ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN CFP Picks after Week 3: Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, IOWA

• i

ESPN staff
  • 9:51 PM CT
Week 3 came and showed fans something we haven't seen in a while: Alabama tested deep into the fourth quarter.

It looked like the Crimson Tide were on their way to another rout, racking up a 21-3 lead in the first half, but the Florida Gators did not back down despite the early deficit. The Alabama lead dwindled to two, 31-29, late in the fourth quarter, but the Tide defense held on a two-point conversion. Then the offense drained the clock, finally giving the ball back to the Gators with 10 seconds left in the game. Alabama held on for the 31-29 victory and land in the No. 1 spot on every writers' list.

Following the big win at Iowa State, the Iowa Hawkeyes won a very Iowa Hawkeyes game, scoring a touchdown in each quarter and grinding Kent State down in the 30-7 win. The Hawkeyes land in six lists after a 3-0 start, but it's Penn State that makes the biggest impact on the lists this week.

The Nittany Lions outlasted Auburn, 28-20, in front of a thunderous White Out at State College. Sean Clifford finished 28-of-32 for 280 yards and two scores in Penn State's second win over a ranked team this season. The win earns the Nittany Lions six votes this week.

The Oklahoma Sooners were pushed to the end by former Big 8 rivals, Nebraska, but managed to hold on for a 23-16 victory in Norman. It was a relatively quiet day for Heisman-frontrunner Spencer Rattler, who finished 24-of-34 for 214 yards and and a touchdown. He also added 35 yards on the ground and touchdown against the Huskers but the Sooners' offense never got in a steady flow Saturday. The closer-than-expected victory lands Oklahoma on two of 13 lists this week.

Georgia maintained its position on each of our writers' lists following an impressive 40-13 win against South Carolina. Oregon was nearly a unanimous selection once again after taking care of business against Stony Brook. The Ducks will be a mainstay until the Pac-12 schedule heats up in mid-October.

Andrea Adelson: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Iowa, 4. Oregon
Kyle Bonagura: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Iowa
Bill Connelly: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Iowa, 4. Penn State
Heather Dinich: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Penn State
David M. Hale: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Penn State, 4. Oregon
Chris Low: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Iowa, 4. Oregon
Harry Lyles Jr.: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Iowa
Ryan McGee: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Penn State
Adam Rittenberg: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Penn State
Alex Scarborough: 1. Alabama, 2.Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Oklahoma
Mark Schlabach: 1. Georgia, 2. Alabama, 3. Oregon, 4. Iowa
Tom VanHaaren: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Penn State
Dave Wilson: 1. Alabama, 2. Georgia, 3. Oregon, 4. Oklahoma

Most Popular Playoff Picks​

TEAM (RECORD)VOTES
Alabama (3-0)13/13
Georgia (3-0)13/13
Oregon (3-0)12/13
Iowa (3-0)6/13
Penn State (3-0)6/13
Oklahoma (3-0)2/13

You know what's really great is, should Iowa and PSU take care of the next two opponents, the game in 3 weeks will determine which one is the unanimous choice amongst this group to make it to the CFP.

• Haha
Reactions: Golf_Bravo_Romeo
One guy had both Penn St and IOWA on his list. That's pretty unlikely. Would have to mean they split (one wins in Kinnick, the other wins the BTT game). I gotta believe a one loss SEC team would get in over one of 'em.

One guy had both Penn St and IOWA on his list. That's pretty unlikely. Would have to mean they split (one wins in Kinnick, the other wins the BTT game). I gotta believe a one loss SEC team would get in over one of 'em.
That only one loss SEC team will be Georgia or Bama. That person has those 2 in and Oregon missing out. If they lose a game they are out. The PAC-12 and ACC are both really bad this year.

That only one loss SEC team will be Georgia or Bama. That person has those 2 in and Oregon missing out. If they lose a game they are out. The PAC-12 and ACC are both really bad this year.
Except that Oregon beat tOSU in Columbus. Unless Oregon drops two (or tOSU loses 3+ taking some of the shine off that win) they'd likely get a bid. The NCAA would love to have the West Coast engaged if possible. It would also help make the case for an increased playoff field.

Last edited:
Except that Oregon beat tOSU in Columbus. Unless Oregon drops two (or tOSU loses 3+ somewhat negating that win) they'd likely get a bid. It would be perfect fodder for an increased playoff field.
A one loss Oregon team won't get in given how weak their conference is.

Perhaps not. What if they go undefeated? Then only the B1G winner would likely go and a 12-1 Penn St or IOWA team would be left out.

What about a 13-0 Oklahoma? The "big" 12 ain't exactly a juggernaut. Would you take undefeated Okie and Oregon over a 1 loss PSU or IOWA?

I think no matter what happens you'll have a great case for a larger playoff field.

That really depends. The PAC is not a very good conference this year, but neither are the ACC or the Big 12. The B1G's rep took a hit due to OSU not looking like OSU (let's be honest - fair or not, the perception is that OSU carries the conference), and even the mighty SEC doesn't seem to be all that great outside of Bama and UGA.

Oregon may or may not get in at 12-1. The committee might be willing to overlook a 28-21 loss to UCLA (who seems to be the second best team in the PAC), but if it gets thumped by Oregon State 35-17 in Rivalry Week, forget it. It's a fresh loss and against a mediocre (at best) team. UCLA is still technically in it, but while Oregon (barely) survived Fresno, UCLA couldn't finish them off. Not a horrible loss, but still a loss. Their margin for error is razor thin. They're going to have to find a way to beat Oregon twice and they'll be lucky to split. And it's possible USC may put together a run of sorts to rally around their acting head coach. If Donte Williams can get the Trojans to win the South and at least put up a massive fight against Oregon, it might be hard to turn him away. He's going to have to kill it in his audition (i.e. 9-1) to get the full-time job though.

Clemson is going to have to wake up and start owning the ACC again. They're already on the outside looking in and just winning out might not be enough, not without some help.

Oklahoma is playing with fire. WVU and K-State might tag them in the next couple of weeks if they're not careful. ISU already has a loss and got exposed on national television against Iowa. If they win out, they'd at least have two wins over (presumably) Oklahoma, but by then OU might be 10-3 (guessing at least one other team tags them) and probably outside the Top 10. But beating OU twice is probably worth more than beating OSU once, or playing Georgia tough. Big 12 is probably the third-most likely conference to get a one-loss team in after the SEC and B1G but there are no guarantees.

Perhaps not. What if they go undefeated? Then only the B1G winner would likely go and a 12-1 Penn St or IOWA team would be left out.

What about a 13-0 Oklahoma? The "big" 12 ain't exactly a juggernaut. Would you take undefeated Okie and Oregon over a 1 loss PSU or IOWA?

I think no matter what happens you'll have a great case for a larger playoff field.
Undefeated Oregon more than likely gets in. Undefeated B1G champ gets in for sure. Undefeated Oklahoma gets in but I think it's unlikely they go undefeated. If Oregon, OK, and B1G Champs are Undefeated I see all them going vs the SEC champion.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer

Many scenarios continue to build the case for an expanded playoff. I think it's qualitatively quite different when looking at the specifics when it comes to which teams get left out of the number 4 spot vs. the number 8/12/16 spot depending how big the playoff field is. The more it expands the weaker the argument becomes that a "deserving" team was left out. Sure, there would be bitching from the #17 team. So what?
Some purists already don't like the CFP. I'm not one of them. Playoffs are here and it's very unlikely there'd be a return to the pre-playoff era of college football. Now the argument is really about how many teams should be in.

Many scenarios continue to build the case for an expanded playoff. I think it's qualitatively quite different when looking at the specifics when it comes to which teams get left out of the number 4 spot vs. the number 8/12/16 spot depending how big the playoff field is. The more it expands the weaker the argument becomes that a "deserving" team was left out. Sure, there would be bitching from the #17 team. So what?
Some purists already don't like the CFP. I'm not one of them. Playoffs are here and it's very unlikely there'd be a return to the pre-playoff era of college football. Now the argument is really about how many teams should be in.
I still think 8 is the ideal number. A slot for each P5 Champ and 3 at large. I don't think a #9 ranked team has ever had a case for the NC...though we could end up with a conference champ that low.

Reactions: rchawk
Except that Oregon beat tOSU in Columbus. Unless Oregon drops two (or tOSU loses 3+ taking some of the shine off that win) they'd likely get a bid. The NCAA would love to have the West Coast engaged if possible. It would also help make the case for an increased playoff field.

yeah, right now it's hard to leave Oregon out

good god...the frequency of douche bag trolls who think they're clever is staggering ..G_B_R

PSU didn't even practice together the first 5 games.. they never even finished the O install.. yet they bombed you guys on a couple of huge plays.

PSU Can Do That, Maryland Can Do That... but that's it. The whole west comes down to Iowa simply trying to keep up with the East. No Michigan and no Michigan State are a huge plus.

They are going to have to even out East/West.. the talent disparity is only growing. Rutgers prob has more team speed than Iowa, Wisconsin, or Nebraska.. Maryland surely does.
Might want to save your East Division elitist intimidation tactics for a West Division team that hasn't won their last 3 games against the East and beat every team in that division the last time they played them by an average score of 39-8, save a 7-point loss to Michigan; and absolutely destroyed Ohio St the last time they played.

Last edited:
Before we think about a matchup with Bama, how about concentrating on winning the west and winning the B1G Championship Game first? We still have a long way to go including games with Penn State and on the road at Wisconsin.
We’re fans. It’s exciting to speculate.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Might want to save your East Division elitist intimidation tactics for a West Division team that hasn't won their last 3 games against the East and beat every team in that division the last time they played them by an average score of 39-8, save a 7-point loss to Michigan; and absolutely destroyed Ohio St the last time they played.
you are proving my point today.. you played Ohio State after they had no legs vs PSU.

PSU didn't even practice together the first 5 games.. they never even finished the O install.. yet they bombed you guys on a couple of huge plays.

PSU Can Do That, Maryland Can Do That... but that's it. The whole west comes down to Iowa simply trying to keep up with the East. No Michigan and no Michigan State are a huge plus.

They are going to have to even out East/West.. the talent disparity is only growing. Rutgers prob has more team speed than Iowa, Wisconsin, or Nebraska.. Maryland surely does.
Bump

(Just in case @Nihilist Rodgers wants to come back and let us know again how dominant the B1G East is, and especially how Maryland has such a speed advantage over Iowa)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT