's the Olines. He should after 3 to 4 years of subpar line play. Adjusted for it and if he can't then it's his problem.
We weren't going to be better on the line after losing our best center.

Reactions: nelly02
Alot of the problem with Petras is the OL. I have no idea why they are so bad but something has to change. It's been going on since the present OL coach was hired.
Even if Barnett sucks as an OL coach the Ferentz's should be stepping in and making adjustments. Isn't that been their forte?

Reactions: jhawk23 and IAGuy
This, there is a reason why those previous scenarios posted show a reoccurring problem. KF has always been loyal to a fault and more so at QB position. No other D1 coach would have rode SP last year in B10 champ game, bowl game and yesterday's dismal outing. It's a disservice to the team, backup qb's, etc. He's so concerned for SP that he loses sight of all the backup qb's that he recruited that also deserve a shot. I don't know why any quality QB or receiver would ever consider Iowa. It's a graveyard for those positions.
As painful as it is to say, I think this is right on. It obviously shows in our wide receiver recruiting, but somehow we still get QB's with at least 3 stars. Coming in, based on stars and their film, they look great. Once they get in the system.........not so much. It truly baffles me.

The OL was bad. But EVERY opposing D can overwhelm them with 7 or 8 guys because they know:
a) exactly where Spence will be on every play, and
b) he will be inaccurate the majority of the time when he actually does manage to get the ball off.

He individually puts absolutely ZERO pressure on--and requires absolutely ZERO pre-game preparation by--the opposing defense. He plays what many consider to be the single most important position in all of team sports, and he is literally a complete non-factor.

The problem goes even deeper. Because we (and when I say "we" I mean Kirk) are so reluctant to play the backup, opposing teams don't have to gameplan for the backup. Defenses only have to prepare for one guy. And throwing Goodson in the wildcat isn't exactly mixing it up. We are seeing more and more teams rotate QBs. In fact, it's rare that teams stay with the same guy for an entire game, let alone multiple seasons, but that's exactly what we do.

Reactions: iowaflash
Kirk said he feels the O line is better right now than how they ended last year lol.. ouch

Didn't Petras work with a personal QB coach 2 summers ago? I thought the Manning Academy would have given him some points to adjust his game.
Still early yet.....

For those saying it's not SP fault it's the Olines. He should after 3 to 4 years of subpar line play. Adjusted for it and if he can't then it's his problem.
We weren't going to be better on the line after losing our best center.
I agree. Even with subpar line play still have to make the throws. (Side note how are we still trotting out Dejong. I’m sorry he’s not a D1 quality starter.). Not always going to have a clean pocket and need to make throws with pressure in your face especially if you aren’t mobile. Petras one of his many issues is you rarely if ever see him make a play out of the pocket when it collapses and he has to role out. Stanley for not being a runner could do this and not fold like a deck of cards once he’s touched and actually shed a tackler here and there. As mentioned so many times with pressure he panics and even worse he goes into a turtle shell instead of throwing it away.

one of many plays drove me nuts. 4th qtr 3rd and 5 he takes off. 3-4 yds from sticks and he slides like a sally. Put your head down against the DB. Maybe you get it or get it where we go for it on 4th. Actually do something to juice up the offense. But nope he bails out like a B.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
The OL was bad. But EVERY opposing D can overwhelm them with 7 or 8 guys because they know:
b) he will be inaccurate the majority of the time when he actually does manage to get the ball off.

He individually puts absolutely ZERO pressure on--and requires absolutely ZERO pre-game preparation by--the opposing defense. He plays what many consider to be the single most important position in all of team sports, and he is literally a complete non-factor.
bump. required reading. I would only add the Head coach and OC in for lack of creativity.

You only say this because it's true.

Most Football Coaches are paranoid and risk averse. But you don't have to be playing Iowa with Spencer Petras as the QB. The likelihood of him making you pay is damn near zero. They know it, you know it, I know it.

Groundhogs Day Football.

The opposition knows they can put 9-10 guys within 10 yards of the LOS because

1) Iowa won’t call the deep throw. And even if they did…
A) the receivers can’t get separation
B) the OL and RBs cannot give the QB enough time
C) the QB is a statue that locks on to one guy.
D) and by chance he gets the throw off, it will sail over everyones head or into the turf.

IMHO Iowas offensive problems are rooted in the complete lack of a vertical passing game. There are other complimentary problems (poor OL play , conservative and predictable play calling, immobile QB) but keeping the D honest is the certainly one of them

We need this pinned to the top of the board

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT