ADVERTISEMENT

Does America Need More Aggressive Food Labels?

Would more aggressive food warning labels be a good idea in the US?

• Total voters
Let me guess, you work at Conagra or another type of food company that uses a lot of crappy ingredients in it's 'food' products.

The question wasn't suggesting to ban the foods, it was to put a label stating what's in the food. I'm not sure why anyone would be against that unless they are in the business of supplying crappy food to people.
oh heavens no.

but the reality is that we actually need crappy food products, whether we like it or not.

food products are labeled, but the information isn't particularly meaningful. i understood the proposal to be more warnings, not bans, and that raises a whole kettle of fish and probably doesn't advance the ball of people eating better.

Reactions: SI_NYC
The whole "processed" thing gets overblown. Sliced carrots are "processed" because they were sliced. If you told somebody you were eating processed carrots they would probably think the carrots were created in a lab using chemicals or were re-hydrated from powder. Pretty much all of the meat you buy is "processed".

I guess there are groups of people pulling their food directly out of their home gardens daily and raising their own livestock to feed their families without resorting to processed foods.

If we want warning labels, I would focus more on the ingredients and health risks similar to warning labels about tobacco.

Definitely yes but they should be more like those on tobacco products. I'm thinking this would be about right -
"Warning, the product you are about to consume contains harmful chemicals and toxins not intended for human consumption. However they do make it look shiny, last longer, and stimulate your taste buds, and that's what really matters. Enjoy a lifetime of obesity and chronic illness."
michael fassbender perfection GIF

Definitely yes but they should be more like those on tobacco products. I'm thinking this would be about right -
"Warning, the product you are about to consume contains harmful chemicals and toxins not intended for human consumption. However they do make it look shiny, last longer, and stimulate your taste buds, and that's what really matters. Enjoy a lifetime of obesity and chronic illness."
And an extra tax...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT