ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Coverage

tigerguy_

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2003
was great all tournament.

Yes Billy Baldwin annoys the shit out of me, and yes the story-line pimping PSU-OSU got old, but I understand it.

But to be able to watch whatever match I wanted in flawless crystal clear HD with knowledgeable announcers matside that weren't screaming at me like FLO does, or having the mandatory FLO loss of coverage during a session was great. Admittedly FLO was better with coverage this year, but ESPN showed again why I'm glad they handle this week.

Tweet @ESPNU and let them know if they liked it

was great all tournament.

Yes Billy Baldwin annoys the shit out of me, and yes the story-line pimping PSU-OSU got old, but I understand it.

But to be able to watch whatever match I wanted in flawless crystal clear HD with knowledgeable announcers matside that weren't screaming at me like FLO does, or having the mandatory FLO loss of coverage during a session was great. Admittedly FLO was better with coverage this year, but ESPN showed again why I'm glad they handle this week.

Tweet @ESPNU and let them know if they liked it

No complaints regarding the ESPN coverage, but they did drop the ball having Quint interview the wrestlers. There was plenty of talent available to ask better questions of the competitors. Best reply was "Wrestling is hard" by Kyle Snyder & Quint trying to interview Tom Brands between Hawk matches.

No complaints regarding the ESPN coverage, but they did drop the ball having Quint interview the wrestlers. There was plenty of talent available to ask better questions of the competitors. Best reply was "Wrestling is hard" by Kyle Snyder & Quint trying to interview Tom Brands between Hawk matches.
Quint works really hard. Could the questions be better? Sure. But there are lots of dumb questions asked by the other media back in the press conference too.

What I find interesting is the number of interviews post match that got people talking, whether it was Conel and his crazy eyes or Bo saying that's what we do. I think he does fine with what he is given and the orders he is given

I also loved the 8-mat streaming coverage. Watched it on my 50 inch tv which was just awesome. Being able to select whatever matchup I wanted at any time was just beautiful. No streaming issues. I loved it.

Also, Shane Sparks was the best of the eight mat-announcers.

Quint works really hard. Could the questions be better? Sure. But there are lots of dumb questions asked by the other media back in the press conference too.

What I find interesting is the number of interviews post match that got people talking, whether it was Conel and his crazy eyes or Bo saying that's what we do. I think he does fine with what he is given and the orders he is given
Can't say I'm his biggest fan, but it is a tough gig and he has to talk to a lot of guys over several days and try to come up with something "new". He does just fine IMO.

I've been to a lot of NCAA Tournaments, but when I can sit at home and watch with crystal clear clarity and any match I want to, yes, they're doing a great job. I rarely watch ESPN for anything other than a game anymore (I do like Scott Van Pelt but little else - the rest of their shows are way too left or way too loud or both), but they are doing a great job with the DI NCAA Wrestling Tournament for sure.

Here is my problem...I actually got on here tonight because I was so annoyed with the coverage. I agree the mat coverage was really cool. I am a former basketball player and casual wrestling fan, so I may very well be completely off-base. I watched the full finals coverage and never saw one graphic or mention of the actual team scores.

No "PSU needs a pin here" or "OSU will win if..." It was absolutely crazy to me. It was like watching a game without a scoreboard. Then Bo gets the pin and they finally mention PSU just won?! It seemed crazy.

Reactions: Dagboi
I also loved the 8-mat streaming coverage. Watched it on my 50 inch tv which was just awesome. Being able to select whatever matchup I wanted at any time was just beautiful. No streaming issues. I loved it.

Also, Shane Sparks was the best of the eight mat-announcers.
He did a great job, for sure. He's getting better at all of his duties, and a lot calmer.......

Reactions: tigerguy_
Here is my problem...I actually got on here tonight because I was so annoyed with the coverage. I agree the mat coverage was really cool. I am a former basketball player and casual wrestling fan, so I may very well be completely off-base. I watched the full finals coverage and never saw one graphic or mention of the actual team scores.

No "PSU needs a pin here" or "OSU will win if..." It was absolutely crazy to me. It was like watching a game without a scoreboard. Then Bo gets the pin and they finally mention PSU just won?! It seemed crazy.
You might be right, but I would find that extremely hard to believe. Certainly they talked about it during every match that involved one of the two teams in the race (granted if you know the drill, the score, etc., it's just background noise then! Ha!). Graphically I have no idea.

Today I saw Golic wearing a USA Wrestling shirt on his show. Not sure if he said anything about it but it was cool.
Yes, they did spend at least a few minutes on the tournament, particularly Nickal's pin that clinched the title. Golic also mentioned Spencer Lee and Yianni D. as the true freshman winners- first time there's been more than one in decades.

It was top right corner once the Zain match started.

depends on the session or what you were watching. on espn during medal consis they skipped entire matches to interview a coach, or even a former wrestler in the stands. idc about feel good stories. i want to watch sports.

Reactions: Hunter78
depends on the session or what you were watching. on espn during medal consis they skipped entire matches to interview a coach, or even a former wrestler in the stands. idc about feel good stories. i want to watch sports.
and that is why espn3 was primo all tournament

and that is why espn3 was primo all tournament

Agreed.

Here's the thing with most of these sports networks: when the are delivering CONTENT, they are great, but when they add the bells and whistles and try to appeal the casual or non-fan. they fall flat, and actually turn off the die-hards.

It's the same thing with the Olympics. The internet coverage is FANTASTIC, and the NBCSN coverage is good, but the NBC prime time coverage is dreadful. ESPN is similar.

Less Baldwin
Interviews in between matches finals only..other rounds find an assistant coach to talk about the match for some insight.
There were other great storylines to pimp other than Snyder and the F** 5

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Already one match into the Women's World Cup broadcast on NBCSN and it's obvious how much better their coverage is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT