ADVERTISEMENT

Double boot / cross body ride crap has to go.

He only led the NCAA in pins and techs for 3 straight years, but ok.
Lol, what does that have to do with the ride?
Not bashing Zain, I'm a big fan, just saying in tight matches he used it to perfection .
Needs to go , it's BAD FOR the sport .
You are arguing that it's good for the sport?
Smh

Reactions: Wink8
Lol, what does that have to do with the ride?
Not bashing Zain, I'm a big fan, just saying in tight matches he used it to perfection .
Needs to go , it's BAD FOR the sport .
You are arguing that it's good for the sport?
Smh
What does getting turns and pins have to do with the ride? Do you even watch wrestling?

Double-boots is an effective break-down, which is an improvement of position. Before they outlawed putting in a half with both legs in, there was much more potential for scoring from double-boots, as well. Not so much now, unless the top guy can work for a wing. Either way, one or both legs need to come out once something is secured for a pinning combo. If the top guy has legs in (crossbody or both), it isn't stalling unless he isn't trying to improve position (e.g., break the guy down, secure a wing, turn the hips, what have you).

Now, I'll admit there seem to be plenty of times that guys do just enough to "look busy", and that stalling is occurring in such situations, but it is a judgment call officials have seldom been willing to make these days. Especially on guys with track records for generating potent offense much of the time.

But to suggest legs should just be outlawed entirely is going way too far. That's a significant part of the sport. I find leg offense very exciting when guys are able to generate offense from it. They do so often enough overall that its elimination -- or that an automatic 5-count be implemented -- should not be a real consideration.

Reactions: dickwhitman
As a break down, I am fine with it.
If a power half was allowed with it, also a fan

Fix was parallel the entire time he had it in. At one point he just arched I to it to creat parallel pressure.
Stalling. 5 count would be a good add.
Not for this year though. Just have to hope NCAA refs run a tighter ship. (255 said with a smerk).

Reactions: slushhead
To be clear, I didn't see the match. But this subject has been brought up enough over the season that I felt like weighing in.

My idea here is to put a new rule in regarding these types of rides. Double Boots, Figure 4 ,Cross body etc. If the Top man uses any "ride" that goes to a stalemate. He gets warned.

Next time he throws it in, 5 count automatic Stoll call!!! Either use it to score points, or go to something else!

Reactions: BuckeyeintheChi
My idea here is to put a new rule in regarding these types of rides. Double Boots, Figure 4 ,Cross body etc. If the Top man uses any "ride" that goes to a stalemate. He gets warned.

Next time he throws it in, 5 count automatic Stoll call!!! Either use it to score points, or go to something else!

The thing is, it typically takes more than 5 seconds to get a turn. So there has to be some sort of accompanying criteria for determining when the top guy isn't working for it. Or make it a 10-sec count. And if the bottom guy has latched onto and is holding a wrist, you can't conduct a count on the top guy.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
The thing is, it typically takes more than 5 seconds to get a turn. So there has to be some sort of accompanying criteria for determining when the top guy isn't working for it. Or make it a 10-sec count. And if the bottom guy has latched onto and is holding a wrist, you can't conduct a count on the top guy.

Yea I get what you are saying. That is why the first time you get warned. It is to discourage the top man from doing it again. like sometimes when you see the bottom guy Stand up and the Top man throws a leg to get a stalemate. Once warned on top, he would now either cut him, go to something else or risk a stall.
Have to generate action!

Reactions: slushhead
The criteria is getting out to the side to work the pinning combination you’ve secured. Most of the time you have to get perpendicular to your opponent, if wat back points or a fall

The criteria is getting out to the side to work the pinning combination you’ve secured. Most of the time you have to get perpendicular to your opponent, if wat back points or a fall

Yeah, I was thinking more about criteria for "working to secure", which can be faked. Once a half or wing or whatever is secured, top guy can't just hold it. Must get off the hips or turn the hips in short order.

The bull gets turns with his three quarter headlock even though it's a 5 count. I still don't understand how that move is a 5 count for stalling. This sport's rules and officiating are so backwards sometimes. The ref today did not count for stalling before he put it turned the okie state kid with it.

It was like being in bizarro-world in the arena today when Fix put the boots in. ~13000 OSU fans roared with approval. In Iowa City 15000 fans would have struck a “Gable pose” and screamed stalling.

Okie state fans are smart. They know a good stall move when they see one. They saw that and knew he'd be able to stall ride for the win. What's fking hilarious is that in Flo's IG video for that match you can hear someone in Okie state's corner yelling "stalling bottom" when Fix had double legs in. Like he had to make sure he clarified who was stalling there. =P Typically when you're yelling stalling it's obvious which wrestler is stalling. He didn't sound so sure when he emphasized it was the bottom guy.

getting off the hips is the issue. If you can’t secure a pinning combo in 15-seconds stale mate. Another 15 sec stalemate. If You throw doubles in off the whistle, stalling.
A choke hold is not an offensive move and should be a technical violation

We need more of our guys to do this. Our riders aren’t as good. Take away the riding time point. That would discourage stalling on top. No incentive, except to waste time. If Desanto would have gotten a takedown, Fix isn’t going to do that. Really shouldn’t have taken down.

We need more of our guys to do this. Our riders aren’t as good. Take away the riding time point. That would discourage stalling on top. No incentive, except to waste time. If Desanto would have gotten a takedown, Fix isn’t going to do that. Really shouldn’t have taken down.
Hindsight’s 20/20. He was down 1-0, he had to go down. Fix isn’t known as a riding juggernaut by any stretch but what he is known for is countering shots...we found out there’s a way to slow AD down now and we also found out fix wanted no parts of the squabble from the feet late in the match. Both learned a thing or two I think. I agree that if Austin had taken fix down, it would’ve been different. If/when they wrestle again, be a takedown ahead before your choice or just go neutral in the same type of match. AD is actually better than I thought going into that match. I thought he was really good but even in that loss he showed he’s a very real problem at 133. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him finish #1. Seriously. And I wonder what he said to fix when shaking hands...

15 seconds more and I think ADS would have had the reversal. A 2-0 loss on escape and boots-in riding time is a winnable match next time. Fix is an impressive kid and didn’t score offensively against DeSanto. Feels solvable by NCAA’s.

If you take away riding time we go back to rampant stalling on bottom, which is why riding time was implemented in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT