ADVERTISEMENT

Electoral Tie

Nov 5, 2011
RDN4d

If Harris fails to win PA, GA, or NC, but wins NV, AZ, MI, WI, and Nebraska's second district, she loses by one electoral vote--

--Unless she flips Maine's second district. In which case, it appears we would have an electoral tie.

If we have electoral tie, will the country survive if a GOP House majority votes for a candidate who not only failed to win the Electoral College but has lost the popular vote three times in a row?

If we have electoral tie, will the country survive if a GOP House majority votes for a candidate who not only failed to win the Electoral College but has lost the popular vote three times in a row?
It'll be the new House that votes. The better question will be whether the country will survive if Trump loses the popular vote by millions AGAIN, ties the electoral, and then LOSES in a newly elected Dem-majority House.

And, @NorthernHawkeye , what I'm implying is that you and yours are bat-shit crazy and will go to war over that kind of result.

It'll be the new House that votes. The better question will be whether the country will survive if Trump loses the popular vote by millions AGAIN, ties the electoral, and then LOSES in a newly elected Dem-majority House.

And, @NorthernHawkeye , what I'm implying is that you and yours are bat-shit crazy and will go to war over that kind of result.

You crazy libs and your civil war talk. Either grow up or get some counseling.

FWIW, to be clear, it's house voting by state rather than by reps. While I suppose a majority of states being d controlled delegations is plausible, as is the possibility of 'flipping' individual reps within some states, I have my doubts as to either scenario, particularly in the context of a 269-269 electoral tie.

Reactions: nelly02
If I’m not mistaken, the Senate would choose the Vice President. In theory we could wind up with Harris and Vance.

The United States does not hold National popular votes for Presidential candidates.

I simply don’t understand why people state this attempting to make a point.

We have no idea who would have won a national popular vote for either candidate in the last three elections or any prior to that either.

That is not our system. Thankfully the tyranny of the majority does not rule these lands.

The United States does not hold National popular votes for Presidential candidates.

I simply don’t understand why people state this attempting to make a point.

We have no idea who would have won a national popular vote for either candidate in the last three elections or any prior to that either.

That is not our system. Thankfully the tyranny of the majority does not rule these lands.

What are you talking about? We don't know who won the popular vote?

What are you talking about? We don't know who won the popular vote?
Point being some people in CA that might vote Republican if it were a national popular vote, but don't vote due to the EC.
Likewise, Democrats in heavy Republican states may choose to not vote since margin of victory makes no difference.

I've pointed out before that in 2016 Trump won the popular vote total in a the 49 states outside of CA. Hillary's entire national popular vote advantage existed in one state. He won 30 states out of 50 outright.

In 2020 Biden and Trump won 25 states each.

Point being some people in CA that might vote Republican if it were a national popular vote, but don't vote due to the EC.
Likewise, Democrats in heavy Republican states may choose to not vote since margin of victory makes no difference.

I've pointed out before that in 2016 Trump won the popular vote total in a the 49 states outside of CA. Hillary's entire national popular vote advantage existed in one state. He won 30 states out of 50 outright.

California residents are not Americans?

And Trump got destroyed by far more if you exclude the popular vote total in a bunch of small states whose combined populations are less than California's. The combined population of half of the states that Trump won is less than the population of California. This notion that where an American lives should determine the value of their vote is nonsense.

And Trump got destroyed by far more if you exclude the popular vote total in a bunch of small states whose combined populations are less than California's. The combined population of half of the states that Trump won is less than the population of California. This notion that where an American lives should determine the value of their vote is nonsense.
Unless you live in a federal Republic, that recognizes and incorporates the sovereignty of its constituent states in its representative model.

This recognition of the role of state sovereignty is why the EU defines a ‘qualified majority’ for many acts that ensure a majority of states, not just population, support a measure for passage. Broad consensus should be required lest the people of small states see their sovereignty trampled by the likes of CA (which is a political outlier in comparison to the rest of the Union).

You guys are now counting people who didn't vote as GOP votes? Couldn't you say the same thing about dem voters in red states? Point of the matter is Dems have won the popular vote going back to 2000. If it wasn't for the electoral college Republican candidates wouldn't have a shot.

Reactions: joelbc1
You guys are now counting people who didn't vote as GOP votes? Couldn't you say the same thing about dem voters in red states?

I’m not counting them, I’m saying that a different system would have different incentives and likely different outcomes, so applying the counts from this system is erroneous. I actually made the point that it could lead to ‘under voting’ in deep blue and red states.

I’m not counting them, I’m saying that a different system would have different incentives and likely different outcomes, so applying the counts from this system is erroneous. I actually made the point that it could lead to ‘under voting’ in deep blue and red states.
But we live in a reality, and in this reality we count up all the votes and Dems mop up the GOP in the total votes. I'm sure there may be different optional systems that we don't use in which Dems beat the GOP by even more, who cares. Trump and Republicans are always claiming hypothetically scenarios, it doesn't do us much good to live in a fantasy.

Last edited:

You may want to have a think about this. It's a classic example of a fallacious argument that falls apart upon close inspection.

You may want to have a think about this. It's a classic example of a fallacious argument that falls apart upon close inspection.
I disagree.
I'm pointing out the relative excess in CA that the electoral college is designed to temper.

The electoral college performs the qualified majority function found in EU governance, just with a more complicated, and elegant considering it's explicitly tied to ever-shifting representation and not wholly arbitrary, formula for that calculation.

Even if the Dems have a solid majority in the House Trump still probably becomes President in this scenario. The vote would be by state by state house delegation, not just a simple vote by the full house. It's a pretty sure bet that the Republicans are going to have a majority when it comes to State by State delegations.

A tie means failing to win - stupid point.

Total popular vote has never, ever mattered. It's not a national vote - stupid point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT