ADVERTISEMENT

Early Commitments

Sep 27, 2008
I remembered reading this article when it came out and was only able to track it down now. Lemming is quoted in the article and makes mention of the fact that gaining so many commitments early in the recruiting process is the wrong way to go about things.

I know that there was an article recently where Lemming had some favorable comments about the kids we have on board so far. So has recruiting changed so much that with more 7 on 7 football, more out of season camps, etc. that evaluations of High School juniors are more reliable than they were ten years ago? Is it more easily explained away as a recruitnik trying to sell himself in the media?

Whichever coordinators were interviewed for the piece apparently also shared the belief that early commitments aren't the way to go. True evaluations of whether this class is any good will take place in two to three years but I couldn't help but recall this article when we had the rush of verbal pledges.

Here's the article:

http://articles.mcall.com/2004-11-04/sports/3574082_1_penn-state-nittany-lions-recruiting

On a phone currently if the link doesn't work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News