ADVERTISEMENT

Earth is on its way to the biggest mass extinction since the dinosaurs, scientists warn

What part of +1 -12 = -11; or +1 -24 = -23....
is too difficult to understand here? Losing environmental diversity is simply the start, until you hit an ecosystem tipping point and cascading effects.

Invasive species INCREASE diversity.

Kinda like refugees and illegal immigrants.

They've been quite accurate. Ozone was on its way out before we banned CFCs.
James Hansen's temperature estimate is pretty close to spot on, as well.

I'm sure you can find TIME magazine covers with silly headlines, though. And despite the number of times we tell you to get science projections from scientists, you never fail us in posting silly nonsense crap wildly distanced from mainstream science.

Sure thing, Ragemonster. Even the people who push this global warming narrative are FoS. Hypocrites who push for war, fly in private jets, sail around the world in giant yachts, these are the people who scream the loudest about global warming. At this point in time, it's pretty obvious that the whole thing is a taxpayer funded boondoggle.

While we're making everything extinct, can we include the goddamn squirrels? Thanks in advance.

Seriously, their habitats are expanding. Which is EXACTLY what these researchers were basing this study on.

+1 - 105 ---> 104 species that disappear when one invasive species takes over.

0 "new species"
104 "extinct species"

Is math REALLY this difficult for you?

Reactions: mthawkeyes
+1 - 105 ---> 104 species that disappear when one invasive species takes over.

0 "new species"
104 "extinct species"

Is math REALLY this difficult for you?

I don't believe your math. The introduction of Brazilian Pepper plants in Florida didn't mean any native plants ceased to exist.

I don't believe your math. The introduction of Brazilian Pepper plants in Florida didn't mean any native plants ceased to exist.

Then is wasn't a very good example of an 'invasive' species, was it?
Introduction of pythons into the Everglades sure has created some problems.

How about the algae blooms in the Mississippi delta? Invasive species of algae kills off all the native fish.

How about the algae blooms in the Mississippi delta? Invasive species of algae kills off all the native fish.

So what replaced the native fish? I'm sure something did. Nature finds a way.

We've had a good run.

I think Mother Earth has had its fill of the human species.

Will the bees make it?

Earth will remain habitable for another billion years or so.
But it will not remain habitable to sustain 8-9 billion humans on the planet.

And maybe less than half that number in a few centuries if the higher-end projections of warming come to pass.

Good example. Took about 30 seconds to prove you wrong...as usual. Unless you think you know more than the FL Fish and Wildlife folk:

Why Brazilian pepper must be managed
Brazilian pepper invasions represent a significant threat to Florida's native plant and wildlife populations. Typically, Brazilian pepper forms dense forests that exclude all other plant life by producing a dense closed canopy. These forests are considered to be poor habitat for native wildlife species and may negatively impact bird populations.

Good example. Took about 30 seconds to prove you wrong...as usual. Unless you think you know more than the FL Fish and Wildlife folk:

Why Brazilian pepper must be managed
Brazilian pepper invasions represent a significant threat to Florida's native plant and wildlife populations. Typically, Brazilian pepper forms dense forests that exclude all other plant life by producing a dense closed canopy. These forests are considered to be poor habitat for native wildlife species and may negatively impact bird populations.

Yeah, of course some nimrod came to that conclusion. But it simply isn't true.

How about Muslims in Dearborn?

They've been quite accurate. Ozone was on its way out before we banned CFCs.
James Hansen's temperature estimate is pretty close to spot on, as well.

I'm sure you can find TIME magazine covers with silly headlines, though. And despite the number of times we tell you to get science projections from scientists, you never fail us in posting silly nonsense crap wildly distanced from mainstream science.
This - if it isn't "mainstream" it isn't real.

Mainstream = liberal based and backed.

I had to come back to this thread and get my daily does of fear-mongering. It keeps me in line.

Sure thing, Ragemonster. Even the people who push this global warming narrative are FoS. Hypocrites who push for war, fly in private jets, sail around the world in giant yachts, these are the people who scream the loudest about global warming. At this point in time, it's pretty obvious that the whole thing is a taxpayer funded boondoggle.
That simply doesn't follow.

I happen to agree that we should dramatically curtail air traffic and wish guys like Gore would set a better example. But that has NOTHING to do with the facts of climate change.

We've had a good run.

I think Mother Earth has had its fill of the human species.
Even if you think there is some sort of justice if we make the planet largely uninhabitable for unprotected humans, the problem is that we could be taking 90% or more of other species with us.

Do those other species "deserve" this? I know, I know, conservative don't care and - as they have proved again and again here on HROT - laughingly cheer the devastation.

"...extinction is a natural phenomenon, it occurs at a natural “background” rate of about one to five species per year. Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate."

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/biodiversity/elements_of_biodiversity/extinction_crisis/

That simply doesn't follow.

I happen to agree that we should dramatically curtail air traffic and wish guys like Gore would set a better example. But that has NOTHING to do with the facts of climate change.

No, it doesn't follow at all:

s-leonardo-di-caprio-world-cup-yacht.jpg

Too dumb to recognize a non sequitur even when it's pointed out to you? I'll try again.

Leonardo's hypocrisy has no bearing whatsoever on the science.

Throwing that sort of thing out there as though it is relevant to the science is absolutely an example of FAKE THINKING.

It isn't just his hypocrisy. Once again, it's hard to take a movement seriously when the people at the top of the movement are power hungry hypocrites who supply their friends with taxpayer funded boondoggles.

It isn't just his hypocrisy. Once again, it's hard to take a movement seriously when the people at the top of the movement are power hungry hypocrites who supply their friends with taxpayer funded boondoggles.
You see, attacking the hypocrisy is fine. I'll join you. But extrapolating from hypocrisy to a wrong-headed view of the science is irrational.

FAKE THINKING.

And deflecting from a discussion of the science and its consequences with personal attacks on this or that hypocrite is just that - deflection.

FAKE THINKING.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT