ADVERTISEMENT

Educate HROT about a great small town you've visited/lived

Agreed. Bayfield is awesome. That whole stretch from Bayfield west through Superior and Duluth, and then up the North Shore is awesome. Several great parks to hike in within a short radius, and, of course, all the activities on Lake Superior. Very cool restaurant scene in Bayfield.
We stayed in this creepy old hotel on Superior...pretty cool place.
Hotel Chequamegon...
7433967052_b71787fcdb_b.jpg

Superior is a dump but Duluth is great

I've never stayed overnight - just stopped a few times for lunch on the way back to Denver from ski towns - but Idaho Springs, CO looks like a really cool little town. Some excellent restaurants, nice looking bars, and the hot springs...

Reactions: lucas80
75000 residents is a small town? The town I grew up in had 2200-ish in 2010. That is a small town to me.
75,000 isn't a small town. Small city maybe.

Anyway.... I currently live in DeFuniak Springs, FL. Population ~5000. Home of one of two naturally round lakes in the world, a renown historic neighborhood and the Chautauqua Assembly.

DeFuniakSpringsAerial.jpg

DefuniakCircleDrive.jpg

DeFuniak-Springs.jpg

Reactions: billanole
75,000 isn't a small town. Small city maybe.

Anyway.... I currently live in DeFuniak Springs, FL. Population ~5000. Home of one of two naturally round lakes in the world, a renown historic neighborhood and the Chautauqua Assembly.

DeFuniakSpringsAerial.jpg

DefuniakCircleDrive.jpg

DeFuniak-Springs.jpg
Cool spot. I stopped by for a burger some years back and enjoyed the little historic district.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I've never stayed overnight - just stopped a few times for lunch on the way back to Denver from ski towns - but Idaho Springs, CO looks like a really cool little town. Some excellent restaurants, nice looking bars, and the hot springs...
I stopped there one night when heading further west and walked for lodging to a good little Asian eaterie. It was 4 degrees, so the walk was fairly vigorous.

We enjoyed our time in the small resort of Seaside, Oregon last year.
gn-gift_guide_variable_c.jpg

I loved my time in Iowa City at the U of I. I knew when we were leaving it that those would probably be the happiest years of my life, and after 40 years I think they were.

Ocracoke, N.C.
Staunton, Va.
Asheville, N.C.
Brevard, N.C.
Bradford, PA
Bar Harbor, ME
I have heard nice things about Asheville but when I’m riding in that area I always stay in Black Mountain, about 10 miles east of Asheville. That is a small town that I like visiting.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Town must have less than 75,000 residents. I'll start.

Bozeman, Montana. Was fortunate enough to spend a week in Bozeman this past June. Hiking and fishing is great, very nice restaurant and bar scene, with a couple of breweries located in and around town. Montana State University located there, too. Yellowstone about an hour and half away. Highly recommend.
Isnt that where cops carry pictures of the fb team due to all the rapes?

I have heard nice things about Asheville but when I’m riding in that area I always stay in Black Mountain, about 10 miles east of Asheville. That is a small town that I like visiting.
Yeah, Black Mountain is nice. You need to try to make it over to Asheville sometime.

Reactions: ggmike1992
Monroeville, AL. Home of Harper Lee (author of To Kill a Mockingbird).

Yes, it's pretty much back woods Alabama. That said, the people are friendly, and genuine.

Others -

Helen, GA
Cherokee, NC
Grand Junction, CO
Franklin, TN

Last edited:
The stretch of towns on Hwy. 61 in Minnesota;

Winona
Lake City
Red Wing

All great little burgs.

Yep. All the little towns up and down the Upper Mississippi have a degree of serenity to them. I've been to Winona and after a day thought "I could live here". I prefer smaller towns, say 5,000 or lower. I've done some big city living, and have had my fill. But Winona would work too.

I could see living in any number of small towns in the North Woods of Wisconsin and Minnesota. Eagle River WI (pop. 1,500) or Grand Rapids MN (pop. 10,000) come to mind as ones I've been to recently. Hayward WI (2,500) is also a great example.

Reactions: Tom Paris
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT