ADVERTISEMENT

Drake gave one away.

drake-hereformsminaj.gif

Drake looked like a mediocre high school team trying to break the press during the first week of the season. Combine that with the MVC player of the year not being able to make a shot. They played hard every possession on both ends, which was refreshing to watch.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Drake looked like a mediocre high school team trying to break the press during the first week of the season. Combine that with the MVC player of the year not being able to make a shot. They played hard every possession on both ends, which was refreshing to watch.

Miami coach said Drake was the best defense they played all year.

Reactions: hawkdave007
I was really impressed with Drake. It was surprising they couldn't manage Miami's press. But, Miami is dam good too.

Yes Drake did piss it away. Dammit. Played well enough to win...should have won, but that late game brain fart did them in.
It will be interesting to see what DeVries can follow up the last two years with next season. He’s a solid coach. If I were UIowa, I would avoid playing Drake, too! They could beat you. Anyway, it is more important to play Eastern Illinois and Southwest Teachers College of Classical Music than it is a legit state rival.

Outscored 16-1 to end the game. The coach's kid went 1-11. Many want DeVries for the next coach because of more Nepotism, maybe?
Wasn’t his kid the Larry Bird Trophy winner as MVC Player of the Year? I mean, that would kind of negate that nepotism argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: mthawkeyes
Outscored 16-1 to end the game. The coach's kid went 1-11. Many want DeVries for the next coach because of more Nepotism, maybe?
Said it on the basketball board but I watch every Drake game and it was a just a flat out bad matchup athletically for Tucker. Couldn’t take advantage of his size to drive.

And he was MVC player of the year but Penn is what made that team click.

Iowa fans want DeVries because he’s achieved something previously impossible: 5 straight 20+ win seasons at Drake and 2 tourney appearances. A program that had I think 4 20+ win seasons and 4 tourney appearances in their entire history before him.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
So we want to dump 2 coaches because of nepotism and hire another despite it? Got it...
What? Only Ferentz is on the hot seat due to nepotism. DeVries has done well WITH his son. The message is that if you hire/recruit your kid, they better damn well be good. I don’t think Creighton basketball fans minded McDermott bringing his son along.

I'm calling out all those who blame Iowa nepotism after any loss but would welcome the next father/son duo. At this point I'm pretty meh on Iowa BB. Probably peaked when I was at the old fieldhouse at midnight after the team returned following the Georgetown win.

Iowa under Raveling is the closest thing to what it takes to advance in the NCAAs today. They played hard D, giving up only about 60 points/game over 3 years but the offense was hard to watch. They could have won 2 first round NCAA games under George but shot 40% from the free throw line in both losses. Cost them the games...

I'm calling out all those who blame Iowa nepotism after any loss but would welcome the next father/son duo. At this point I'm pretty meh on Iowa BB. Probably peaked when I was at the old fieldhouse at midnight after the team returned following the Georgetown win.

Iowa under Raveling is the closest thing to what it takes to advance in the NCAAs today. They played hard D, giving up only about 60 points/game over 3 years but the offense was hard to watch. They could have won 2 first round NCAA games under George but shot 40% from the free throw line in both losses. Cost them the games...
That first Davis team (with George's players) was pretty sweet. If only Iowa could have found a way to have George recruit and Davis coach.....Raveling had a bunch of talent assembled.....Davis organized it.

George would have had Iowa on probation if he had stayed. He was hooked up with Ed Martin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT