ADVERTISEMENT

Edited title* Opinion: if we have to kill the season because Keven warren is a dufus with a 3 week wait rule, start the rebuild.

Mar 11, 2020
Talking with a fellow board member last night and we are both in agreement that it doesn't seem likely we will have football this year. So I presented this:

We know KF has a handful of years left with the program in the best of circumstances, he and I are in agreement BF sunk his bid to be the next HC so realiatically you are talking about a total rebuild. If we skip '20 instead of having an off year and then going through a rebuild in 3-4 years just take the lump now during a year of no football and create the easiest transition possible. What say you? If there is no football in '20 would it be a bad idea to blow it up and start over in the year off?

Edit* Oil brought up a good point early in this convo. Im talking about a staff rebuild here. We ARE in a great place from a roster standpoint which would help transition the new coach. We dont have to find ourselves in a "bare cupboard" situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
For those of you who think saving the rebuild for a later date is a good idea how many years do you see KF sticking around for?

wow, tough crowd. its likely that kirk will be retiring in the not too distant future, so I don't see this idea as far off the reservation as the others who have commented.

someone mentioned our player personnel... I don't think you can assume that everyone who committed and is currently here will bolt when a change happens. having the whole year of not playing may actually help in the retention of the current players and commits; giving the new staff time to re-recruit them.

otoh, I don't like it simply from the optics and the timing. I don't want to give the appearance of lending credence to any of the accusations that have been made.

wow, tough crowd. its likely that kirk will be retiring in the not too distant future, so I don't see this idea as far off the reservation as the others who have commented.

someone mentioned our player personnel... I don't think you can assume that everyone who committed and is currently here will bolt when a change happens. having the whole year of not playing may actually help in the retention of the current players and commits; giving the new staff time to re-recruit them.

otoh, I don't like it simply from the optics and the timing. I don't want to give the appearance of lending credence to any of the accusations that have been made.
For some people change is always bad and any talk of change is going to be met with opposition, there is still good discussion to be had. I could 100% see keepijg KF through this if you think he is going to be here 5 ish years. If you think we skip '20 and he is here for 2-3 after it to me it makes sense to make the transition when you have time to do it. You bring up a good point with the optics though.

I don't think the OP understands what the term rebuild means. Or else he has a very different definition. We are coming off a 10 win season. Have been incredibly consistent. If we were to replace Kirk or were he to leave, it would not be a rebuild job if/when someone comes in.

Good point Oil,

I'm referring to rebuilding the staff, there is talent on the roster for a new person to come in so we are not in a total rebuild of the program where we have a "bare cupboard" situation.

Good point Oil,

I'm referring to rebuilding the staff, there is talent on the roster for a new person to come in so we are not in a total rebuild of the program where we have a "bare cupboard" situation.

No but if there's a transition to a whole new staff, it's inevitable that you're going to lose some guys. If there's a whole philosophical overhaul with a new offensive system, etc, it might worsen that. With the recruiting challenges present right now and that will last for quite some time, I don't think now is a good time for a rebuild.

For those of you who think saving the rebuild for a later date is a good idea how many years do you see KF sticking around for?

As many as he wants. He's earned it.

You don't shitcan a guy who just won 8 games, then 9 the next year, then 10 the next, with his team's end of season ranking improving each year as well as recruiting rankings improving. Just how badly do you want to be Nebraska?

As many as he wants. He's earned it.

You don't shitcan a guy who just won 8 games, then 9 the next year, then 10 the next, with his team's end of season ranking improving each year as well as recruiting rankings improving. Just how badly do you want to be Nebraska?

I'm not against "as many as he wants" but as a guy who is reaching retirement age how long do you think that is?

Unless you have a can't miss candidate, that has proven strong recruiting, why inject this variable into a already tumultuous situation? KF has addressed recent staff issues and needs to prove the culture improvement. KF goes out on a high note (B1G championship) or handing off to someone proven. Brian will never be head coach (at least not at his current development), so who do you bring in?

If we change staff now, players will transfer and commitments will change. Most players commit to a staff, not a school. If you want to change coaches now, don’t expect to be loaded with talent for the next 3-5 years. Whoever is the new coach will have to put in the work and get his own players.

I vote no to a new coaching staff.

Unless you have a can't miss candidate, that has proven strong recruiting, why inject this variable into a already tumultuous situation? KF has addressed recent staff issues and needs to prove the culture improvement. KF goes out on a high note (B1G championship) or handing off to someone proven. Brian will never be head coach (at least not at his current development), so who do you bring in?
You are the second person that bring up the current situation as bad optics I think that is valid. Do you see the premise if we didn't have the investigation going on as a good transition timing with covid?

If we change staff now, players will transfer and commitments will change. Most players commit to a staff, not a school. If you want to change coaches now, don’t expect to be loaded with talent for the next 3-5 years. Whoever is the new coach will have to put in the work and get his own players.

I vote no to a new coaching staff.
Valid. Do you see anyway of avoiding this in the next 4-6 years anyway though?

You are the second person that bring up the current situation as bad optics I think that is valid. Do you see the premise if we didn't have the investigation going on as a good transition timing with covid?
The coaching carousel is dangerous to play on. It appears he was grooming Brian to hand off to, if Barta is AD maybe that still happens. Brian is just starting to be a decent OC, but needs a lot of maturation still to be a HC, the current situation shows just how much he isn't ready.

I was ready to say goodbye during the GDGD years, it has been and incredible turn around to watch. So even with out the current situation, Kirk stays on long enough to find a smart replacement.

With how the transfer portal has emerged, changing coaches is best to be announced at the right time to align with the right coach or you will have a mass exodus if there is a major change in scheme.

Valid. Do you see anyway of avoiding this in the next 4-6 years anyway though?

I would like to give him at least 2 years to see what the changes are.

Question: How much of the current staff stays in place if you get rid of KF? I like the direction of many of our younger coaches, and appreciate what PP does every year. Those losses could be worse than the Head Ball Coach.

I would like to give him at least 2 years to see what the changes are.

Question: How much of the current staff stays in place if you get rid of KF? I like the direction of many of our younger coaches, and appreciate what PP does every year. Those losses could be worse than the Head Ball Coach.
Very much agree. For me keeping K. BELL would be huge but he may be collateral dmg if it came to it.

We have a great roster but it may not, probably not, match what new coaches would want. We are not built to run the read option. Stay with the current coaches and scheme.
The change is coming at some point though, wouldn't it make sense to do it when you have a full year? You are just kind of delaying the inevitable right?

No HC and staff turnover comes without casualties. Iowa will take a hit be it this year, next year or 10 years from now just the nature of the beast.
My thoughts exactly, so wouldn't it make sense to do it during a year of 0 football instead of 0 football and then a hit shortly after?

Reactions: naturalmwa
My thoughts exactly, so wouldn't it make sense to do it during a year of 0 football instead of 0 football and then a hit shortly after?

It only makes sense if you are highly confident that the price you will pay now will be less than the price you would pay later. By price I am meaning the dip in performance that is almost inevitable when a HC change is made.

I am just not that confident that we know enough to make the call now. Especially considering the financial hit a challenged Athletic Department would have to take to get rid of KF with the Covid situation being unknown.

Let this thing play out. In some ways it might be a big plus for the program. If we can be on the leading edge of this movement- it might revitalize KF and actually Brian might still have a chance if he can show people he is capable of change.

It really doesn't matter what folks think. The only way this happens is if Kirk himself decides to step down, and that isn't going to happen.

It only makes sense if you are highly confident that the price you will pay now will be less than the price you would pay later. By price I am meaning the dip in performance that is almost inevitable when a HC change is made.

I am just not that confident that we know enough to make the call now. Especially considering the financial hit a challenged Athletic Department would have to take to get rid of KF with the Covid situation being unknown.
Good point. With income uncertainties creating the type of contract needed to bring in a new staff would be a huge risk.

Iowa will be fine with or without Kirk, he built a good program for the most part and it will sustain. Honestly, what I'm actually really hoping for, either way, is for Iowa State to need a reason to play Drake again this year. Please let this happen, just this one thing, please God.

Let this thing play out. In some ways it might be a big plus for the program. If we can be on the leading edge of this movement- it might revitalize KF and actually Brian might still have a chance if he can show people he is capable of change.
You are one of many to bring up the current affairs and optics and you are probably correct and I have not given that much value. For me the people that matter know KF is a good guy and the emotional people that want to follow every social justice fart in the wind will have a new shiny object within 3 months. I was/am purely thinking about it from a transition standpoint.

I believe Coach Ferentz has earned the right to coach as long as he wants to. I never liked how Coach Tom Davis was let go.
It didn't take Penn State or Wisconsin 4-5 years to recover from a coaching change.
Very true and Penn state did it through very adverse situations. I agree its KFs ball to call, how long do you think he wants to stick around?

No KF goes out on his terms or the end of his contract. Also, he’s not walking away from money owed on his contract and this is a bad time to bleed that money plus new staff money.

I’m not sold on the BF is sunk narrative either. He needs to mature more but the reality is some are using this as an opportunity to publicly force a move on because they’ve never liked him. If we go out and light up on offense and win games then ‘how you like me now’? That remains to be seen of course, but the false flag narrative pushers are out in force.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT