ADVERTISEMENT

Do you want your change back?

Feb 9, 2013
Increasingly I’m being asked “Do you want your change?” at the drive-thru. More often, the cashier is just keeping it and handing back the bills.

I don’t care if it’s a nickel or some pennies, but seems a bit presumptuous to not return 25 cents or more. I get the restaurants’ COVID concerns, but still.

Anyone else notice this?

I pay cash for everything except online transactions. Have not had this experience.

Increasingly I’m being asked “Do you want your change?” at the drive-thru. More often, the cashier is just keeping it and handing back the bills.

I don’t care if it’s a nickel or some pennies, but seems a bit presumptuous to not return 25 cents or more. I get the restaurants’ COVID concerns, but still.

Anyone else notice this?
Many servers where I've lived have boldly tried this shit for 15+ years. I recall first encountering it in run of the mill Iowa City joints. The fvcking cheek of these Naperville cvnts.

Yes, dumbfvck. You return the change and then I decide if I'd like to give you some on top of the bill.
You don't fvcking ask if I want my change back, you daft fvck. You'll get extra should I decide, and you just fvcked yourself out of it.

Last edited:
Many servers where I've lived have boldly tried this shit for 15+ years. I recall first encountering it in run of the mill Iowa City joints. The fvcking cheek on these Naperville cvnts.

Yes, dumbfvck. You return the change and then I decide if I'd like to give you some on top of the bill.
You don't fvcking ask if I want it, you daft cvnt. You'll get extra should I decide.
Jeez, do you beat your kids and kick your dogs too? LOL

No, they're not entitled fvcks from Naperville.

This is 101 basic stuff. You're typically getting 20% for baseline service. You ask if I want my money back? Go fvck yourself, sweetie.

That kind of shit can set me off too. I was just giving you shit.

But really, how many times have you been married? 😊

No, they're not entitled fvcks from Naperville.

This is 101 basic stuff. You're typically getting 20% for baseline service. You ask if I want my money back? Go fvck yourself, sweetie.
I’m all card, but let’s look at this.

If your change due is within the realm of what a reasonable expectation of tip is, I think it’s fair to ask.

I’m all card, but let’s look at this.

If your change due is within the realm of what a reasonable expectation of tip is, I think it’s fair to ask.
Fvck that. I've waited tables, washed dishes, done prep, shared tips. You do not presume nor ask whether a patron wants the balance of their bill back. That's some dumb shit. You return the remainder.

I guess we're gonna "normalize tacky." GTFO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herkmeister
Fvck that. I've waited tables, washed dishes, done prep, shared tips. You do not presume nor ask whether a patron wants the balance of their bill back. That's some dumb shit. You return the remainder.

I guess we're gonna "normalize tacky." GTFO.
He's right you know?

iu

Yes because the change goes into a jar in the garage. When we moved into a new house three years ago I took the jar to the bank to empty it before moving it had over $750 in it. Jar is currently about 50% full again. So yes I want my change back.

Many servers where I've lived have boldly tried this shit for 15+ years. I recall first encountering it in run of the mill Iowa City joints. The fvcking cheek of these Naperville cvnts.

You don't fvcking ask if I want my change back, you daft fvck. You'll get extra should I decide, and you just fvcked yourself out of it.
The sneaky server trick is to round up the change. If you pay cash and your change is $7.50, they'll bring you $8. They are assuming you're just going to leave the coins anyway. They don't want to deal with them either.
When the server rounds the change down, like you describe above, I assume they've calculated that as part of their tip.

On a related topic, I’ve noticed more and more places, especially gas stations ask if you want to round up to the next dollar and donate your money to whatever charity they are pimping. It doesn’t matter if you’re using cash or a card.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT