ADVERTISEMENT

Dodge struggles to find the right fake engine noise for the new all-electric Charger....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
While Dodge revealed its all-new, all-electric Dodge Charger Daytona earlier this week, the American performance won’t be silently sneaking onto the streets. Instead, Dodge continues to boast about the patent-pending ‘Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust’ system to ensure that their electric Charger roars with the attitude of a HEMI® V8 engine.

However, the catch is that nobody knows what it will sound like yet.

During the press reveal, Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis spilled the beans, admitting that the debate on the Charger’s sonic identity is still ongoing. “We’ve changed it 100 times,” Kuniskis confessed, shedding light on Dodge’s meticulous process to find the perfect sound for their electric powerhouse.

The Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust technology employs a series of chambers strategically placed underneath the Dodge Charger Daytona. In conjunction with woofers and mid-range speakers, these chambers generate the “exhaust” notes, which are then channeled through dual pipes akin to those found in internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. The system utilizes a combination of digital sounds and basic filtering, with an emphasis on fine-tuning the sound in the acoustic domain rather than relying solely on digital manipulation. This approach, according to the patent filing, aims to create a more authentic auditory experience for drivers.

To further enhance the illusion of a conventional muscle car experience, Dodge has incorporated “force generators” into the chassis. These devices are designed to transmit vibrations throughout the EV, intensifying in response to the driver’s inputs. The resulting tactile feedback is intended to be felt through the steering wheel and seats. Additionally, these force generators have the capability to generate their own sounds, adding another layer to the sensory experience.

While Dodge’s Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust technology may appeal to die-hard muscle car enthusiasts, it has not been without its share of criticisms. Many within the automotive community argue that this approach could potentially mislead consumers and undermine the essence of EVs, which are celebrated for their efficiency and environmental benefits. Some purists view this as an attempt to mask the true nature of electric propulsion.

1178205.jpg.png

With the two-door Charger Daytona R/T and Scat Pack to start production in the upcoming months, it will be interesting to see what the end result will sound like once these new electric muscle cars hit dealer showrooms.

Good grief. "Fake engine noise"... so freaking stupid.

Last edited:
While Dodge revealed its all-new, all-electric Dodge Charger Daytona earlier this week, the American performance won’t be silently sneaking onto the streets. Instead, Dodge continues to boast about the patent-pending ‘Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust’ system to ensure that their electric Charger roars with the attitude of a HEMI® V8 engine.

However, the catch is that nobody knows what it will sound like yet.

During the press reveal, Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis spilled the beans, admitting that the debate on the Charger’s sonic identity is still ongoing. “We’ve changed it 100 times,” Kuniskis confessed, shedding light on Dodge’s meticulous process to find the perfect sound for their electric powerhouse.

The Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust technology employs a series of chambers strategically placed underneath the Dodge Charger Daytona. In conjunction with woofers and mid-range speakers, these chambers generate the “exhaust” notes, which are then channeled through dual pipes akin to those found in internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles. The system utilizes a combination of digital sounds and basic filtering, with an emphasis on fine-tuning the sound in the acoustic domain rather than relying solely on digital manipulation. This approach, according to the patent filing, aims to create a more authentic auditory experience for drivers.

To further enhance the illusion of a conventional muscle car experience, Dodge has incorporated “force generators” into the chassis. These devices are designed to transmit vibrations throughout the EV, intensifying in response to the driver’s inputs. The resulting tactile feedback is intended to be felt through the steering wheel and seats. Additionally, these force generators have the capability to generate their own sounds, adding another layer to the sensory experience.

While Dodge’s Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust technology may appeal to die-hard muscle car enthusiasts, it has not been without its share of criticisms. Many within the automotive community argue that this approach could potentially mislead consumers and undermine the essence of EVs, which are celebrated for their efficiency and environmental benefits. Some purists view this as an attempt to mask the true nature of electric propulsion.

1178205.jpg.png

With the two-door Charger Daytona R/T and Scat Pack to start production in the upcoming months, it will be interesting to see what the end result will sound like once these new electric muscle cars hit dealer showrooms.

Good grief. "Fake engine noise"... so freaking stupid.
they have to do this to ensure their target demographic maintains their position as worst urban drivers in human history.

I'm all ears if they can come up with a way to make my Challenger louder, but I don't think it's possible

I don't care what they make it sound like - Stellantis can't seem to get anything right these days, so this no doubt will bomb like everything else they're currently making.

This tells you what they think of the intelligence of their target market.
It’s stupid but I have to imagine they got customer feedback that people don’t like the quieter engines for some reason.

Otherwise this makes zero sense to me.

I'm all ears if they can come up with a way to make my Challenger louder, but I don't think it's possible
I've rented a couple of those.

Engine noise initially sounds nice, but when you're trying to listen to podcasts or music, it drowns them out when accelerating and becomes annoying IMO. Really liked some of the user-interface of their layout, but the engine rumble got old for me in a couple days.

It’s stupid but I have to imagine they got customer feedback that people don’t like the quieter engines for some reason.

Well you’re not buying a charger because you want to be quiet, but I really don’t think Dodge is going to have to worry about this when they’re offering incentive after incentive to try and create some kind of new electric muscle car market. The car is going to fail from a sales perspective with or without the new electric noise maker

I would think those same people also enjoy their gas powered vehicles.

To me is seems more like we are taking away what you want. But we will give you this fake sound as a consolation prize.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I would think those same people also enjoy their gas powered vehicles.

To me is seems more like we are taking away what you want. But we will give you this fake sound as a consolation prize.

Make it hydrogen-powered and you can keep the ICE and the noise!!!!

Well you’re not buying a charger because you want to be quiet, but I really don’t think Dodge is going to have to worry about this when they’re offering incentive after incentive to try and create some kind of new electric muscle car market. The car is going to fail from a sales perspective with or without the new electric noise maker
I guess if it’s a good car it will do fine in the long run.

imo the hang up currently is that the technology isn’t quite up to the promise yet.

So creating noise pollution for no reason. Increasing the cost of the car and adding one more thing to it that can break in the process.

Makes sense.
The technology is pretty cool - but yeah, pretty pointless.

They spent so much time wondering how to do it that they ignored whether they should do it.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
The technology is pretty cool - but yeah, pretty pointless.

They spent so much time wondering how to do it that they ignored whether they should do it.
I do think the "should they" is based on the expectations of a lot of Charger potential buyers that it "sounds like a muscle car". Not all of them, but I think a lot of them. That if it sounds like an electric car, they won't want it because it will make them feel, somehow, less masculine.

Last edited:
There is an upside to "noisy" cars, they alert pedestrians that a vehicle is approaching. I can imagine there will be an uptick in accidents involving EVs and pedestrians as people won't hear the EV stealthily approaching and cross the street entering the path of the car.

Reactions: JMNSHO
There is an upside to "noisy" cars, they alert pedestrians that a vehicle is approaching. I can imagine there will be an uptick in accidents involving EVs and pedestrians as people won't hear the EV stealthily approaching and cross the street entering the path of the car.
That is something I hadn’t considered.

My next door neighbors got a Prius in the early 00’s or so and they nearly crushed me and my family on the sidewalk several times while they were backing out. Eventually we realized that we relied on our ears more than we should.

My next door neighbors got a Prius in the early 00’s or so and they nearly crushed me and my family on the sidewalk several times while they were backing out. Eventually we realized that we relied on our ears more than we should.
I believe some cities/states have recently required EVs to be equipped with sound-making capability.

Reactions: JMNSHO
One of the houses in my neighborhood has an EV or has a frequent friend that has one. There are a ton of kids in the neighborhood, including mine. That car comes down the street and sneaks up on you like a sneak thief. Catches me by surprise sometimes. So I get a little nervous with the kids in the neighborhood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT