ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody really see anything wrong with this??

l.todd

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2004
49ers announcer suspended for saying this:

“He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,”

All he is doing is describing a physical characteristic. There doesn't appear to be any malicious intent at all. Really, it's no different than saying: : Man, that Anthony Nelson is so tall, that when he stands up and puts his hands up, you really can't see your receivers out there". It's a physical characteristic. Shocking news, but black people have darker skin than white people. Have we gotten to a point where we can't even say that black people have....black skin???

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...spended-over-dark-skin-comment-about-n1096376

“He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,”

All he is doing is describing a physical characteristic. There doesn't appear to be any malicious intent at all. Really, it's no different than saying: : Man, that Anthony Nelson is so tall, that when he stands up and puts his hands up, you really can't see your receivers out there". It's a physical characteristic. Shocking news, but black people have darker skin than white people. Have we gotten to a point where we can't even say that black people have....black skin???

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...spended-over-dark-skin-comment-about-n1096376
to answer your question, yes we have gotten to that point

there is a "thing" with darker skinned blacks and lighter skinned blacks. I saw it on "how to get away with murder", so I know it's true { yeah right, like I believe everything on that show}

I know for a fact it's a thing with darker skinned and lighter skinned Hispanics around here in central texas. I have heard them calling the darker skinned ones, "black people". I dunno if they are insulting black people or Hispanics or whites with that little quip

I know for a fact it's a thing with darker skinned and lighter skinned Hispanics around here in central texas. I have heard them calling the darker skinned ones, "black people". I dunno if they are insulting black people or Hispanics or whites with that little quip
Please find out. I want to know whether I should be offended.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
I don't know that I consider it offensive, but he could have phrased that a little more diplomatically. Remember a few years back when Dusty Baker (I think) suggested that African American players had an advantage playing in the heat?

Both are dumb comments imo.

Reactions: SSG T
It is absolutely an advantage. Just like Boise St wearing all blue uniforms on their turf, which they are not allowed to do in league games (if this still stands).

https://deadspin.com/boise-state-forbidden-from-wearing-all-blue-everything-5825196

18j4x0gi0zao7jpg.jpg

San Francisco 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman said suspended radio host Tim Ryan apologized to individual players for his comment about Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson having an advantage because of “his dark skin,” but Sherman also said he thought Ryan made a “valid” point.

“I know Tim personally and listened to the dialogue and saw it written and honestly, I wasn’t as outraged as anybody else,” Sherman said Thursday. “I understand how it could be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some.

“But if you’re saying, ‘Hey, this is a brown ball, they’re wearing dark colors and he has a brown arm,’ honestly, we were having trouble seeing the ball on the field. He’s making a play-fake and sometimes he swings his arm really fast, and you’re like ‘OK, does he have the ball on this play’ and then you look up and Ingram is running it. Technically, it was a valid point. But you can always phrase things better and not say ‘his black skin’ but I’ve had a relationship since I got here and he’s never been anything but a great guy and a professional and a guy who takes his job seriously.”

NFL WEEK 14 PICKS:Will 49ers knock Saints from No. 1 seed in NFC?

TEAM NEEDS:What each NFL team should soon be shopping for in 2020 offseason

NFL NEWSLETTER:Sign up now to get football news delivered to your inbox

The 49ers lost Sunday to the Ravens, 20-17, during a rain-soaked day that drenched everything from the field to Baltimore’s black uniforms, to the footballs used during play. Baltimore employed a heavy dose of read-option plays in which the quarterback initiates a potential handoff and reads defenders before deciding whether to keep possession and run, or hand it off. The moment when both the quarterback and running back are touching the ball is called the mesh point.

Jackson ran the ball 16 times for 101 yards with one touchdown.

aea5ad0d-957a-4e06-b05d-17d07e541c51-USATSI_13737545.jpg

“He was really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,” Ryan said on-air Monday on KNBR during a segment analyzing the game. “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”

Sherman, on Thursday, didn’t disagree.

“It was 100% an issue,” Sherman continued. “It’s the way (Ryan) presented it. That’s why it wasn’t offensive because what he was saying was a great point. It has been that way since any zone-read scheme. The mesh point is a tough point of contention. So you add a dark jersey to it and it’s going to make it even harder. But obviously you can always phrase it better.”

The team announced it was suspending Ryan one game, and indicated he will not call Sunday’s contest against the New Orleans Saints.

“It’s unfortunate that that’s what it came to, but the team did what it felt it had to do,” Sherman said. “It’s a play where he’s talking football, but he could’ve used better verbiage. I don’t think anybody in this locker room is taking it offensively or anything. He has apologized and we know his character, so hopefully this can blow over and we can move past it.”

Ryan issued an apology and expressed "regret" for his choice of words.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor..._1PEpsU9_Pm6oRg-UcFwlPy4UabWXfQyBqtAL34tbaI1k

Okay:

If you couldn't read the highly offensive paragraph above this sentence, then it proves that his comments were more factual and RACIAL than racist .

I agree with Sherman there. Probably should have phrased it differently but it's not offensive on the face of it.

It is absolutely an advantage. Just like Boise St wearing all blue uniforms on their turf, which they are not allowed to do in league games (if this still stands).

https://deadspin.com/boise-state-forbidden-from-wearing-all-blue-everything-5825196

18j4x0gi0zao7jpg.jpg

To be honest I thought it was creative of them to basically try to camouflage their players. When they did it, was there ever a rule against it?

Now to be fair, it's an unnecessary advantage to the home team and we don't need "camo" to be another home field advantage. But for the decision makers at Boise State. I love the creativity.

I would have put them in blue socks shoes and gloves as well. Too bad you can't make the numbers blue.

If he had a valid point, the Cleveland Browns would have several SuperBowl titles by now....;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT