ADVERTISEMENT

Do You Tip Your Uber Driver?

Yes, as long as they're not a ****-up. I had one once that I didn't tip because he tried to get cute and turned off of Lakeshore Drive in Chicago into the lakeshore beach parking and got lost in the one ways in there. I ended up just getting out and walking to Wrigley from there.

Reactions: Moral and Cougar63
Yup. And I tip the most when they only confirm where I'm going and then don't speak the rest of the trip. Or talk very little. There's nothing worse than an Uber driver that asks you about everything currently going on in your life or tells you about everything going on in theirs.

Yes. At least 1 dollar, 5 dollars if they stop at the gas station to let me get beer... I don't drink and drive.

I should have gotten a blowie for what the price was on a ride I took last week when my car was in the shop. Two miles, $16 plus another $3 for a tip.

I generally tip $3-5, maybe a little more if it’s a long ride.

In general I think our tipping culture is out of control but tipping for an Uber doesn’t piss me off as much as the concession stands at a baseball game when they turn the screen around for a tip after grabbing me a hot dog 😂

In the US, almost always. In Europe, rarely. Completely different attitudes, but in Europe their working city seems to rarely be in their home country. Like Florida, but much further away.

Yup. And I tip the most when they only confirm where I'm going and then don't speak the rest of the trip. Or talk very little. There's nothing worse than an Uber driver that asks you about everything currently going on in your life or tells you about everything going on in theirs.
They are right there with the friend that has to chit chat with the driver about anything and everything and tries to interject you into the conversation. STFU

I have done Uber maybe 5 teams in my life and it was always with friends being responsible. Knowing our crew, they probably got over-tipped.

But, I have no knowledge what the rates are for Uber these days. I mean if they are going to gauge me and pay their employees shit.....I'll go cab.

But it might be once every 3 years that I would ever use either service.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Pre-Uber I always tipped cabbies. I can’t imagine people not wanting to tip a driver.

No doubt, tipping cabbies has always been the custom as far as I'm aware. However part of the original "ride share" draw was that the price you were quoted was what you paid. No expectation to tip, in fact the ability didn't even exist in the app.

Then the in-app ability was added to use if you wish but seemingly not customary. And then fast forward a bit again and we have a better idea of how much of the fare that Uber keeps and you're pretty much an asshole if you don't leave at least a few bucks and sometimes much more.

Reactions: McLovin32
My son drove for Uber (and Lyft) for awhile.

Got out of that game because of the insufferable drunks.
This just made me think - what do the robo taxis do when someone pukes in the car? Do they have sensors so they know this has happened? Or do they just have to wait until the next customer opens the door and discovers the car is disgusting?

On a side note, my nephew just got back from Phoenix and he said he took Waymos the whole time he was there. He said they were great, and much cheaper than Uber.

This just made me think - what do the robo taxis do when someone pukes in the car? Do they have sensors so they know this has happened? Or do they just have to wait until the next customer opens the door and discovers the car is disgusting?

On a side note, my nephew just got back from Phoenix and he said he took Waymos the whole time he was there. He said they were great, and much cheaper than Uber.
Waymos are taking over phoenix.

I always tip something, but I’ve had some really bad rides lately. Absolute junk vehicles that were filthy inside. When that happens I leave the app minimum. I can empathize with someone who can’t afford a newer vehicle, but it doesn’t take anything more than effort to vacuum and wipe down an interior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT