ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN lays off employees, with more cuts to come

Keyshawn and Kellerman...there goes their morning show. While getting ready for work during the school year I usually would listen to them from roughly 530am to 6. Wasn't a bad show, but then again I was only putting a half hour in. They were "tolerable", and while I don't really care for Max at all Keyshawn I actually thought was pretty good.

So, this morning I was driving to Menards a little after 6am and was listening to ESPN. I noticed that no Max/Key on (the subs were tagging the show as still their show). I remember thinking it was odd they were gone given that NBA free agency begins tomorrow I believe.

Must have been getting the word as their show (per the plugs by the subs) was airing...OUCH.

Reactions: lucas80
The real tragedy here is Ashley Brewer. I figured she'd make it on looks alone, her legs would deem her unfireable in my book. Not a SVP fan but her and Stan Verette on the late SC was worth tuning in for me.

Haven't heard if Zubin Mahenti made it but I remember him from his days in iowa, seemed like a good dude. Think he was at the abc affiliate in ames IIRC

Reactions: NoleinATL
Surprising the salaries got as high as they did.

You have ESPN and Fox Sports.

Bidding against yourself at some point.

Surprising the salaries got as high as they did.

You have ESPN and Fox Sports.

Bidding against yourself at some point.
For real? Athletic salaries have been off the rails for decades. I should have gone into sports.

I know no one here watches any of the personality shows but do you know anyone that actually watches the Stephen A.’s of the world? Clearly plenty of people are watching if they value him that much.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I know no one here watches any of the personality shows but do you know anyone that actually watches the Stephen A.’s of the world? Clearly plenty of people are watching if they value him that much.
I feel like they've got to be counting gym treadmill TVs that stay on ESPN all day. I've never heard s single person ask "Hey - did you catch Stephen A today?!".

For real? Athletic salaries have been off the rails for decades. I should have gone into sports.
Talking heads are not athletes.

Where is a talking head going to go if fox and ESPN refuse raises?

Kwwl ?

Sports leagues have 30+ teams willing to pay for measurable results.

Keyshawn and Kellerman...there goes their morning show. While getting ready for work during the school year I usually would listen to them from roughly 530am to 6. Wasn't a bad show, but then again I was only putting a half hour in. They were "tolerable", and while I don't really care for Max at all Keyshawn I actually thought was pretty good.

So, this morning I was driving to Menards a little after 6am and was listening to ESPN. I noticed that no Max/Key on (the subs were tagging the show as still their show). I remember thinking it was odd they were gone given that NBA free agency begins tomorrow I believe.

Must have been getting the word as their show (per the plugs by the subs) was airing...OUCH.
I watched that show a lot. Kellerman tried too hard to be cute, and to needle his co-hosts, but it was interesting. What’s weird is they’ve announce Max and Keyshawn are gone, but I haven’t seen that Jay was let go. That’s awkward.

Last edited:
I watched that show a lot. Keller man tried too hard to be cute, and to needle his co-hosts, but it was interesting. What’s weird is they’ve announce Max and Keyshawn are gone, but I haven’t seen that Jay was let go. That’s awkward.
They turned Kellerman into a hot take machine. The guy was originally one of their best boxing analysts.

I watched that show a lot. Kellerman tried too hard to be cute, and to needle his co-hosts, but it was interesting. What’s weird is they’ve announce Max and Keyshawn are gone, but I haven’t seen that Jay was let go. That’s awkward.

Jays contract is up for renewal later this year, so they can just not renew at that point is what I read

Draft Kings, Fan Duel or any other numerous shows and podcasts, the landscape has expanded beyond Fox/ESPN
Takes about 10,000 downloads to make $500-$900. Considering ESPN and fox is background workout type noise that’s asking a lot to have such a huge following for people to seek it out on their phone and download it. Podcasts is also beyond Saturated.

If your angle is gambling. You better be giving winning advice of you will be exposed.

Takes about 10,000 downloads to make $500-$900. Considering ESPN and fox is background workout type noise that’s asking a lot to have such a huge following for people to seek it out on their phone and download it. Podcasts is also beyond Saturated.

If your angle is gambling. You better be giving winning advice of you will be exposed.

It has changed beyond just gambling advice, large gambling sites are operating traditional sports broadcasts (podcasts) to drive traffic, here is a good article about the change

Lebetard, is the gold standard, for the switch but even people like Golic Jr are making very good money on the hosted podcast deals.

I have watched a little of their morning show the last few days to give it a shot, and I am very underwhelmed. I have no idea who Evan Cohen and Michelle Smallmon are, or why I should care what they think. Chris Canty is good enough, but for a national show you need people with heft and gravitas. Cohen and Smallmon don't bring that.

Based on the new radio lineup, I think it is fair to say ESPN no longer values ESPN Radio as it did at one time.

Something ESPN but not radio-related, I do not get the Pat McAfee love. I understand this may be an age-related issue, but the bombastic approach to interviews and sports opinions is too similar to that of Stephen A. Smith stylistically for me to take him seriously.
And you are a grown man, get a shirt that has some damn sleeves if you are going to be walking across my lawn

Last edited:
I have watched a little of their morning show the last few days to give it a shot, and I am very underwhelmed. I have no idea who Evan Cohen and Michelle Smallmon are, or why I should care what they think. Chris Canty is good enough, but for a national show you need people with heft and gravitas. Cohen and Smallmon don't bring that.
The older I get, the more sports talk TV and radio puzzles me. I get watching a game/event. I get being interested in news and recaps. But the opinion stuff??

I realized they’re just talking to fill time and that their opinion is no better than the drunk in the bar. Even if they do have a bit more insight than the average person, they throw out insane comments just to make waves or to argue opposite the other talking head.

What a waste of time it is to watch/listen to that garbage. Stop making blowhards rich.

Twitter morans were bitching about Mina Kimes getting paid, even though she does everything and appears everywhere.

Meanwhile, tank top dude gets a free pass because he brought a wrestling personality to ESPN.

The older I get, the more sports talk TV and radio puzzles me. I get watching a game/event. I get being interested in news and recaps. But the opinion stuff??

I realized they’re just talking to fill time and that their opinion is no better than the drunk in the bar. Even if they do have a bit more insight than the average person, they throw out insane comments just to make waves or to argue opposite the other talking head.

What a waste of time it is to watch/listen to that garbage. Stop making blowhards rich.
If you are talking about Stephen A. Smith, or Skip Bayless, sure. I flip right past them as I channel surf. But, I get a lot of value out of the analysis from some of the ex players, and the reporters with good sources.

If you are talking about Stephen A. Smith, or Skip Bayless, sure. I flip right past them as I channel surf. But, I get a lot of value out of the analysis from some of the ex players, and the reporters with good sources.
I caught like two minutes of a panel show and Mina and someone else competent were discussing how the Lions switched to zone defense in the second half, and how the Chiefs weren’t able to respond without Kelce.

Flip over to Stephen A. and it’s the same bullshit as always “is the Chiefs run over?” based entirely on feelings.

I realized Chris "Bear" Fallica was on the Fox Kickoff show. Assume he got the boot from GameDay?

Smallmon was like a producer on the Russillo - Kanell show back in the day. Shocked to hear she has a national gig on air.

I realized Chris "Bear" Fallica was on the Fox Kickoff show. Assume he got the boot from GameDay?
I read that he chose to leave for a better offer at Fox. ESPN is deciding who their winners and losers will be either by offering more money, offering less or straight up firing.

Reactions: Finance85
Based on the new radio lineup, I think it is fair to say ESPN no longer values ESPN Radio as it did at one time.

I think that at the moment, Disney/ESPN is bleeding so much money overall that ESPN's new radio "format" is no matter what, they can't cost a lot of money.

Bad, good...doesn't matter. Just so long as they come cheap, you're hired.

Pat McAfee was fun for awhile on Game Day, and in segments, but several hours per day of him gets old fast. As I said way back when ESPN announced changes, they are about to get louder.

meet-erin-dolan-stunning-espn-827132701.jpg
I’ve noticed ESPN talent has really improved recently

Reactions: Finance85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT