ADVERTISEMENT

Dog can't stand up

Hoosierhawkeye

HB King
Sep 16, 2008
Couldn't get up this morning. Couldn't even walk for a treat.

Tried helping him to his feet but he takes a few steps and just falls down.

We'll see what the vet says but I feel like this is probably it. He is 14 so it's about that time.

Looks otherwise normal while laying down though. Not looking forward to telling the kids about this. My daughter just moved on from my mom's bird dying and has been worried about the dog for a while now because of his age.

She will probably be crying for a week or 2 minimum. The boys will too but I don't think they are as sensitive.

We'll see what the vet says but I feel like this is probably it. He is 14 so it's about that time.

Looks otherwise normal while laying down though. Not looking forward to telling the kids about this. My daughter just moved on from my mom's bird dying and has been worried about the dog for a while now because of his age.

She will probably be crying for a week or 2 minimum. The boys will too but I don't think they are as sensitive.
Tough time, family dogs are special and sooo loved.
God Bless you and family

Probably one of the hardest times I’ve ever been through, you gave them a great life. GOD bless.

I cried a bit about it, may do so more later.

But I can move on. I just don't want to see my kids depressed for weeks. We may end up getting a puppy soon after. My wife lost her childhood dog right before Christmas time a while ago, probably around the same age my kids are now. Her parents got a puppy for Christmas, she said that it certainly didn't take away the grief but it helped.

The puppy her parents got her for Christmas survived til just after we got married.

Sorry hooze. I am in denial that day will come for either of my doggies. As others have said, feel good you have given the dog a good and full life.

Sorry man. We just had this happen to one of our dogs a month ago but she is only 7. Turned out to be arthritis, plus a suspected partial ACL tear.

They put her on a temporary pain killer and then a longer course of two other arthritis pain drugs. Works like a charm but I have to administer an injection subcutaneously from now on. Plus monthly vet visits for another injection every month.

Expensive, but so worth it. I know your dog is very old, but it could be arthritis and that is treatable.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Time for a repost...

heybuddycomies1z0za-no-mean-killed-dont-care-hugging-my-best-friend-36-hey-buddy-comics-oft-eo

😢

For those of you that don’t mind having a cry every once in a while, find the Scott Van Pelt video of his dog Odey.

He also has a nice one on the Kinnick wave. Now that we are less than 50 days from kickoff.

Last edited:
Sorry man. We just had this happen to one of our dogs a month ago but she is only 7. Turned out to be arthritis, plus a suspected partial ACL tear.

They put her on a temporary pain killer and then a longer course of two other arthritis pain drugs. Works like a charm but I have to administer an injection subcutaneously from now on. Plus monthly vet visits for another injection every month.

Expensive, but so worth it. I know your dog is very old, but it could be arthritis and that is treatable.

We may still take him to the vet but my wife wants to give him the weekend. He is on Carporfen which has a side effect that can cause this and often if the medicine is withheld they can get better.

I personally kind of doubt it's that cause he has been on it for over a month now and just now had problems. But he isn't in any apparent pain so I suppose no harm other than the possibility that we are drawing out the grief.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
A couple of years ago on the day after Thanksgiving, our dog was in a similar situation; could barely stand, and when she did would immediately fall over. She was an older Australian Cattle Dog, past the age when they usually pass, so I figured she was done. In a way, I was happy that my older son was home from college & would get to say goodbye to her. Turns out, she'd eaten a plate of his brownies...yeah - those kind of brownies. :rolleyes: As the day wore on, she perked up a bit & found a bag of Doritos in his room, too.

I haven’t had a dog since I was a kid.

The day I buy a boat is the day I buy a dog.

He or she will be my fishing buddy.

Just not sure what breed yet.

Reactions: Sharky1203

Angry Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

I HATE these threads. My boss/friend had to put his dog of 18 years down on Thursday. Sorry, Hoosier. Keep us posted. 🙏

We may still take him to the vet but my wife wants to give him the weekend. He is on Carporfen which has a side effect that can cause this and often if the medicine is withheld they can get better.

I personally kind of doubt it's that cause he has been on it for over a month now and just now had problems. But he isn't in any apparent pain so I suppose no harm other than the possibility that we are drawing out the grief.

Had to put down our 13 year old when they experienced these exact symptoms.

You might try hand feeding it. And maybe feel around the limbs to see if they pull back anywhere.

I carried ours out to go potty until the wife was ready to say goodbye

Reactions: Moral
If it makes you feel better, I took my 15 year old german shorthair to the beach this weekend because his clock's about to run out

I’m bored. Sitting the the back of an ambulance on an inter facility transfer and am asleep patient. Tears running down my face.

A patient dies on me and for the most part it’s oh well. A dog? Breaks me up

A few weeks ago I was walking our 20 pound terrier in the neighborhood and he was attacked by an unleashed, unattended, unprovoked 80 pound pit bull. It took 3 other guys to help me get the pit bull off my dog and my dog passed away the next evening at the vets. Took the owner to small claims court and her brother in law paid me. The city took her to court for having a potentially dangerous dog, slapped her wrist, and let her keep her dog as long as he behaves. Wally was a great dog and no owner should have to deal with such a farce. The family is still dealing with grief!
I’m bored. Sitting the the back of an ambulance on an inter facility transfer and am asleep patient. Tears running down my face.

A patient dies on me and for the most part it’s oh well. A dog? Breaks me up

Could try one of those 'lifting harnesses' that you can assist him with and see if he can work himself back to walking a bit w/ some help.

For those of your that don’t mind having a cry every once in a while, find the Scott Van Pelt video of his dog Odey.

He also has a nice one on the Kinnick wave. Now that we are less than 50 days from kickoff.
Oh man, why did I watch that?! Very moving.

Sorry you're going through this OP.

A few weeks ago I was walking our 20 pound terrier in the neighborhood and he was attacked by an unleashed, unattended, unprovoked 80 pound pit bull. It took 3 other guys to help me get the pit bull off my dog and my dog passed away the next evening at the vets. Took the owner to small claims court and her brother in law paid me. The city took her to court for having a potentially dangerous dog, slapped her wrist, and let her keep her dog as long as he behaves. Wally was a great dog and no owner should have to deal with such a farce. The family is still dealing with grief!

I'd make sure the City Council is aware that if that dog attacks a child, they'll be paying out a shit-ton of money by allowing the owners to keep it.

At a minimum, it should be muzzled whenever outdoors so that it poses no threat to anyone. Catch them w/ the dog outside w/o the muzzle and it gets euthanized.

The rainbow bridge is there…for all of us who love our dearest companion.
Don’t let the poor guy suffer too much. 😣

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Sorry Hoosier, it’s the worst losing a pet. We put down our elder puggle 6 months ago. Still tear up when I think about him. Our younger puggle is 6 now. Was just yesterday we brought her home. I tear up sometimes thinking about the last day I’ll get to hold her. I think we will be done with dogs for a while after she goes. It’s just so hard.

Sorry to hear. We went through this last September. Very tough.

I'd be crying for a week or 2 minimum. I just did recently.

Sorry man. It really does suck. My lab/great dane mix is 13 which is old for a big dog. I imagine it'll be harder with him now that the kids are out of the house. Our pets are our kids.

Reactions: ericram and Moral
This happened to our dog last month. He had cancer but was doing great and one day could not get out of his bed. We were overseas in Europe for a wedding and unfortunately could not get back in time. We had a dog sitter at home and he ended up passing in his sleep 8 hours after we read letters to him through Facetime.

The morning we left, I was working and running late returning to our house. Packed up quickly and rushed out the door with never really saying good bye. Still have a lot of regret. I'd do almost anything for one more moment with him.

Dogs are the best...

Does this mutt have an outdoor yard? If so a "Dirty Deeds for Dogs" would be hamburger patty laced with rat poison. Better yet if it sleeps inside. You can lob this "grenade" under the cover of darkness and it can be waiting for him when he does his business.

No more dog, plus the owner might have to deal with some indoor bloody squirts.

Reactions: DirtyJohns97
Does this mutt have an outdoor yard? If so a "Dirty Deeds for Dogs" would be hamburger patty laced with rat poison. Better yet if it sleeps inside. You can lob this "grenade" under the cover of darkness and it can be waiting for him when he does his business.

No more dog, plus the owner might have to deal with some indoor bloody squirts.
Don’t go after the dog, go after the owner.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT