ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think this is appropriate for high school math books?

Do you think the racism bar graph is appropriate for middle school math class?

• Yes. It’s fine. I would also be fine with a graph that showed murders by race.

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Yes. THAT graph is ok. But if they showed “homicides by race” I’d be against it.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • No. That’s not OK. Neither graph is appropriate..

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • No. The graphs are actually true. But my issue is they have nothing to do with the subject at all.

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters
That is the nature of statistics, right? Does the graph SHOW what is being taught...or does it just make a salient “political statement”? I’m betting on the former. Like the messenger....don’t kill it.
There are lots of ways to show statistical models including how statistics can be manipulated. Which would be the most valuable thing to cross teach high school kids beyond the math involved. Choosing a political standard that people will not feel they can challenge or worse that lines up with the political leanings of teachers that will teach it as facts is wrong. That is the point. They don't need to choose those topics because those topics will not illustrate any sort or point other than the presentation of material that will be taken in as fact.

That is a really dangerous way to teach statistics. Go believe what you are being shown vs what actual statisticians do which is show me the proof of your claims not just the pretty graph. Graphs are notoriously easy to manipulate. Even more so than survey work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT