ADVERTISEMENT

Elephant in the room

Ok....except that from 2015-2021 he's been winning at a level never before seen among the same number of seasons in Iowa football history. Fire him though. After the first game of the 2022 season. FICKLE as FECK.
Right!? I think some of that is the divisional alignment, to be sure. But I would love to see some slants, high low routes off play action, and some pulling linemen with the double te sets to offset the stacked box and punish teams for teeing off a little.

It's not going to put 40 points on the board, but maybe it extends a drive or two, fits within the capabilities of our personnel, doesn't take too much pass pro time, and might get us 20 ppg (instead of 3). There's got to be a way.

It's amazing we've recruited the wr's that we have. AB and KJ were big time gets, what the hell is going on with KJ is a mystery. Bostick was a good one also and Mota definitely has the speed.

Iowa's problem is recruiting/development at qb and a lot of people think scheme. Maybe the same about the ol but we our so young there.
I just looked at our OL recruiting from 2018-2020. First problem is we only took 8. Second problems is only 2 of them were listed on the depth chart at any point this off-season. Sounds like Britt is out for the year and Elsbury is banged up.

I heard three (3) different people on podcasts yesterday after the game, make this similar statement...."Let me preface what I am about to say, by stating that I am in no way calling for KF to be on a hotseat or being fired....even if this season completely goes off the rails....he has built up way too much goodwill to be calling for that." My question is, are these individuals sooooo scared to be the first one to God forbid broach the subject that the time may have come to move on from any and everything Ferentz??? I honestly got the feeling with 100% certainty that all three (3) of these individuals wouldn't shed a tear or be upset if he coached his last game this season....you can just tell that those canned statements, were not genuine....they were a way of protecting themselves...nothing more. Not all of us are "all in" anymore with whatever gameplan...or lack thereof...that is thrown out on the field every Saturday. Ferentz fatigue is real with me...has been for about 15 years...the guy never attempts to recruit "next level"....especially at the WR position....Dominique Douglas ruined him forever. His refusal to adapt to the things that are required to reach the next level should be a fireable offense in itself....but when KF's and Barta's expectation is nothing more than winning a waterered down West, I'm not surprised at all that he is still here. He should have been fired in 2014...period.
Is this a real post or are you just ****ing with us?

Ok....except that from 2015-2021 he's been winning at a level never before seen among the same number of seasons in Iowa football history. Fire him though. After the first game of the 2022 season. FICKLE as FECK.
This. Iowa hasn't seen a 7 year run with this level of success so the OP wants to replace him with ... who? Also, the Recruiting the last 4-5 years is a huge jump from where it was 2006 - 2016. Now Iowa is getting way more their first choices instead of relying on last second fallbacks like they did for many years.

When 2 of the 3 phases are so good its insane to say we need to move on from everything KF. The O is the obvious problem and the easy solution would be to outsource it to someone who has had proven results....just not sure if Kirk's ego will allow that

If change is coming I absolutely hope we can retain Phil who is only 59. He is the backbone of the program. I'm all for handing it over to Levar if we can keep Phil

If it's Brian I might be all in on the NFL. Sick of being Nepotism U
Except the same people complained when it was KOK and Greg Davis. I know because I saw it on these boards all the time. This is KF's style ... the team is built to highlight Defense and Special Teams. That is how they have build success and what they rely on. The O is not going to put up big YARDAGE numbers no matter what. Was last game putrid? Yes. Was last year not a great year for the O. Yes. Will the playcalling look better with better OL and QB play. Yes.

The coaches who are at one place for a very long time inevitably stay too long. Consistently it is so. Combination of age and other factors come into play. I hope that KF doesn't go out like that. But he wouldn't be the first. Fry stayed too long. Snyder stayed too long at K-State, Bowden at FSU. Paterno at PSU. Stoops probably did the right thing leaving Oklahoma when he did. Even Alvarez probably stayed as Wisconsin too long as coach. After his consecutive Rose Bowls in 1999 and 2000, his final teams went 5th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 3rd, 3rd in the Big 10. He did have the good sense to get out after those two straight 3rd place finishes.
I agree with this ... the one difference is KF is in the midst of being 44-14 the last 5 seasons, so he's not exactly on a downward slide. And with the stronger recruiting classes they have been bringing in - along with two PREMIER coaches in PP and Woods leading units, they are not trending the wrong way.

I will be interested to see what PP does when KF leaves. He doesn't want to be HC and from what I have "heard", him and KF are pretty tight. They definitely seem to have the same mentality.

If Iowa does go outside for it's next HC, it wouldn't be surprising if that HC wanted to bring in their own DC.

Reactions: AlvySinger
I agree with this ... the one difference is KF is in the midst of being 44-14 the last 5 seasons, so he's not exactly on a downward slide. And with the stronger recruiting classes they have been bringing in - along with two PREMIER coaches in PP and Woods leading units, they are not trending the wrong way.

I will be interested to see what PP does when KF leaves. He doesn't want to be HC and from what I have "heard", him and KF are pretty tight. They definitely seem to have the same mentality.

If Iowa does go outside for it's next HC, it wouldn't be surprising if that HC wanted to bring in their own DC.
Sincerely hope the next HC is Woods.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
KF’s last 6 years don’t hold a candle to Evy’s 1955-60. 3 B10 titles with no weak Western Division, a national championship and serious consideration as a title contender 2 other years. I also would take HF’s 1990-1996
I always love guys who argue that we don't have to play OSU and Michigan every year now, so its a weaker schedule now, but fail to mention that even all the way up to Frys last years, almost nobody in the conference was as good as they are now. Go back and look at Wisconsin, NW, Minnesota, and even Illinois most of those years. PSU wasn't even on the schedule then. You can't just look at at the big 2 and say the schedule, (overall) was harder then.......

You mean the regular season that we followed up by losing 3 of 4??? That smoke and mirrors season??? Was 2015 something special? YES.....but it also helped him throw the dirt off his casket and gave him a lifetime contract....and that was the worst thing that could have happened. BTW, almost EVERYONE wanted him gone following 2014...that is a fact.
Iowa State - 6 in a row
Minnesota - 7 in a row
Illinois - 8 in a row
Nebraska -7 in a row

You could argue, those teams are our major rivals. You don't get rid of a coach who just won his division, and beats his rivals. Throw in Wisconsin too...a team we struggle with if you want to...but at least we haven't lost 10 in a row to Wisconsin or Penn State like Purdue has. Purdue should get rid of Brohm right.

He's won 10 games two of the past three years...idiot. You don't have to go back to 2015. Based on your logic...Fleck, Campbell, Frost, and Bert should all be gone.

Complain about the offense right now...fine, it's completely deserved...stop whining about KF because he's not going anywhere. He's run a great program and he's won...ask Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa State how bad they want to beat Iowa now.

I'm at least going to give the offense time to develop. You have basically an offensive line that is a bunch of guys who have 20 starts between them. They are young. This is likely to take 5-6 weeks for them to improve too. The key is trying to win games while they improve...just like Saturday. We are the second youngest team in the B10...let them play and gain experience.

Iowa State - 6 in a row
Minnesota - 7 in a row
Illinois - 8 in a row
Nebraska -7 in a row

You could argue, those teams are our major rivals. You don't get rid of a coach who just won his division, and beats his rivals. Throw in Wisconsin too...a team we struggle with if you want to...but at least we haven't lost 10 in a row to Wisconsin or Penn State like Purdue has. Purdue should get rid of Brohm right.

He's won 10 games two of the past three years...idiot. You don't have to go back to 2015. Based on your logic...Fleck, Campbell, Frost, and Bert should all be gone.

Complain about the offense right now...fine, it's completely deserved...stop whining about KF because he's not going anywhere. He's run a great program and he's won...ask Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa State how bad they want to beat Iowa now.

I'm at least going to give the offense time to develop. You have basically an offensive line that is a bunch of guys who have 20 starts between them. They are young. This is likely to take 5-6 weeks for them to improve too. The key is trying to win games while they improve...just like Saturday. We are the second youngest team in the B10...let them play and gain experience.
The get rid of KF crowd are going to come out of the woodwork this week. They haven't had a lot of opportunities of late. There has been good points made about how bad the offense and especially the QB is.

Not sure if I would bet against KF being able to turn a close win against a FCS team into another good season.

True, the O-line, like the Old Grey Mare, ain’t what she used to be. And, the play calling, could be better.

BUT, they are NOT the elephant in the room. Both, while a long ways from optimal, are not why we are mired at the bottom of virtually all college offensive categories.

The elephant in the room is # 7.

The O-line or play calling was not responsible for our second drive fizzling at midfield. It ended because of 3 way too tall passes in a row to wide open receivers. Passes average D-3 college QBs routinely make.

The O-line or play calling did not cause our 4th and 2 from the 6 to come up short. The O-line gave # 7 enough protection and the play call was appropriate. It failed because the pass was off target.

This has gone on for 3 damn years, game after game, series after series, key play after key play. Name the play where # 7 ever picked up the O-line, O-coordinator and/ or team by making something out of a sub-optimal situation?

Reactions: hawkcub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT