ADVERTISEMENT

Elite recruit Robert Howard to visit Iowa this weekend

It’s just Purdue, but we need to pack that house out. Spread the word.
As a frame of reference, these are the crowds he got to see on his visits to PSU and Michigan.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The No. 5-ranked University of Michigan wrestling team claimed seven individual bouts, including six of the first seven, to knock off No. 6 Lehigh, 21-13, in the Wolverines' home opener on Sunday evening (Nov. 18) before a crowd of 3,297 fans at Crisler Center.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- No. 1 Penn State (1-0 0-0 B1G) opened up the 2018-19 season with a rousing 52-3 win over No. 24 Kent State (3-5) in sold out Rec Hall. Penn State rode seven pins in its season opener to victory, including two from Lions making their Rec Hall dual debuts. The win was the 46th-straight dual meet victory for Penn State, dating back to the end of the 2014-15 season. The dual was wrestled in front of 6,496 fans, Penn State's 42nd straight Rec Hall sell-out. The Nittany Lions have wrestled in front of sell-outs in 46 of its last 48 home events (42 straight in Rec Hall and four of six in the near-16,000 seat Bryce Jordan Center).

As a frame of reference, these are the crowds he got to see on his visits to PSU and Michigan.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The No. 5-ranked University of Michigan wrestling team claimed seven individual bouts, including six of the first seven, to knock off No. 6 Lehigh, 21-13, in the Wolverines' home opener on Sunday evening (Nov. 18) before a crowd of 3,297 fans at Crisler Center.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- No. 1 Penn State (1-0 0-0 B1G) opened up the 2018-19 season with a rousing 52-3 win over No. 24 Kent State (3-5) in sold out Rec Hall. Penn State rode seven pins in its season opener to victory, including two from Lions making their Rec Hall dual debuts. The win was the 46th-straight dual meet victory for Penn State, dating back to the end of the 2014-15 season. The dual was wrestled in front of 6,496 fans, Penn State's 42nd straight Rec Hall sell-out. The Nittany Lions have wrestled in front of sell-outs in 46 of its last 48 home events (42 straight in Rec Hall and four of six in the near-16,000 seat Bryce Jordan Center).
I'd like 125 and 133 to do what Murin did after his big win last week, give a nod to the crowd. The only thing louder in CHA that a crowd that just saw a fall is the wrestler who got the fall turning to the crowd and asking for more noise. Does not have to be disrespectful or show boat, just a nod to get the crowd hyped even more.

I'd like 125 and 133 to do what Murin did after his big win last week, give a nod to the crowd. The only thing louder in CHA that a crowd that just saw a fall is the wrestler who got the fall turning to the crowd and asking for more noise. Does not have to be disrespectful or show boat, just a nod to get the crowd hyped even more.

How bout slapping his chest and yelling “This is my house!!!!!!!”

It is great to see UM drawing nice crowds also. I love it that kids are wrestling in front of thousands instead of hundreds of people.

Really like this kid. Hoping he chooses the Hawks but I have a bad feeling he ends up in Michigan. But I will be there Saturday trying to do my part to convince him to come to Iowa City. ;)
I think you've said this in another thread about him maybe ending up at Michigan. What makes you think this way? Just wondering.

Really like this kid. Hoping he chooses the Hawks but I have a bad feeling he ends up in Michigan. But I will be there Saturday trying to do my part to convince him to come to Iowa City. ;)
I think you've said this in another thread about him maybe ending up at Michigan. What makes you think this way? Just wondering.
I thought the same thing about Assad. Great student was going to West Point then de-committed. I though Michigan seemed like a solid educational and wrestling alternative. We all know how that ended. I’m not saying Howard will be a Hawk, but there is a vibe in that room right now that makes it hard too say no.

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
Just looks like the right fit for him. I would be sad but would understand why. He reminds me of Gilman(one of my all time favorites). I really like him and feel Iowa would be the best fit but it's his decision and everything I have seen or heard says he is going to Michigan. I have been wrong before and hope I am with Howard as well.

Just looks like the right fit for him. I would be sad but would understand why. He reminds me of Gilman(one of my all time favorites). I really like him and feel Iowa would be the best fit but it's his decision and everything I have seen or heard says he is going to Michigan. I have been wrong before and hope I am with Howard as well.

Spencer will turn him to the darkside.

Well of course it looks like that after his visit last week to Michigan. Looked like psu the week before. He’s never been to Iowa correct? IC may win him over. Are those the only three schools he will be visiting? I’m just trying to stay positive in this.

Reactions: HIWILLE
The dual was wrestled in front of 6,496 fans, Penn State's 42nd straight Rec Hall sell-out. The Nittany Lions have wrestled in front of sell-outs in 46 of its last 48 home events (42 straight in Rec Hall and four of six in the near-16,000 seat Bryce Jordan Center).
Ok, can someone please take a moment to explain?

hope you are right pinter, i am not sure about this guy. he is a talent for sure, don't know if he is a hawkeye in his heart.

Ok, can someone please take a moment to explain?
Someone a bit more knowledgeable can get into more detail, but I think the BJC charges teams other than BBall a fee for its use - even other Penn State teams. It’s also booked for a lot of other events. Thus, there are not a lot of open dates, and you’ve got to pay a fair amount to play there - while REC Hall is free.

Plus, it’s got lousy ambiance. I believe building the BJC for BBall was one of the prices Penn State had to pay for entry into the Big - they needed an indoor facility of a certain size. It lacks character, however.

I wish the school would build a bigger REC Hall type of place while keeping the sightlines and atmosphere for its top Olympic sports like wrestling and volleyball. It would let more of the fan base be able to attend duals.

Penn State has two venues.
1) Rec Hall - seats about 6,500
2) Bryce Jordan Center - seats about 16,000

The Kent State dual was in Rec Hall and they sold out.

I guess it would tantamount to Iowa wrestling some meets at the fieldhouse (when it had bleachers) and some at CHA. It is an interesting comparison to the curtain.

When they wrestle in Rec Hall, they are guaranteed a sellout. The only select wrestle duals are in BJC and then it's usually 15K. I would guess they would get that for Michigan.

FWIW, Iowa will have to average about 7,700 to stay in the hunt to keep the attendance record.

I guess it would tantamount to Iowa wrestling some meets at the fieldhouse (when it had bleachers) and some at CHA. It is an interesting comparison to the curtain.

When they wrestle in Rec Hall, they are guaranteed a sellout. The only select wrestle duals are in BJC and then it's usually 15K. I would guess they would get that for Michigan.

FWIW, Iowa will have to average about 7,700 to stay in the hunt to keep the attendance record.

That's not far off from the number of season tickets Iowa sells so the streak is likely safe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT