ADVERTISEMENT

Drake vs. Figueroa Final

The-Dude-Abides

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
Looking on wrestlestat, Drake is 17-6 vs. common opponents and Figs is 13-4 over their careers. Hard to infer much from 125 wins and losses this year, but Figs has wins this year over Camacho, Stanich, and Smith, then McKee, Davis, and Noto this weekend. He traded losses with Provo, and also lost to Spratley, Volk, and Maximo Renteria. Figs didn't see Ramos this year, which would be a good comparison point, but he did beat Ramos last season.

Drake has wins over McKee x2, Volk, Smith, Davis, Barnett x2, Provo, and Spratley, and losses to Kaylor, DeAug x2, and trading win/loss with Ramos. So basically it's impossible to glean anything from prior matches going into tonight. FWIW, Drake beat Figs 5-3 at 2020 WNO, and Figs beat Drake 7-4 at 2021 U20s (freestyle).

In the little I've watched of Figs this season, he seems pretty stingy defensively, quick, and pretty good in scrambles but not top of the class there. Honestly feels similar to Drake in many ways. If Drake comes out attacking aggressively but smart from the whistle, I like his chances to get a TD or two and control the match. Don't want to hang around and try to force the action late.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
Looking on wrestlestat, Drake is 17-6 vs. common opponents and Figs is 13-4 over their careers. Hard to infer much from 125 wins and losses this year, but Figs has wins this year over Camacho, Stanich, and Smith, then McKee, Davis, and Noto this weekend. He traded losses with Provo, and also lost to Spratley, Volk, and Maximo Renteria. Figs didn't see Ramos this year, which would be a good comparison point, but he did beat Ramos last season.

Drake has wins over McKee x2, Volk, Smith, Davis, Barnett x2, Provo, and Spratley, and losses to Kaylor, DeAug x2, and trading win/loss with Ramos. So basically it's impossible to glean anything from prior matches going into tonight. FWIW, Drake beat Figs 5-3 at 2020 WNO, and Figs beat Drake 7-4 at 2021 U20s (freestyle).

In the little I've watched of Figs this season, he seems pretty stingy defensively, quick, and pretty good in scrambles but not top of the class there. Honestly feels similar to Drake in many ways. If Drake comes out attacking aggressively but smart from the whistle, I like his chances to get a TD or two and control the match. Don't want to hang around and try to force the action late.
I think it will be a one TD match as both guys are very good defensively. Now that I said that it will be a 11-9 score.

Figs and Ayala have shown to both be content to sit on a 1 td lead. Hopefully Ayala comes out and tries to grow his lead but I could see the first td being the winner

Don't dance with him. Get inside and work off contact. Be physical. Davis lost to him by getting sucked into his one knee crap. Same with everyone else. Wrestle him like McDonough or Gilman would. Pound on his neck and get in there and work.

Ayala 4-1 for the win

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
In two of Figueroa's matches this tournament, he's essentially sprinted straight backwards out of bounds after getting a lead. Not even at the very end of the match either. If Drake gets behind he needs to be super aggressive, and he can set himself up to get stall calls and force Figueroa to engage. Figueroa likes to wrestle from distance and will back up to avoid ties for much of the match. He's very explosive and dynamic in scrambles. Should be a great match. Let's go Drake!

Reactions: Psubiomed
In two of Figueroa's matches this tournament, he's essentially sprinted straight backwards out of bounds after getting a lead. Not even at the very end of the match either. If Drake gets behind he needs to be super aggressive, and he can set himself up to get stall calls and force Figueroa to engage. Figueroa likes to wrestle from distance and will back up to avoid ties for much of the match. He's very explosive and dynamic in scrambles. Should be a great match. Let's go Drake!
Get him off that damn knee.

Called it that Fig would back up all match. Can't believe refs didn't call stalling in the first period.

I thought the first takedown should've been 3 drake TD and 2 reversal Fig. Not sure how that wasn't a takedown for Drake in the merkle.

Reactions: Chuck C
I would have dinged that mf'r in the 1st period. Different match if they would have done that.
And it’s not like it was just this match. Guys like Figs, Fix, Lewan….habitual backer-uppers. Nail ‘em as soon as they show it. They’ve done the exact opposite of earning benefit of the doubt when it comes to playing the OOB line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT