ADVERTISEMENT

Dow futures sink nearly 500 points as Putin orders deployment of troops to eastern Ukraine

Dow futures sink nearly 500 points as Putin orders deployment of troops to eastern Ukraine: https://on.mktw.net/3p1sjAj
OIP.DpZ23A_PLQDrH3ry3YbsPwHaHa

Can you point to any board member that is supporting Russia? Provide a link.
It's a big meh.

Why are we messing around on their border anyway? It's bad enough that we played a role in the 2014 coup.

I will never understand the propensity for sticking our nose into everything
Lucky Lindy here doesn’t seem to get that we are the world’s check on Russia. That’s the system we created.

Reactions: lucas80
Cash or shorting the market is a good play here. Could also go I-Bonds. But I would hesitate for anyone to sell right now, especially for long term money, because the market always recovers, always has, always will.

A person who pulls out now will undoubtedly be too late to get back in or get back in after a 3% up day only for the market to pull back 2%, resulting in a net 5% loss. Where if they just hold; they’d be up 1% rather than down 5%. Can make all the difference down the road.

We did. We created NATO. We prevented the world’s third and fourth largest economies from adequately militarizing. We convinced countries like the Ukraine to abandon nuclear ambitions.
Strictly from a Ukrainian perspective, they were fools for giving up the nukes that were on Ukrainian territory after the cold war.

Reactions: goldmom and mnole03
Ukraine certainly had delivery systems at the fall of the USSR. They had 1/3 of the nuclear arsenal of the entire USSR. This included numerous ICBMs.

So, they had delivery systems, but they couldn't really use them. The article states they would have needed 12-18 months to gain operational control, they had no ability to update or modernize the systems, and because they were ballistic missiles they'd have been able to hit the Far East of Russia, but wouldn't have been much of a deterrent. I suppose they could have taken the warheads off of the missiles and turned them into super big landmines and placed them at their border with Russia, but trading them was probably the best move for them.

North Korea threatened more with less for 20 years.
North Korea has been led by three despotic crazy men. Ukraine is trying to become a stable democracy. Putin and Nat do not want a stable democracy bordering Russia giving their citizens an idea of what's out there.

Reactions: BioHawk and mnole03
So, they had delivery systems, but they couldn't really use them. The article states they would have needed 12-18 months to gain operational control, they had no ability to update or modernize the systems, and because they were ballistic missiles they'd have been able to hit the Far East of Russia, but wouldn't have been much of a deterrent. I suppose they could have taken the warheads off of the missiles and turned them into super big landmines and placed them at their border with Russia, but trading them was probably the best move for them.

I enjoy watching you backtrack.

I enjoy watching you backtrack.
Sure, I was wrong about delivery systems. Kind of. Did you read the Wiki page? They had them, but they would have had a very hard time using them or keeping them operational.
Your life is very sad if this passes for a high moment for you

F'em. Lets f the Russia economy.
They don't have an economy, that's Putin's biggest problem. They have extractive industries, military sales, and a younger generation who is starting to realize they are getting screwed over as Covid rages, and the kleptocrats rob them blind while simultaneously destroying freedoms.

In retrospect, I don't agree that Ukraine trading away the nukes they had was the best move for them.

They don't have an economy, that's Putin's biggest problem. They have extractive industries, military sales, and a younger generation who is starting to realize they are getting screwed over as Covid rages, and the kleptocrats rob them blind while simultaneously destroying freedoms.
So destroy that "economy" as much as possible. Eat away at Putin from within Russia.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Sure, I was wrong about delivery systems. Kind of. Did you read the Wiki page? They had them, but they would have had a very hard time using them or keeping them operational.
Your life is very sad if this passes for a high moment for you

I have nothing to do with this moment. This is your moment.

I'm ready to go all out Wolverines! or fight Drago. Russia is a shithole nation that should not be causing global problems
A shithole that’s building vital energy delivery systems to much of Europe. A shithole who has the means to hack into many of the things we rely on here to live...our power grid. Our banking. Communications.
I’m afraid we might find out we can become a shithole overnight ourselves.

A shithole that’s building vital energy delivery systems to much of Europe. A shithole who has the means to hack into many of the things we rely on here to live...our power grid. Our banking. Communications.
I’m afraid we might find out we can become a shithole overnight ourselves.

Your fear is needless . Put a bunch of our dork 20 year olds on assignment. Russia won't know what to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT