ADVERTISEMENT

Don't blame just the media for thin coverage of Harris

KFsdisciple

HB Legend
Jul 3, 2003
pretty interesting read from The Hill

Don’t blame just the media for thin coverage; blame Harris’s zero-substance campaign​

If you think the news coverage of Vice President Kamala Harris’s presidential campaign is frustratingly paper-thin, you’re not alone.

We know little about her current policy positions or what she’d pursue as president. But let’s not be too hard on the journalists. The lack of robust news coverage is mostly down to the Harris campaign being a hollow shell, constructed entirely from feelings and emotions. It’s “good vibes” all the way through. It’s hard for the media to cover something that isn’t there.
Harris has yet to sit for an interview with any journalist. Her handlers are extra careful to ensure she makes no off-the-cuff remarks to members of the press. Harris has unveiled no detailed policy positions, provided very few agenda specifics and lacks even a policy section on her campaign website.

The New Yorker’s Jay Caspian Kang said it best when he complained that there’s “an energized, good feeling about Campaign Kamala — to a degree not felt, on a presidential level, since Barack Obama’s last race — and nobody wants to mess that up with debates about policy.”

The Harris campaign is fully hunkered down, seemingly with no plans to make the candidate widely available to the press or the public outside of tightly scripted and coordinated campaign events. They plan to coast to Election Day entirely on the fumes of “joy” and vague but positive press.

The lack of policy specifics, or even a clearly defined political vision, has left news outlets such as Politico to scrounge for stories. Unfortunately, this has resulted in many zero-substance fluff reports with headlines such as, “Mindy Kaling is proud to be Kamala Harris’s cooking partner,” and “In Tim Walz, Black women see the ‘right white man’ for VP.”

A campaign with nothing to say is partially why the New York Times is publishing articles with headlines such as, “A Comedy Critic Weighs In on Kamala Harris’s Laugh,” whose subhead reads, “The Trump campaign sees Harris’s laugh as a vulnerability to exploit. But far from a liability, it is one of her most effective weapons.”

Harris’s substance-free campaign is why the Atlantic likewise published an article titled “Kamala Harris and the Threat of a Woman’s Laugh.” The subhead reads, “Criticism of emotional expression has long been a weapon of choice for those wanting to cut down women in political power.”
Or, my personal favorite, which comes from the Lost Angeles Times: “Kamala Harris is a cook — and a good one. Will it help her win?” The subhead on that is even better, “Vice President Kamala Harris is a gourmand — one who knows how to brine a turkey, and where to find good Oaxacan food in L.A. She’s made it part of her political persona.”

It seems unlikely that Vice President Harris’s knowledge of Oaxacan food will help her in crucial Waukesha County. But when there’s nothing to report, this is what you end up with.

To be sure, we would undoubtedly see similarly flattering coverage for any other Democratic candidate. Yet, in this exact instance, with the Harris 2024 campaign, there really is nothing for reporters to cover but “good feelings” and fluff. The coverage is terrible, and we’re drowning in endless “joy” nonsense, but that’s not entirely on the press. An evident lack of substance is why, in defense of the Democratic nominee, certain journalists and commentators have taken to speculating about the policies Harris may or may not pursue as president.
They can’t outright defend her vision because they just don’t know what she really believes. When the Democrat runs a “vibes only” campaign, speculation is all you have left.

“Sometimes you just have to ignore the economists,” read the headline to an Atlantic article imagining what Harris might mean when she says she wants to impose price-controls to combat persistently high grocery prices.

Axios argued the same, using identically speculative language in an article titled, “Don’t call it price controls: How price gouging bans really work.”
At least one can say of Republican nominee Donald Trump that he’s an immigration hawk. One can say he’s anti-China. But what can anyone say about Harris’s policy positions that her spokesperson won’t later deny?

If the coverage of the Democratic campaign is exceptionally thin, it’s because the campaign itself is exceptionally thin. If the Harris campaign were a sitcom, it’d be “Seinfeld” — not because it’s a show about backstabbing sociopaths, but because it’s a show about nothing.

Becket Adams is a writer in Washington and program director for the National Journalism Center.

Trump is an immigration hawk. Well, that’s one way to put it I suppose. A do nothing hawk, but a hawk nonetheless.
Beckett Adams seems like a straight shooter given his recent columns on how the MSM is mean, and his column about Max Boot being a subversive.

Trump is an immigration hawk. Well, that’s one way to put it I suppose. A do nothing hawk, but a hawk nonetheless.
Beckett Adams seems like a straight shooter given his recent columns on how the MSM is mean, and his column about Max Boot being a subversive.
Her campaign is working, no reason to change.

But to pretend that the article in the OP isn't spot on is denialism. It is what it is and it's a winning strategy.

Just hope this doesn't become the norm in our politics moving forward...maybe having Trump on the other side of the ledger is the only reason this will work.

Thanks for that thoughtful response. Kackles is that you?
A very thoughtful response for an article that writes this while bitching about Kamala.

At least one can say of Republican nominee Donald Trump that he’s an immigration hawk. One can say he’s anti-China. But what can anyone say about Harris’s policy positions that her spokesperson won’t later deny?

• Haha
Reactions: sober_teacher
A very thoughtful response for an article that writes this while bitching about Kamala.

You cherry picked the one line in the story that included Trump... you focused on the 2% and ignored the 98% sort of like the Harris campaign strategy, that's why I asked when you laughed, if you are Kackles herself.

Pretty spot on actually.

Reactions: ICHerky
Obviously the article will put 90% of the boards panties in a bunch but it's the truth.

Embrace it. It's a winning strategy.

Trump will continue to go out there...give interviews, talk off the cuff and give plenty of ammunition to the Harris campaign. No reason to change course for the Harris campaign...Trump is doing all the work for them.

It is what it is.

You cherry picked the one line in the story that included Trump... you focused on the 2% and ignored the 98% sort of like the Harris campaign strategy, that's why I asked when you laughed, if you are Kackles herself.
No need to consider the thoughts of anyone that can write that sentence with a straight face.

Trump loves infrastructure. Got a lot done there. Has the best healthcare plan, remember that big book he handed out? Trump likes well done streak, has Kamala even said how she likes hers!?

No need to consider the thoughts of anyone that can write that sentence with a straight face.

Trump loves infrastructure. Got a lot done there. Has the best healthcare plan, remember that big book he handed out? Trump likes well done streak, has Kamala even said how she likes hers!?
Yeah it's all in project 2025

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
Abortion and women's rights? Ya, Kamala light there. Definitely not policy strong like Trump, who says he'll be strong in reproductive rights now.. oh wait, that's after setting the stage for their trampling. But anyway, Trump has a clear position and Kamala doesn't, or something.

Policy Isn’t Going to Win This Election​

The Harris campaign seems to have grasped an important reality.

One of the great myths of American politics is that detailed policy positions are crucial to winning elections. Yes, policy matters in broad strokes: Candidates take general positions on issues such as taxes, abortion, and foreign policy. Rather than study white papers or ponder reports from think tanks, however, most voters count on parties and candidates to signal broad directions and then work out the details later.

In the 2024 election, policy details matter even less than they usually do. Vice President Kamala Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, seem to have figured this out. Harris has been blasted by Republicans for avoiding the press, and some journalists have griped that she hasn’t sat down for a long interview and didn’t make a major policy speech before this past Friday. But Harris and Walz seem to be making a strategic choice—and for now, a good one.

Her campaign is working, no reason to change.

But to pretend that the article in the OP isn't spot on is denialism. It is what it is and it's a winning strategy.

Just hope this doesn't become the norm in our politics moving forward...maybe having Trump on the other side of the ledger is the only reason this will work.
Ya think?

Policy Isn’t Going to Win This Election​

The Harris campaign seems to have grasped an important reality.

One of the great myths of American politics is that detailed policy positions are crucial to winning elections. Yes, policy matters in broad strokes: Candidates take general positions on issues such as taxes, abortion, and foreign policy. Rather than study white papers or ponder reports from think tanks, however, most voters count on parties and candidates to signal broad directions and then work out the details later.

In the 2024 election, policy details matter even less than they usually do. Vice President Kamala Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, seem to have figured this out. Harris has been blasted by Republicans for avoiding the press, and some journalists have griped that she hasn’t sat down for a long interview and didn’t make a major policy speech before this past Friday. But Harris and Walz seem to be making a strategic choice—and for now, a good one.

Yes. We already know where they stand on major issues. Policy details aren’t changing anyone’s mind. People should stop the handwringing over this.

She can smile, be happy and talk about hopes and dreams. He can frown, be mad and tell us the country is going to hell. Who's method will attract enough voters to win? At this moment... looks like she will.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Yes, policy free presidential elections are the way to go :p

Seriously, I hope this is one off because of Trump.
Name any major issue and ask yourself if you are uncertain where the candidates will land.
Is it really “policy free”?

What details are you looking for that will change your vote between such two different candidates?

And you and 99% of Dems thought Kamala was just awful 2 months ago. Then she...uhhh...did absolutely nothing different...and now you're all "We love Kamala!!! What an historic candidacy!" And still can't mention a single thing she's for...other than not letting Trump in the WH. At least be honest and admit that she's still awful but you're voting for her anyway, just to keep Trump out.

Guys, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

She is truly an idiot. We all know people that fall up.

Those of you saying she isn't an idiot, are the same ones that thought I was dumb for the 8 months I told you Biden had lost his fastball.

There is no substance to Kamala Harris.

Enjoy your day.

Screenshot-20240725-121447-X.jpg

Slightly dated now but admittedly I thought you all would have picked up on this faster than you are.

Yes, policy free presidential elections are the way to go :p

Seriously, I hope this is one off because of Trump.

I think this is a long running historical pattern. Presidential candidates don't typically present detailed policy agendas as part of their campaigns. This isn't a new phenomena associated with this election.

Uh oh he’s starting to get upset! He tried to come in all level headed but now his blood is boiling.

You could point the finger at me here, that's your right... but it's pretty disingenuous considering you know I was responding to someone else. You could have just as easily called out the other guy or included both posts in your reply and said something like "this is why we can't have serious discussions here" but why would you do something like that?

Name any major issue and ask yourself if you are uncertain where the candidates will land.

What details are you looking for that will change your vote between such two different candidates?
I'd like to hear her explain the policy flips from 2019...from her.

I'd like to hear her explain he "pride gouging" plan.

I'd to hear about her current view s on the filibuster.

I'd like to hear about her plans for her cabinet. Will she ask some of the Biden folks to remain in place or is she looking at new people.

There's more but that'd be a good start.

I think this is a long running historical pattern. Presidential candidates don't typically present detailed policy agendas as part of their campaigns. This isn't a new phenomena associated with this election.
She hasn't presented any vague agenda other than to steal Trump's Tax-Free Tips plan.

I'd like to hear her explain the policy flips from 2019...from her.

I'd like to hear her explain he "pride gouging" plan.

I'd to hear about her current view s on the filibuster.

I'd like to hear about her plans for her cabinet. Will she ask some of the Biden folks to remain in place or is she looking at new people.

There's more but that'd be a good start.
Will any of that change your vote?

She can smile, be happy and talk about hopes and dreams. He can frown, be mad and tell us the country is going to hell. Who's method will attract enough voters to win? At this moment... looks like she will.

Another postion. Harris talks about America's greatness, the need for a powerful military, being a leader in the world, being welcoming to immigrants but also protecting the border, allowing people to live their lives as they see fit without the government nosing religion in to the doctors office, dictating who you sleep with or marry, or how you raise your family.

Trump says America sucks, but don't worry, if we just elect him, again, it will be great.

Reactions: KFsdisciple

Well if you have the answers to all that is wrong and you're going to fix them day 1... that sounds great but I'm curious as to how you plan to accomplish that, and even more curious why your current administration hasn't taken any of those steps already. That's why she won't divulge any of her magic secrets here... because the first question will be why wait until Jan to do that?

Well if you have the answers to all that is wrong and you're going to fix them day 1... that sounds great but I'm curious as to how you plan to accomplish that, and even more curious why your current administration hasn't taken any of those steps already. That's why she won't divulge any of her magic secrets here... because the first question will be why wait until Jan to do that?
She’s President now?

You could point the finger at me here, that's your right... but it's pretty disingenuous considering you know I was responding to someone else. You could have just as easily called out the other guy or included both posts in your reply and said something like "this is why we can't have serious discussions here" but why would you do something like that?
You should be happy I said you tried to be level headed when we know that’s never the case. Your M.O. is all culture wars. “But TRANS! Bathrooms! TRANSSSSSSS!”

You should also be happy that the Yellow Jackets won on Saturday…but you & I both know you weren’t aware there was a game happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT