ADVERTISEMENT

Dumbest Rule in College Football

If you fumble the ball forward and it isn't the endzone and goes out of bounds it goes back to the spot of the fumble. Possession doesn't change in that circumstance, why does possession change due to the endzone.

You sure it goes back to the spot of the fumble or where it goes out of bounds?

You know, I'm trying to find a ruling on this and it's kind of hard. Fumble rules are really conflated.

So these are NFL rules, which mirror the NCAA rules "A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback."

from, http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble

You know, I'm trying to find a ruling on this and it's kind of hard. Fumble rules are really conflated.

The late fumble (that was clearly not a fumble upon review and easy to tell live) was ruled out at the 2 yd line.

The ball was ruled out at the 2.
The play was overturned that he was down at the 3 yd line.

There was an unsportsmanlike penalty (half the distance) and moved to the 1 1/2 yd line. So it looks like they either applied the rules wrong or they don't mirror the NFL.

The late fumble (that was clearly not a fumble upon review and easy to tell live) was ruled out at the 2 yd line.

The ball was ruled out at the 2.
The play was overturned that he was down at the 3 yd line.

There was an unsportsmanlike penalty (half the distance) and moved to the 1 1/2 yd line. So it looks like they either applied the rules wrong or they don't mirror the NFL.

This thread is about Easley's fumble into the endzone that was ruled a touchback if I'm not mistaken.

The conversation is about why this is even a valid rule to begin with.

Reactions: SHAWKER
If you fumble the ball forward and it isn't the endzone and goes out of bounds it goes back to the spot of the fumble. Possession doesn't change in that circumstance, why does possession change due to the endzone.
The reason I could see for the touchback if it's fumbled into the end zone, is to prevent teams from intentionally doing it.

You could have all kinds of shenanigans if this wasn't a rule.

Reactions: iahawks10
The reason I could see for the touchback if it's fumbled into the end zone, is to prevent teams from intentionally doing it.

The shenanigans could be prevented if the rule were that the ball is placed at the spot of the fumble, i.e. offense can't score if ball is fumbled before breaking the plane.

Honestly, I don't think the fumbling team should be able to advance the ball under any circumstance, just recover to regain possession only. But they didn't let me write the rules.

So in the regular field of play someone fumbles the ball on the 20 and it goes out of bounds and the 15, it comes back to the 20.

If you fumble the ball at the five, and it goes out of bounds in the endzone the other team gets the ball.

So what's the worry, that people are going to chuck the ball in the endzone when they get close and this protects against that?

Seems like the easy fix would be that you can't progress an offensive fumble and you get the ball at the point of control.

To me it's completely asinine that you would change possession because a fumble goes through the endzone, when the same rule doesn't matter in the other 100 yards.

This thread is about Easley's fumble into the endzone that was ruled a touchback if I'm not mistaken. I know what play the OP was talking about.

The conversation is about why this is even a valid rule to begin with.

So because it's about Easley no other plays apply?

Iowa fumble ruled out at the two and then by penalty, moved to the one.

Play overturned. Ruled down at the three (no fumble, and moved to the 1 1/2 yd line on the penalty.

Clearly they spot the ball where it goes out at. NFL and college rules on fumbles differ I am pretty sure.

Like fumbling into to the end zone and the offense recovers is another one.

This is not accurate.

Is it not? Please link me the rule because I have been googling fumbling rules and everything I've saw says that if you fumble the ball out of bounds untouched it comes back to the point of the fumble.

Is it not? Please link me the rule because I have been googling fumbling rules and everything I've saw says that if you fumble the ball out of bounds untouched it comes back to the point of the fumble.

If what your saying is accurate, the refs applied the rules wrong today.

That's how that late fumble play is relevant.

If what your saying is accurate, the refs applied the rules wrong today.

That's how that late fumble play is relevant.

What you quoted was me saying if you fumble the ball on the 20 and it goes out of bounds at the 15 untouched, it comes back to the 20. You said this is inaccurate. I asked you to link me something that says this is inaccurate.

You haven't done this. I've been trying to find it, because I hate these fumble rules.

Second place goes to the Wadley play. I'm mean seriously taking points off the board? What a dumb Fing rule.

I agree, calling a spot foul for excessive celebration is ridiculous. It wasn't even that egregious.

I don't mind the fumble in endzone rule. Bottom line, don't fumble.

What's a fair alternative? Offense's ball at the 10, loss of down? I don't mind the rule.

Play continues from the spot of the fumble, loss of down (or 1st down depending on the circumstances). The defense needs to actually earn the turnover.

It really doesn't seem like that difficult of a solution.

If that is a penalty, there should be a penalty every time a wide receiver does the first down celebration after catching a pass. There should also be a penalty every time a defense celebrates after the sack. It's just silly. Let them play a little.
Yep, on NT first score, the back gave the hush signal to the crowd. That seems way more unsportsmanlike, and inflammatory, then what Wadley did.

Just change the charge from "Excessive Celebration" to "Celabration" only. Nothing Wadley did was excessive.

Old school reference but ... NO FUN OF ANY KIND!

Reactions: unclesammy
Play continues from the spot of the fumble, loss of down (or 1st down depending on the circumstances). The defense needs to actually earn the turnover.

It really doesn't seem like that difficult of a solution.
I think the offense should be penalized somewhat if they expose the ball near the goal. It does sound stupid, but I do feel that way. I think the defense can earn the turnover by actually taking the ball. But I do think the offense should be penalized in yardage if they get cute at the goal and drop the ball.

I think the offense should be penalized somewhat if they expose the ball near the goal. It does sound stupid, but I do feel that way. I think the defense can earn the turnover by actually taking the ball. But I do think the offense should be penalized in yardage if they get cute at the goal and drop the ball.

Why? Because of the arbitrary line? Should they get penalized by getting cute with the 1st down marker?

As per the rules that I've gathered, if a player crosses the 1st down line and fumbles the ball out of bounds, it's still a first down, it doesn't go to the other team. But apparently the endzone line is different?

It sounds stupid because it is stupid.

Why? Because of the arbitrary line? Should they get penalized by getting cute with the 1st down marker?

As per the rules that I've gathered, if a player crosses the 1st down line and fumbles the ball out of bounds, it's still a first down, it doesn't go to the other team. But apparently the endzone line is different?

It sounds stupid because it is stupid.
As per the rules you've gathered, the offense also can't advance if a ball-carrier near the boundary fumbles 5 yards forward and OOB. I don't know the right rule for the endzone, but let's not pretend that there's no reason here.

As per the rules you've gathered, the offense also can't advance if a ball-carrier near the boundary fumbles 5 yards forward and OOB. I don't know the right rule for the endzone, but let's not pretend that there's no reason here.

As it was called it was the right call as per the rules. I'm just questioning the rule. The more I think about the rule the dumber it is.

I understand protecting against teams trying to fudge things in the endzone, sorta. But an automatic change of possession? When nobody actually possesses the ball? It's just a stupid rule. It doesn't make sense within the game.

Ball goes out on the 1 inch line, no change of possession, ball goes out 1 inch passed the endzone, change of possession.

Why, what the hell is the difference.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If you fumble the ball at the 5 yard line and it goes out at the 1, the benefit of the doubt goes to the offense and you get the ball at the 5. But if you fumble the ball at the 5 and it hits the pylon it's a touchback? I'm sorry that just makes 0 sense.

I definitely don't know the right thing for this situation. Maybe O gets the ball at the 10 and they lose the down if they cough it up when they were already goal-to-go?

I don't like the inconsistency in the rule. If you think they should be penalized, fine. Then the same rule should apply when they fumble the ball out of bounds anywhere else on the field as well.

I don't like the rule. I think the rule is nuts. And it shouldn't have applied in yesterday's case, anyway, because there was nowhere near enough video evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Having said that......I think the origin of the rule was prompted by players intentionally fumbling into/through the end zone. If your back is on the 1 yard line and thinks he isn't going to make it, he can just "fumble" the ball into the EZ and hope one of his teammates falls on it. Or something like that.

All rules were invented for a reason. The question is whether the reason is sufficient.

So these are NFL rules, which mirror the NCAA rules "A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback."

from, http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble

With one Major exception compared to the NCAA, the possession stays with the team on offense. You do not lose possession to the opposing team... That is the way it should be in college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT